Thread: Something from "nothing"... why we can thrive on almost zero income

Default Something from "nothing"... why we can thrive on almost zero income

Folks... wasn't sure which forum to put this in... kitchen or this one. Anyway...

We raise pastured meat chickens for sale (and our own use, of course). I cut them up and freeze the pieces individually, before packing them into heavy freezer bags. That way, I can use far fewer bags, and people can take out as many or as few pieces as they need for any particular meal. This includes boning out the breasts.

We did 50 birds Wednesday. When I finally got done with the deboning of the breasts (and pulling the tendons from the fillets), I had two 24 quart kettles full of bones, skins and small bits of waste meat. The buyers of this particular batch wanted the necks and backs to make broth with (you'd be amazed at how many people don't... doesn't matter they paid good money for the whole bird... nope, they don't have a clue what to do with them, so they let us keep them!)

Because I cut pretty close when deboning the breasts, what's left doesn't look like much more than bare bone.

Ha!

I cooked them down overnight, and by morning, all the bones were able to be broken into mush by hand. This is the advantage of really young birds (these were 7 weeks and dressed out on average 5.7 pounds each)... older birds have much tougher bone and you've got to be a lot more careful.

Today, I packed all the solids into jars... bones and all. Added enough broth to cover, and the jars are now in my canners being processed.

End results were 30 pints of high quality dog food, plus another 14 quarts of chicken broth for our own cooking needs.

Almost everyone I know would have tossed those "empty" bones into the compost.

The next two batches (50 and 35 birds) will also include the necks and backs, which should double (or more) the final tally. A cupful of this stuff is easily equal to 2 cups of even a good quality dog food... If I add 2 cups of cooked rice to a pint of this stuff, it will feed all four working dogs for a day.

Yes, it takes time. And if you're making $50 an hour at your day job, it probably isn't worth it... although I don't know how you compare pure organic canned chicken to any commercially available dog food. But if you're going to be home anyway, it's a heck of a lot more profitable than watching TV!

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    End results were 30 pints of high quality dog food,
    Summerthyme
    Dog food? There gonna be a fight. Add some carrot, slather over biscuit, voila ... breafasst.

Now, cooking ... how much water, for how long? Details woman, details.

O.W.

LOL! I can up plenty of the good stuff for us...

I pressure can this for 75 minutes for pints, 60 minutes for half pints, at 11# pressure (we're at @1700 feet elevation)

The nice thing about this is it avoids all the tedious "picking" out all the small bones... you just pack them all in the jars with the meat, etc. By the time it's pressure canned, the bones are literally mush... no danger of splinters, et. And a great source of calcium and phosphorus for the pets.

Summerthyme

I appreciate all frugal tips!

I've had to toss out some food until I got my rotation and storage techniques down, but zero waste is always the goal. I'm guilty of occasionally tossing whole chicken carcasses. Most of the time, I cut those down to fit in a Rubbermaid container and freeze them until I have enough to boil for broth, and then I pour the fresh bone broth into pint containers and freeze them for use in soups.

My back has gotten a lot worse, so canning is not the best activity for me. I've been relying on dehydrating and freezing.

Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
    I appreciate all frugal tips!

.... My back has gotten a lot worse,
    Well here's one for ya:http://growyouthful.com/remedy/borax...www.google.com

https://www.earthclinic.com/remedies/borax.html

Okay, two.

I rode a small airplane into the ground 'bout twenty year ago. Had a little difficulty standing and walking away but I was determined, once well clear I laid down and dozed till rescue rudely awakened me.

Since then ... well I'm digressin. Sorry SummerThyme.

Borax, it's good for what ails ya and somehow, someway, it's gotta be good for chickens too ....

O.W.