Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: War for Southern Independence...Fallen State of the South

Default War for Southern Independence...Fallen State of the South

https://www.abbevilleinstitute.org/r...-of-the-south/

From the review, May 2016....it is rather long, but worth it.
    ''... I believe that the maintenance of the rights and authority reserved to the states and to the people...are a safeguard to the continuance of a free government...whereas the consolidation of the states into one vast Republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded it.''- Gen. Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Huk
    .it is rather long, but worth it.
    .....And absolutely true.

This weekend was Memorial Day, at both of the cemeteries where my family is buried.

In a simple quick overview of the dates, I learned a couple of things.

Mine and Sherree's Wedding Anniversary is the same as my grandfather and mother. Didn't have a clue and no one said. Secondly, found out my grand father was born in 1879, so he had children rather late in life. My dad, the oldest, was born in 07.

The oldest with my surname was born in 1836. Then the dates get to close to be fathers or to far away. For example one is dated 1844, who would of been eligible for the Civil War, and then there is a skip in births until the 1870's.

So am going to go back and see if I missed some, surely I did. It just struck me as odd.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

I enjoy your historical posts.
    ''... I believe that the maintenance of the rights and authority reserved to the states and to the people...are a safeguard to the continuance of a free government...whereas the consolidation of the states into one vast Republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded it.''- Gen. Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Huk View Post
    I enjoy your historical posts.
    Thanks and I yours.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

The late Mr. Cawthon was prophetic in what he wrote. Alas, much of what he said is coming to pass....

I agree, Captain. Such as this....

So many doubts have been drilled into Southern minds, particularly among the young, of the merit of the Southern Cause, that general interest in the Sesquicentennial has been weak. The expounding of the Northern viewpoint has been so thorough, so widespread and so deep throughout the schools and colleges and through all the main American institutions, that very many of the South’s leaders and increasingly average citizens are either compromised in their beliefs, or have largely incorporated the Northern version of American history.

When a people lose their sense of the moral legitimacy of their history and their people and culture, that people is on the road to extinction. The South as a distinct culture and people is in the process of disintegration and ultimate extinction.
    It's sad, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherree View Post
    I agree, Captain. Such as this....

It's sad, really.

Not much consolation but the north never had any ....

O.W.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wile
    Not much consolation but the north never had any ....
    True, Oscar. Still, for someone who has had roots here in the South all the way back to when the territories became states, it's sad to watch a people and culture disappear. It's happening slowly, but surely. All being helped along by progressives who have never had a special people or culture of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherree View Post
    Still, for someone who has had roots here in the South all the way back to when the territories became states, it's sad to watch a people and culture disappear.
    If we were discussing this two or three decades ago I would offer that "we" transform some of our sadness to outrage and make the necessary corrections. We aren't, we didn't and so here we are ....

It's too late to make the corrections but we know what's coming. Mourn as is necessary and then allow the sadness to morph to anger.

Anger, in moderation, will drive you to do the things that need done and in the near future there'll be lots that need be done.

The important thing to remember is that this is all temporary but also Father is the only One worthy of inflicting suffering upon us ... others we are obligated to negate.

O.W.