Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: War for Southern Independence...Fallen State of the South

I finally got around to reading this....it was a busy weekend to say the least! Rain has passed us by...for now. Good work on the 2nd Miss.! I can see they were in the thick of things! I fooled around with finda-grave....highly usefull. I plan on using it to research my family history as far back as i can, both here and ''over there.'' Your post on Liberty was great...the headstones and the red clay.
    ''... I believe that the maintenance of the rights and authority reserved to the states and to the people...are a safeguard to the continuance of a free government...whereas the consolidation of the states into one vast Republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded it.''- Gen. Robert E. Lee

What, you weren't sitting on the edge of your seat in anticipation????? LOL

A couple of things I have found out:

find a grave is very useful, but be careful. Using it I have found out my 4X great grandmother is buried in two places. Odd right, to say the least. I think she is buried next to her husband, even though the birth and death dates are the same.

The other is surname cross overs. My 3X great grand father and another guy have the same names but different dates, and reading on some discussion boards some people thought my grandfather was also their's who had moved from here to another state, which was not the case. The birth and death dates were close, with in a couple of years and the names the same, but were obviously not the same person. My 3X great is buried at Liberty not in another state.

Found out my 5X great grandfather born in 1795, in TN died in 1870 was supposed to have been buried in the next county over but have been unable to find his grave. Through find a grave. It may just be a family plot, or an error in find a grave. They did have family grave sites back then.

Happened on a head stone on a bluff over looking what use to be a fairy boat landing, on our hunting club while hunting squirrels. Was told the owner of the boat's wife died and was buried up there, which I bet will never show up on find a grave. Came back the next year and put the headstone up, 1798.

Also found my 6X great grandfather. Only a name, and birth location. NC.

I'm thinking that once you go back that far, mid 1700's, unless they were famous, most records or graves are slim. Will need to use other records. Census, marriage etc.

And I'm also thinking that then you'll need to start paying for it, because there are a lot of records to go through. Needle in a hay stack sort of thing.

If there are more rainy days in the offing, I might try my hand at it, just to see what I can find, if anything.

Hope you have good success, and if you find anything would love to hear it. Also if you find some other means that are useful please let me know.

Best wishes.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Tnx for the info. And when i do find something I'll let you know.
    ''... I believe that the maintenance of the rights and authority reserved to the states and to the people...are a safeguard to the continuance of a free government...whereas the consolidation of the states into one vast Republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded it.''- Gen. Robert E. Lee

Sure.

You also might try familysearch.org which is put up by the Church of Latter Day Saints and is free. However, all most everything will eventually lead you back to ancestry.com
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Roger that. I might as well try and get all that I can on my family's History before it's deemed ''offensive'' and some one gets there feelings hurt, and it is consigned to the ''ash heap of history''....I know sarcasm here...maybe. Although I understand that in Philly they want the statue of Rizzo ''removed'' because he wasn't to kind to they ''natives''.