Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: June 2-4: The Weekend Thread -- Chill Time Edition

Party at RLM's all weekend!
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths. -- Proverbs 3:5-6

If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor. -- John 12:26

Wow rlm! So are you still in SC? I second what Meem said about making house handicap accessible. In 2000 when we bought the lake house in CT 865sf, we gutted and remodeled making 36' doorways, levered handles, no steps, nice bath with whirlpool overlooking the lake.... made the guys redo the window twice to get it just right. LOL I could lay in warm bubbles and look out over the lake. Well the dream went when the taxes went up to over $8k a year and retirement income didn't make it.

I like our new 55+ community but there are some issues with the 40 yo single wide mobile that may not work well in another 5-10 yr. The 4 steps in will need a ramp and the doors aren't wide enough for a wheelchair, but we did replace the doorknobs with levers.

God Bless your new adventure. Love Gib
    Last edited by Gib; 06-03-2017 at 08:25 AM. Reason: not awake

Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
    RLM Not to be a downer, but think "retire in place" design then. Make sure you are leaving enough room for a wheelchair or a scooter. Some people hate "Open floor plans," but they are a godsend if you need to use a wheelchair or walker. Keep that in mind in the bathroom, as well. Consider a first-floor laundry room!

All of these things will allow you to stay in your house. Don't make my father's mistake: the main bathroom was on the second floor, as well as the bedrooms. At one point, he could no longer climb the stairs, nor could one of those seats be installed. He moved into the living room and was apparently taking sponge baths in the kitchen sink (!)

Eventually, the county removed him to a nursing home, but that's another story for another day.
    That has been part of the thought process from the get go. All main living areas, at least for us, will be on the ground floor even if we end up with a 2 story house. And many of the design features will be about usability as we get older.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib View Post
    Wow rlm! So are you still in SC? I second what Meem said about making house handicap accessible. In 2000 when we bought the lake house in CT 865sf, we gutted and remodeled making 36' doorways, levered handles, no steps, nice bath with whirlpool overlooking the lake.... made the guys redo the window twice to get it just right. LOL I could lay in warm bubbles and look out over the lake. Well the dream went when the taxes went up to over $8k a year and retirement income didn't make it.

I like our new 55+ community but there are some issues with the 40 yo single wide mobile that may not work well in another 5-10 yr. The 4 steps in will need a ramp and the doors aren't wide enough for a wheelchair, but we did replace the doorknobs with levers.

God Bless your new adventure. Love Gib

Yeah, we are still in SC which is my compromise. I wanted Fl for several reasons, but finding lake front property of a decent size on a lake not drying up at a reasonable price was just not working out. Many of the properties we were shown had lots of docks that ended before the water started or were not a lot larger than 1/2 to 1 acres in size. The water depth on this one drops from ground level to about 15 feet deep just 10 feet or so from the shore line. Not sure how deep it is in the middle yet but will have a boat on the water in the coming weeks and will find out then. I do know that it is spring fed and when it over fills it feeds into a couple of more lakes down stream.

Honestly didn't think we would find anything is SC like we wanted and then stumbled upon this hidden lake and fell in love with the place from day one. I don't know how accurate the guy that sold it to us was but he said he bought a couple of hundred acres plot and then stumbled accross the lake as he was marking the land for subdividing property to sell. There is one last piece available next to the one we bought and we are considering grabbing that one up as well.

Now I have to go play Paul Bunyan and start cutting trees that are trying to block my driveway and hunt for a mystery boundary marker I haven't been able to locate. And taking a few breaks to catch some fish and fly the drone.

You have fun with your fishin and droning �� Very happy for you ����
    "The key to life is how well you deal with plan B "... Stephen Dias

RLM almost thou persuadest me to be a South Carolinian.
    One day or Day one?

Good Morning! A beauty of a day. Look forward to seeing you this evening Meemur. Hammer, check the winner for Friday's game, it was mistaken.

Ditto, Reck! Enjoy this day! The humidity has dropped and it will be one of those endless blue sky days that we love out here.

The breakfast buffet is open! Enjoy!

I'm off to Lowe's for more broad-leaf weed killer.

We have cleaned up the Coach, outside, and inside for the 1st time since we left Florida. The men from the Factory were in here for 10 days, and it was due for a good cleaning. All woodwork, upholestry, mirrors. Done!! I hope all you guys are enjoying good weather also. Great day for a walk with Tucker.