Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark my words

Update:
    The wind’s been really howling since 5:30am at -17. Snow devels all over the place. I’ve cleared the driveway twice with my snow thrower but the wind keeps blowing it back.

The blowing snow looks like smoke. So far the power’s been good.

Tomorrow's walk to services should prove to be interesting at -20 to -25.

The second time I cleared the driveway when I came back in I couldn't feel my big toe on my left foot. Took a while and wow did it hurt when it started to thaw. Ever find a pack of bologna in the back of your fridge you forgot about? Yeah, it was like that = grey meat. Ran my feet under some warm water.

It's a drag because it's the first time I wore these winter boots. They WERE going to be my new ice fishing boots but now I have to come up with another plan.
    Remember the Prepper's Motto: "Panic early and avoid the rush!"
    Everything I post is Fiction and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.
    88 = Heil Hitler

It's good to know that you and Mrs. Bear are doing ok! Be careful and be safe! Prayers going out for you. Hugs to Mrs. Bear!

Quote Originally Posted by BugoutBear View Post
    Update:
    The wind’s been really howling since 5:30am at -17. Snow devels all over the place. I’ve cleared the driveway twice with my snow thrower but the wind keeps blowing it back.

The blowing snow looks like smoke. So far the power’s been good.

Tomorrow's walk to services should prove to be interesting at -20 to -25.

The second time I cleared the driveway when I came back in I couldn't feel my big toe on my left foot. Took a while and wow did it hurt when it started to thaw. Ever find a pack of bologna in the back of your fridge you forgot about? Yeah, it was like that = grey meat. Ran my feet under some warm water.

It's a drag because it's the first time I wore these winter boots. They WERE going to be my new ice fishing boots but now I have to come up with another plan.
    FYI plan B: Toe Warmers.

Tried out some new Merino Wool socks this AM (1 without them, just to see, and looks like the circulation isn't as good in my left foot as my right, it got cold. So, back to toe warmers. It was a single layer, so got that too, another pair. And they were inside insulated boots. Son still used his, said feet was fine.

I keep hand warmers in my gloves, and that works good.

Get old and on blood thinners, the extremities get cold.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Right now, we're at +6 heading to -7 (or below) tonight.
    Then it starts to moderate
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett
    Right now, we're at +6 heading to -7 (or below) tonight.
    Then it starts to moderate
    We're finally experiencing a big thaw down here, Davy. It made it all the way up to 41 today after being in a deep freeze for the past two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    FYI plan B: Toe Warmers.

Tried out some new Merino Wool socks this AM (1 without them, just to see, and looks like the circulation isn't as good in my left foot as my right, it got cold. So, back to toe warmers. It was a single layer, so got that too, another pair. And they were inside insulated boots. Son still used his, said feet was fine.

I keep hand warmers in my gloves, and that works good.

Get old and on blood thinners, the extremities get cold.
    Interesting you should mention blood thinners. Derp! Dr. put me on them after my hear attack in 2015. Funny how it never even dawned on me.

I use to use toe warmers when I hunted on the Maryland/W. Virginia border. I really do need to get some. And fog resistant goggles would help.

We made it to services and back with no real problems to speak of but the walk back was particullarly difficult for me & my old back.

The third drift in the driveway's up to my knees. Tomorrow (-20) I'll be out there trying to throw it someplace other than upwind.

ETA: Next week it's up to the 50's. I'm going to try and get on a cod boat on Wednesday. It's that time of year!
    88 = Heil Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by BugoutBear View Post
    Interesting you should mention blood thinners. Derp! Dr. put me on them after my hear attack in 2015. Funny how it never even dawned on me.

I use to use toe warmers when I hunted on the Maryland/W. Virginia border. I really do need to get some. And fog resistant goggles would help.

We made it to services and back with no real problems to speak of but the walk back was particullarly difficult for me & my old back.

The third drift in the driveway's up to my knees. Tomorrow (-20) I'll be out there trying to throw it someplace other than upwind.

ETA: Next week it's up to the 50's. I'm going to try and get on a cod boat on Wednesday. It's that time of year!
    Looks like we may be expecting some thunderstorms Monday. Imagine and it ain't even Feb. Highs like Thursday 70. 'Course that could change somewhat. But this AM, "it's red sky in morning sailor take warning" and it's really red, red too.

Glad the Sat. morning stroll went OK. LOL Here's hoping it wasn't far.

Some thoughts: When I was young, much younger than I am today (that ought to be lyrics in a song) I took some scuba lessons. They told us to either spit in our face masks, or before coming, cut a potato open, and smear the cut end around the inside, to keep it from fogging up. Just saying.

When I was heading back to the club house around 10:00, yesterday with a very cold left foot, another member got behind me pulling a boat. When I got there I asked the guys where was Danny going, pulling a boat? Did he have one down across the river. We have about 60 acres across the river, and can only be reached by boat, and sometimes guys will sit on our side and shoot across the river, and then come and get a boat to haul it out.

But they said naw, he was going fishing. The river was only slicked over, but thought his boat motor could break it up some. While talking to the guys about that, found out the year the Tombigbee River froze over. It was 1940, and it stayed froze over for 3 weeks. That was the year my dad and uncle like to have starved to death living on the club. And might of been the reason my dad joined the Army in Jan 1941. 12 months before Pearl Harbor.

Anyway, what are you going to do on a cod boat?

I mean be a part of the crew, or fish off one, like salt water fishing?

AND how in the world are you going to stay warm on one. E gads man I'm going to have to go stand by the fire now. I'd probably have body warmers stuck all over me.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Cary, it just dawned on me ... the "sun bathing in February". The past two years didn't provide much of a winter in our region, warm Christmas and 60s-70s in ... Feb / Mar.

Making up for it now ....

O.W.

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    ...what are you going to do on a cod boat?
    Catch cod hopefully (haddock and pollock too). It's a party boat out of Pt. Judith. It's going to be in the 50's Wednesday. Perfect weather for fishing this time of year = cold water and warm sun.

Yesterday finally caught up with me.

The walk home yesterday took more out of me than I thought. Woke up this morning with my lower back and legs bothering me.

The 22” drift in the driveway was packed harder than I anticipated and I had to really struggle with the snow thrower to clear it and the 6’ wide, 24” deep plow bank in front of the mailbox (mail won’t be delivered without clear access to the box).

By the time I was finished I was sweating profusely, felt dizzy and nauseous. Almost called an ambulance. My Cardiologist would be very upset with me if he saw what I was doing this morning.

I need to be more careful. Pushed too hard today.
    88 = Heil Hitler

A "party boat"? Will you be able to see how to fish? Or even put the worm on the hook? LOL

Just poking at you. I assume, it references multiple people on the same craft, as opposed to a single renter.

Once Deer season is over (end of Jan.) folks will be itching to go Crappie fishing. Josh is looking to hook up with Danny, the guy I mentioned earlier, to get some lessons in on that.

Sorry you feel so bad, but am glad I ain't reading about you in the paper.

I think one of the main things about getting older, is the recovery time gets longer. And since it is after the actual work part, we tend to forget. I use to bounce right up after a fall. Now, I lay there for a bit to see if anything is broke, then figure out what I need to do to get up, and can I do it by myself. Once I figure out nothing is broke and I can get up, it's forcing my limbs to work, I guess they figure I died and they can stop working. After about 20 minutes, I'm up and tell my wife not to touch me. She will want to know, "Well, where ain't it sore?" I'll have to point to my eyelid.

I don't know if you have to do it, BUT MY DOCTOR, wants me to exercise about twice a week to get my heart rate up to 120 bpm. Said walking about 15 minutes should do it. It didn't. Now I'm running a couple of times a week to get that. Not far mind you, just enough to stress my heart some. Talking about a couple of hundred yards. Which I haven't been doing over the winter. What I have been doing is walking them hills out of the river bottom, huffing and puffing. Figure my doctor should be satisfied with that. He also said being active isn't good enough, which I am very much so, cutting wood, planting and harvesting a garden, playing soccer with my dog (I win most of the time) etc.

So are you exercising? If not, you should give some serious thought to it. It will help your heart in the long run, and give you some energy during spells like shoveling snow from around your mailbox. AND the most important thing of all, bragging rights. Showing them punk eyed kids on the block, what a real man does. LOL Might lose some weight too, if you need it.

Also don't over do it, that would be even worse. I guess when the Bible says moderation in all things, it knows what it's talking about.

So for right now, get around the fire, kick your feet up, get some good hot chocolate (who cares what the doctor says) and just stare at the fire, and contemplate, most relaxing thing ever. Better than a hot tub.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him