Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not one ripe tomato yet

Default Not one ripe tomato yet

It's August 11 and I haven't had one ripe tomato from the garden.

I've had a few cherry tomatoes but no slicers or paste.

I have green tomatoes galore and a couple that are trying to turn.

I'm guessing that it's due to the cool summer.
    Quite a few days below 80.

Anyone else from the northern parts of the country experiencing this?
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

Same here. Some are turning in the greenhouse. All our ripe tomatoes we are selling through the co-op are greenhouse maters. Everything else is pretty much hanging green on the plants. But no big blight problems being reported.
    But what weapons can you use to dispossess someone who will not accept anything except Holy Scripture interpreted according to his own rules?...Where Lutheranism reigns, learning dies. They seek only two things: good pay and a wife. The gospel offers them the rest — that is, the power of living as they please.

I understand now how Arius and Tertullian and Wickliff were driven into schism by malicious clergy and wicked monks.

(Erasmus regarding Luther and the church, 1527, 1529)

Finally a real apocalypse.

(I sympathize, but I can't grow tomatoes outdoors here even in the warmest years.)

Finally a real apocalypse.
    Of biblical proportions!!!!!!

[QUOTE][Some are turning in the greenhouse/QUOTE]

My greenhouse tomatoes are only slightly ahead of my garden ones but it's well vented so it doesn't get too hot
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

Bill Bonner

Maybe it won't be too much longer, Davy, before you're enjoying those tomato sandwiches.

This is the first time in 3 years that we had success with our tomatoes down here. I guess conditions have to be just right. Started harvesting in late June, and are still getting small ones from the garden. I'm thankful for what we've got this year. My tomato stocks were running very low.

I hope yours eventually do well.

What I'm concerned is that the days are starting to get shorter and they may never ripen

Julius Caesar

Bill Bonner

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett
    What I'm concerned is that the days are starting to get shorter and they may never ripen
    I hate to hear that. We don't have that problem here. Just goes to show how differently things can go depending on where one lives. Usually, we have to cover our plants with shade cloth to keep them from burning.

Maybe lots of fried green tomatoes and green tomato relish

Julius Caesar

Bill Bonner

This year, first time ever...not one strawberry in my patch. Not a bloom on any of the plants! Never had this happen before...weird.
    Old enough to remember

Our's aren't ripe yet but we did start late. Cuccumbers are looking ok. Kale (?) looks good. I'm not much on kale but my gal planted it so...
    When thing's look bad,pray,when things are good pray!

"Those willing to give up they're Liberty for security,deserve neither!"-Benjamin Franklin

Carpe' Diem

My life is not what someone else makes of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntGRosZ6VzU