Thread: Substitute For Sour Cream?

Default Substitute For Sour Cream?

I'm wanting to make the recipe Reck posted to her blog....."Ham and Swiss Casserole". It calls for 1 cup of sour cream, and I hate the taste of it. Was wondering if there is a good sub for this recipe? I usually pass over recipes that call for sour cream, but this one sounds too good to pass up.

Here's the recipe link.....

https://blueskyahead.blogspot.com/20...casserole.html

Cream cheese or yogurt? Do you like either of those?

Here is a guide: https://www.thespruce.com/sour-cream...alents-1807479

Excerpt:

• Cooked sauces: 1 cup yogurt plus 1 tablespoon flour plus 2 teaspoons water.
    • Cooked sauces: 1 cup evaporated milk plus 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice. Let stand 5 minutes to thicken.

Those would probably be what you want. Other sections are baking, dips, and low-fat.

I'm not a sour cream fan but in many recipes it's not noticeable. Don't know if that would be the case with the one you're working, but I would use sour cream in it and be just fine. You may be more sensitive to its flavor, though.

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. We love, because He first loved us. -- I John 4:18-19

Whoever derides their neighbor has no sense, but the one who has understanding holds their tongue. -- Proverbs 11:12.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFish
    Cream cheese or yogurt? Do you like either of those?

Here is a guide: https://www.thespruce.com/sour-cream...alents-1807479

Excerpt:

• Cooked sauces: 1 cup yogurt plus 1 tablespoon flour plus 2 teaspoons water.
    • Cooked sauces: 1 cup evaporated milk plus 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice. Let stand 5 minutes to thicken.

Those would probably be what you want. Other sections are baking, dips, and low-fat.

I'm not a sour cream fan but in many recipes it's not noticeable. Don't know if that would be the case with the one you're working, but I would use sour cream in it and be just fine. You may be more sensitive to its flavor, though.
    Thanks, LF. No, I don't like the sour taste of sour cream, buttermilk, or yogurt even cooked into a recipe. I never use any of those.

I was thinking of maybe using Half & Half, or whipping cream. If the recipe called for just a small amount of sour cream, I would just leave it out altogether, but this one calls for a whole cup. Yuck.....

full milk unsweetened plain yogurt, which is pretty much the same as sour cream, just less fat
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

Quote Originally Posted by Lenno
    full milk unsweetened plain yogurt, which is pretty much the same as sour cream, just less fat
    Thanks, Lenno. I don't like the taste of yogurt, either. It taste too much like sour cream to me.

I guess I'm just too sensitive to the sour taste. I can eat dishes brought to pot lucks and such that have sour cream in them, without even knowing it's in there, and I can pick up on that sour taste every time. It's not a taste I prefer.

I'll just experiment with the recipe, and see what I can come up with.

Basic white milk gravy. It's basically sour cream without the sourness. Melt butter, stir in flour, add milk, stir on stove top till it thickens to desired consistency.
    But what weapons can you use to dispossess someone who will not accept anything except Holy Scripture interpreted according to his own rules?...Where Lutheranism reigns, learning dies. They seek only two things: good pay and a wife. The gospel offers them the rest — that is, the power of living as they please.

I understand now how Arius and Tertullian and Wickliff were driven into schism by malicious clergy and wicked monks.

(Erasmus regarding Luther and the church, 1527, 1529)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiskey Reb
    Basic white milk gravy. It's basically sour cream without the sourness. Melt butter, stir in flour, add milk, stir on stove top till it thickens to desired consistency.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherree View Post
    Thank you.
    My pleasure....
    But what weapons can you use to dispossess someone who will not accept anything except Holy Scripture interpreted according to his own rules?...Where Lutheranism reigns, learning dies. They seek only two things: good pay and a wife. The gospel offers them the rest — that is, the power of living as they please.

I understand now how Arius and Tertullian and Wickliff were driven into schism by malicious clergy and wicked monks.

(Erasmus regarding Luther and the church, 1527, 1529)