Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark my words

Default Mark my words

Hey,

Mark my words.......if for no other reason than to tell me I was wrong.....it's going to be a cold, wet, snowy winter. At least for those of us in Mississippi.

There is an old wives tale that goes like this: The number of fogs you have in August will be the number of snow falls you have in winter.

For the past 40, or so, years that I have kept track of it, that has proven to be real close to true.

Last year starting mid July and going to the end of October we had little measureable rain. Our area was colored on maps as being in extreme drought area. And it stayed very warm during that time. Had one of the lightest winters that I can remember. Only used 1 cord of wood.

To have fog, you need rain. Not having any rain in August, a normal hot dry month, meant no fogs in August. And we had none last year. Very, very mild winter last year.

The climate, or rather weather pattern, has changed this year.

We have had rain, thus fog, almost everyday this month of August. So, if the pattern of the Old Wives Tales continues to be true, it is going to be a doozy of a winter. Got 5 cords of wood put up. Hope that will be enough. LOL

It has only been in the mid 80's most of the month. When August is usually the month we hit the hundreds.

Today 76 degrees, humidity 95, Dew point 73, and rain. Expect fog in the morning.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Well, I've given you 4 months to mark them. LOL

Been thinking I was going to have to eat them. A couple of days ago the high was 70. Got the annual Whitetail rut all throwed off. Sat AM when I met my son at the bridge for sausage, biscuits, and coffee, at 5:30 the temp was 70, and a little rain. Where we each was going to be setting up and what not. By 7:30 the rain had stopped and the temp was 43. We both figured when that front came through the deer would move. And they did. Came out in sort of an unexpected place (don't they always). It was a 320 yard shot, one which I hadn't practiced for. Guessed the bullet drop would be about 8-10 inches and took the shot. Missed. Had a following wind so didn't think had much effect. Got home and looked it up, Bullet drop at 300 yards is 14 inches. It was exciting to see them, and met my doctors requirement of getting my heart rate up to 120.

The temps now are in the upper 30's low 40's in the day time, and low to mid 20's at night. The rut is on. I saw a buck yesterday, and he obviously saw me, because he was gone so fast, I couldn't even get my scope on him. And another good hunter, got an 8 point yesterday.

High's this weekend, early next week are expected to be in 20's and low's in the single digits to teens. Have ordered some of those new fangled extra heavy weight long handles. LOL

Anyway this thread is about snow, and next to that sleet, and freezing rain. I know that's pushing the boundaries, but all that counts as stuff that falls from the sky.

A couple of weeks ago, and in the same place where stuff is hitting the ground today. One place got 7 inches, and today they are getting freezing rain. That's 2, only about 28 more to go LOL.

It's slightly south of us, BUT it's in the viewing area. So it counts. LOL

Been seeing where y'all north of us, wayyyyy north of us, are getting a lot of snow. Take care. Be careful with the shoveling.

It's rare for us to get a White Christmas, very, but come Jan, and mostly Feb. it can get really bad, normally, and this year it's supposed to be abby normal.

Feb. is normally a weird month anyway. One week it will be freezing rain, breaking down power lines, and tree's everywhere, the next, women are outside sunbathing, and running from tornadoes, when the next cold front is coming.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    Feb. is normally a weird month anyway. .... women are outside sunbathing, and running from tornadoes,
    Some folk might pay good money to see this, with the proper gust of wind and ... February you say?

O.W.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
    Some folk might pay good money to see this, with the proper gust of wind and ... February you say?

O.W.
    You may have just taken the thread offen the rails there a bit OW LOL. Every time I think of something on how to explain Feb. I can see something coming back the other way.

Feb. is just a bad month, and leave it at that. LOL
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

LOL. Some years, we get ice storms and tornadoes in the same month, Oscar.

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    Feb. is just a bad month, and leave it at that. LOL
    Mehbe .... "women are outside sunbathing, and running from tornadoes" ... mehbe not.

But I agree with you Cary, peculiarity abounds.

O.W.

Woman sunbathing?? did I miss something here?
    "On hire from Swiss or Sweden, be me Christain, be me heathen,The Devil to the sabre I shall put"

Quote Originally Posted by Plainsman
    Not yet. It's not February. Just making a point that our February's can be extreme both ways. On the one hand, it is so warm that women can start their sunbathing rituals, and on the other, we can snuggle by the fire as we're suffering through a major ice storm. Sorry, no photos.....

Always a day late and a dollar short I am.
    "On hire from Swiss or Sweden, be me Christain, be me heathen,The Devil to the sabre I shall put"

Quote Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post

With lottsa goose bumps ....

O.W.