Thread: ham radio Field Day June 24/25 2017

Default ham radio Field Day June 24/25 2017

[crossposted]
    Talking of comms, I wanted to remind any interested Monkeys to find your local ham radio club and visit them at their Field Day setup this weekend.

On display and in use will be examples of many of the antennas and radios we've discussed here. If you get there while they're setting up, you can see them use methods of antenna erection that you may not have thought of. They may have some expensive specialized towers and such, but they'll almost certainly also be using wire antennas hung from trees, etc. They may be doing voice, Morse Code, and digital modes across the RF spectrum, including satellites and perhaps even moonbounce.
    There is no better introduction to ham radio if you've ever considered it.
    They may even feed you!
    Look for your local club here and/or your local media. This listing depends on the local hams to keep it up, they may choose to put their efforts into their own websites etc. so don't just give up if you don't see anything local here.
    http://www.arrl.org/field-day

Quote Originally Posted by Idahoser View Post
    [crossposted]
    Talking of comms, I wanted to remind any interested Monkeys to find your local ham radio club and visit them at their Field Day setup this weekend.

On display and in use will be examples of many of the antennas and radios we've discussed here. If you get there while they're setting up, you can see them use methods of antenna erection that you may not have thought of. They may have some expensive specialized towers and such, but they'll almost certainly also be using wire antennas hung from trees, etc. They may be doing voice, Morse Code, and digital modes across the RF spectrum, including satellites and perhaps even moonbounce.
    There is no better introduction to ham radio if you've ever considered it.
    They may even feed you!
    Look for your local club here and/or your local media. This listing depends on the local hams to keep it up, they may choose to put their efforts into their own websites etc. so don't just give up if you don't see anything local here.
    http://www.arrl.org/field-day
    Good to see a fellow forum member who is also a fellow ham operator. I went through all the hoops to get my 'General' license a few years ago, but never got far into it. Mostly just listened in on local chatter on my handi talki.

I would like like to know the procedure for doing the change of address. I went to some websites but got lost in it, which wasn't hard for me.
    Psalms 13:6
    "I will sing unto the Lord,
    because he hath dealt bountifully with me".

this is the official site
    http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/index.htm?job=home
    to log in I believe you have to use your FRN, which you can find by searching for your call sign. You may have already had a login, I think there's a way there to recover it.
    From the point of view of many on forums like this, the idea of getting licensed is abhorrent; but seeing the stuff in use, watching them put up antennas, that is very helpful. I'm afraid too many preppers have the idea they'll just buy something and stash it for when the FCC no longer cares about licenses, but they're making a grave mistake thinking they'll be able to put that stuff to use with no experience. It's called a hobby for a reason, there's more to it than just opening a box.

Thanks for the info. I was able to find my FRN which let me get going. I couldn't remember my password, but was able to get them to do a reset and will hear back from them within 3 days. I did see my expiration date. Can't believe it's been 5 years since I tested.

I didn't really have a plan when I went for the tests. I found some sample questions on the web and went through the practice questions. Not too difficult for the Technician, General was a little more difficult, but made it through both on the first pass. Mostly wanted to be prepared for if/when it is the sanest option for communicating.

Just got busy and never put in much time using the radio after getting the license. It can be a little overwhelming if you don't have a mentor. I checked out a couple of clubs, but didn't feel at home in either.

yeah I've never really been active with it either, I find the gadgets and antennas interesting but really, "talking on the radio" holds little interest for me. I was on the local nets fairly regularly for a while, even called one of them as a fill in net control. Recently put a dual band radio and antenna in my truck. I still go to hamfests and browse online sometimes, I have the pieces to put up a station, just never get around to it. I'll throw a wire in a tree for a day or two, listen a bit, then lose interest when I have to take it down for something. I am slowly working on learning code, if I'm going to do anything in radio it'll be that and digital probably. I got a really nice radio from an estate sale, an Icom IC-746PRO and I have several portable HF antennas I put up to play with sometimes. My next project if I ever get to it is to lay out some good radials for some of these portables to hook to. Maybe get a nice 2m antenna mounted on the roof.
    I just know enough to be an idiot, I guess. I pushed and got the Extra class without really knowing anything because I thought I wanted to get emergency plates with my callsign. Figured I'd learn what I needed after the fact. Ended up deciding anonymity was better. Heck even my mom got Extra and she didn't even care. They all work the same way you did it, maybe a little cheat sheet you can memorize and then write out on your scratch paper so you're not bringing it in with you for things like Ohm's law and such.
    The questions are all available online, they can't trick you, the questions will be from those pools. It can be gamed. We're proof. I think they were foolish to remove the code requirements for all classes. I think the test for Extra should be, they airdrop you into a plane crash site, and you have to build a radio to call for help.

I took a look at the sample questions for the Extra license and said 'no way'. I came to the conclusion that the General license would be adequate for me. The ohm's law part was easy for me since I was already well versed in it. I can see where a person would need to spend some time there if starting from scratch.

I did did get a 2m antenna, but never got around to putting it up.

I remember looking at a Yaesu FT-857D and wanting one but didn't think I could see spending the $900 before I was sure I would be into radios enough to justify it.

I did get on EchoLink on the computer and talked with a person in New Zealand. I thought that was pretty interesting and that is probably the type of communicating that would hold my interest.

I thought I would like to learn code, but it's one of those things that you would have to use almost on a daily basis to stay sharp and I don't know that I would have the time to dedicate to it. But it does have its usefulness.

DH went to our local in MO today and had a great time. Met some good people and made some good connections. This stuff is right up his alley and he loved it.
    Old enough to remember

Obleo: Great! Once again I didn't follow my own advice.

PsalmSinger: Echolink was another thing I looked at early too. Had to get a call sign first, so went to get that before learning what you ought to first.
    The 857D and similar all band wonders (I got an Icom 706MkIIg) have everything in one tiny package but they cost $. I prefer suggesting people get started on one band as cheap and easy as possible, get a taste of what there is, and get some experience with the concept; now you're better prepared to make an informed choice on what to try next. An older radio ($200 Cubic Astro 102BXA for me) and a wire antenna for say 40m would be a great start. I don't like to think of line-of-sight bands in the same group. Yes it's "real radio" but so are cell phones. Almost a separate hobby.
    Save those expensive purchases for when you understand why it's worth that money.

Yeh, I just didn't want to wind up with a room full of radios. The president of one of the clubs has a 'radio room' full of radios and always has one or two he is 'willing' to 'let go'.

I finally heard back from FCC and got my password reset and was able to update my address info. Thanks again for steering me in that direction.