My "name" is Nicho and I'm a donut-holic! The problem is that I am unable to make the kind of donut that I crave. I've tried numbers of times with differing recipes but to no avail.

One of the problems, I believe, is the yeast I'm using. I have Aldi yeast and even though the dough rises, it doesn't have the deep smell of yeast and after baking/cooking, there is very little yeast aroma at all.

Is there a "good kind" of yeast to purchase...even on-line would be fine.

The other problem may be the flour. (After the yeast and flour, the other ingredients should be OK.) I have used both all-purpose flour and bread flour. Neither has been successful. I know there is pastry flour and there is cake flour but I haven't ventured there yet.

I've had Amish donuts that were out of this world, too. If I could make them, I would be totally thrilled. They smell and taste very loudly of yeast!
My ideal end product would be a Krispy Kreme glazed donut. OK, my aim may be high but this will give the description of the goal.

If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to try them.

In the same vein, I've been trying to make a good sub roll with the same disappointing results. Subway and Jersey Mike's have great rolls but I just can't even get close. Help there would also be appreciated!