Thread: 1Timothy 4:10 and a Volkswagen Golf

Default 1Timothy 4:10 and a Volkswagen Golf

1Timothy 4:10 and a Volkswagen Golf

by Wim Janse

"for this we are toiling and being reproached, that we rely on the living God, Who is the Saviour of all mankind, especially of believers"
    (1Tim. 4:10;CLNT).

What a strange title, you say? That is true, but I would like to ask you to stay with me and read until the end of the page.

There are quite a lot of problems with understanding 1Tim. 4:10. Many see in the part behind the last comma a denial of what is before the comma. But that is not the case! Let's take an example:

All Volkswagen Golfs are fast cars, especially the Golf GTI!"

Does this now say that, because the GTI types are faster than the basic type, the basic Golfs cannot go fast? No, it doesn't say that. It says that the basic Golfs are already fast cars and that those GTI's are even faster! The one does not exclude the other!

Let's now look at 1Tim. 4:10.

"for this we are toiling and being reproached, that we rely on the living God, Who is the Saviour of all mankind, especially of believers"
    (CLNT).

Here we see the position of the believers, who have something extra, just like the VW Golf GTI has something extra over the basic Golf. The fact that God gives more, or a special salvation to believers, does not exclude unbelievers from salvation!

But there is a difference, that is clear!

What is that difference?

When Jesus was on the cross, He called out, "It is accomplished!" and then He died.

The moment he called out those words, the entire world(that is: everyone who had lived, then lived and will ever live) became conciliated with God(2Cor. 5:19). The problem between God and mankind was solved, the bridge lowered, the gap closed; enemies had become friends. Through this sacrifice, God will, at the end of the eons, become "All in all" who have ever lived(1Cor. 15:2. There is no need for anything else or anything more, not even "making a choice" or "accepting". It is a done deal!

But what about "faith" and "believers"?

Faith is a subject that has to do with life during the eons, not with what comes after that. Faith is the passport for life in the coming eons! Our faith is not a precondition in order to belong to those who will take part in "God, All in all".

Can I create this faith on my own?

No, faith is God's gift of grace(Eph. 2: and He gives it to whom He wills to give it(Rom. 9:15,16) and at the moment He thinks is right. He does not call everyone for life during the coming eons, but only those He had elected even before the disruption of the world (Eph.1:4).

Why don't all people believe now? Because, though life during the coming eons will be great, it is not God's goal. The goal is, "God, All in all" and that is where the eons lead us to. The eons are a means, not an end.

Summary:

all people are saved for never ending life after the consummation of the eons, through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross of Calvary. The believers have an extra portion already, because they, thanks to their God-given faith, may take part in the working out of God's plan of the eons during the eons.

The error that is being made by those I mentioned in the beginning of this article is that they want to concentrate everything inside the eons. But after the eons comes something that is called "God, All in all", a whole new existence, só different and só much more beautiful, that it will not be possible to have it during the eons. Our present human languages do not have words to describe it, therefore we cannot read about it in the Scriptures.

That one sentence, in 1Tim. 4:10, expresses great truths and wonderful blessings for all of mankind. My wish is that all will get to know it, very soon!

© Wim Janse

1 Cor. 15:28 "And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all."

That right there is a pretty amazing future!

All things are/were made by Him, All things are of God.

May His will be done in earth as it is in heaven and may His Kingdom come!

You should have read on to 2 Timothy because it has a couple of verses which apply to you:

2Tim 4:3 For the time will come when they will not listen to the sound doctrine, but, having itching ears, will heap up for themselves teachers after their own lusts;
    2Tim 4:4 and will turn away their ears from the truth, and turn aside to myths.
    And here is the truth that you have turned your ears away from:

John 3:3 Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
    John 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.
    John 3:19 And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil.

Sorry forty9er, wrong again. I believe those scriptures that you quoted. Nor have i turned away my ears from them. Whatever gave you that idea?