Thread: When The Grid Goes Down: 15 Tips to Get Home Safely Following an EMP Attack

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post When The Grid Goes Down: 15 Tips to Get Home Safely Following an EMP Attack

When The Grid Goes Down: 15 Tips to Get Home Safely Following an EMP Attack

Have a plan already in place: That means to formulate one right now, if you haven’t already done so.
    John 14:6 New Living Translation (NLT)

6 Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.

"1. Have a plan already in place: That means to formulate one right now, f you haven’t already done so."

".... having just dropped the kids off twenty minutes ago to the swim club."

*poof* ... there went your plan.

O.W.

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

I have a few issues with this list:

1. The one thing I always take in the car if I am more than an hour's walk from home, besides my BOB, is a good pair of walking shoes or boots. If you're going to have to walk, then prepare to walk.
    2. A day's worth of water” is probably at least a gallon. No way I'm going to pack a gallon of water in my BOB. I put in one bottled water (16-20 oz.) and something to purify additional water.
    3. How do you “close the windows and lock the doors” on a car that has no electronics functioning? Not gonna work. Leave the car. Period.
    4. I take issue with “not walking on the roads.” The first day, most people are going to be confused and anxious, but not aggressive. Hoof it as far and as fast as you can make it that first day. If it takes more than one day to get home, or if you have to go through a bad neighborhood, then – yeah – be more careful. But that first day is probably going to be a free gift to the prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by grower View Post
    I have a few issues with this list:

1. The one thing I always take in the car if I am more than an hour's walk from home, besides my BOB, is a good pair of walking shoes or boots. If you're going to have to walk, then prepare to walk.
    2. A day's worth of water” is probably at least a gallon. No way I'm going to pack a gallon of water in my BOB. I put in one bottled water (16-20 oz.) and something to purify additional water.
    3. How do you “close the windows and lock the doors” on a car that has no electronics functioning? Not gonna work. Leave the car. Period.
    4. I take issue with “not walking on the roads.” The first day, most people are going to be confused and anxious, but not aggressive. Hoof it as far and as fast as you can make it that first day. If it takes more than one day to get home, or if you have to go through a bad neighborhood, then – yeah – be more careful. But that first day is probably going to be a free gift to the prepared.
    I'm with ya grower.

Keep a pair of shoes in the car, just for that reason. All around waterproof hiking boots would be best, but mine are close.

Keep two military canteens on a web/tactical belt, and two life straws in the BOB.

I will not be worried about no non-functioning car. Get what I can, and leave it. I'm not humping it back for the gas either.

And you are right on the road business too. First day, will be a time to cover distance, best way is to stay on the road for easier walking. Maybe even the second day, with caution. Then as days go on more caution, less road. Walking 150 ft. off the road drags you down to a crawl. Lots of caution, less distance covered.

For a rough "distance in a day" consider about 20 miles in 12 hours, good conditions, good health, no long stoppage, just breaks, as a rough estimate. I use to work about 17 miles from home. Thought I could cover that in 1 day (12 hours). My grandpa did with a horse and wagon (12 hours). Prepped my BOB for 3 days. Not a lot of food, mostly energy bars, and bullion cubes, just to have something hot to drink/eat over night/morning. Also knew of several ways to the house in case of trouble, bridges down, or choke points etc. including creeks, and RR's.

And in winter I also threw a big heavy coat in the back, and insulated gloves. Most people wear light coats running from a heated car, across the parking lot, to a heated building.

And if it's going to take more than 3 days (72 hours) to get home, better consider a bigger BOB, or caches. Some serious mapping for water, and routes. That's roughly 60 miles, and if you aren't use to walking long distances, AND making camp, you'll cover less distance each day. Exposure can kill you in one day, forget the marauding bands.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

The grid is not going down.

If that was a remote possibility, "they" would never have mentioned it.

No.....prepare instead for ENHANCED technology....ENHANCED convenience.......ENHANCED tracking capabilities.....ENHANCED means by which to (finally, maybe ?) drive the "Bible-believing Christian" out of Babylon and into (what the Beast hopes will be) abject economic desperation.

Got faith ?

C'mon Sam, play along will ya?

You're out on the tractor ... no not the diesel, the newer one, the gas one.

You've been in town discussing the "what ifs" of a widespread grid down effect on the community. You're on your way back home, ya feel your hair tingling on the backa your neck then suddenly it jerks to a stop with one final after-fire in the pipe, take it from here ....

O.W.