Thread: Joan Baez - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

Default Joan Baez - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

Joan Baez - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

Europe used to have empires. They were run by emperors.
    Then we had kingdoms. They were run by kings.
    Now we have countries...

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Thank you for posting that Merovingian.
    It is NOT about race. They are destroying our heritage and our history.
    Isn't that considered cultural genocide?

I have lived in the South all my life. I was born in Atlanta. My father was a carpenter and my mother a housewife. Dad served in WWII, and both my brothers served during the Vietnam War. I am not prejudiced. I have a son-in-law that was born in Africa that is blacker than any of these sorry low-lifes in the American black community that are tearing down the monuments. My son-in-law is a wonderful man, and I thank God for giving my daughter a good, godly husband.

The worthless blacks and their liberal flunkies are destroying my culture, and the culture of my parents and grandparents. It breaks my heart.

That brought a tear to this old jaundiced eye. I was born in North Carolina. Though I've lived most of my life in the industrial North, I always considered myself a country boy.
    I worry that what these ignorant self indulgent fools are starting they can in no way control. I worry for the country I love and serve.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell

Police dog 1, bad guy nothin':

I was born in NC Myself. Hickory, to be precise.
    Coming back to the south, to our KY homestead was truly a blessing.
    And you're right. Joan's rendition of that tune is truly amazing.

But to add to the thread... This is from a concert I actually attended- Long ago, and far away.

Look out mamma there's a white boat coming up the river..

A warrior lives by acting, not by thinking about acting, nor by thinking about what he will think when he has finished acting.

And one more , related..
    A warrior lives by acting, not by thinking about acting, nor by thinking about what he will think when he has finished acting.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories, Former USA

The original version sung by Levon Helm of The Band was last performed by him in 1976 at the concert that two years later became known only as "The Last Waltz." While written by Canadian Robbie Robertson, also of The Band, it was Levon Helm's Arkansas born-and-bred heritage that afforded Robertson the historical perspective underpinning the authenticity of 1865-era poor Southerners' psyche that can be heard and felt in both the music and lyrics, perspective and authenticity which Helm thought lacking in (also Canadian-born) Joni Mitchell's cover of the song. With that in mind, here's Helm's last-ever performance of the song from The Last Waltz concert:

RIP Levon.

Blues

Thanks, merovingian! I was born in Tupelo, Mississippi! My family, on both sides, settled in these parts before the Civil War was ever a thought in someone's mind. Unless God has other plans, I will die here, being proud of my heritage and my culture.

I am not a racist. I do not support any of the White Supremacy groups, and to my knowledge, no one in my family has ever been a member of the KKK. I just want to be left alone, and I want my heritage and culture left alone. Today though, because that is what I want, I'm labeled, and have become a target for abuse.