Thread: A trip...

Default A trip...

This past Thursday a friend of mine and I took a trip to an Historic Village here in Western Pa., I wont give you the name of the place which will become obvious as you read through. The village represents daily life from the 18th through the 19th century with many restored or moved structures, my main goal was to see the 1870's blacksmith shop, which would have been typical of the shops of W.Pa and Virginia of that time. It was well outfitted and resembeled my shop in Va....sigh! The good old days! But it turns out it was the school house which was the surprise or rather the school ''Marm''. She was a teacher for almost 30 yrs. and she decried the state of education of the country were children of the 1870's were far in advance of what students today would be. When she found out I was from the Old Dominion....that's Virginia to you people in Rio Linda she went off on how the destruction of Confederate Monuments and the erasing of Southern History was a crime! She put this down to ''Puritanical Yankee History'', be still my heart! A copper head in Yankee land! Her comments on Ole Honest Abe are not re-printable, although hilarious. And to top it off she also reads the Abbeville Blog for her daily dose of Dixie. Now you can see why I can not give the name of this fine place...if she were found out she would be canned! Yankee's can be a vindictive bunch.
    ''... I believe that the maintenance of the rights and authority reserved to the states and to the people...are a safeguard to the continuance of a free government...whereas the consolidation of the states into one vast Republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded it.''- Gen. Robert E. Lee

and she decried the state of education of the country were children of the 1870's were far in advance of what students today would be.
    Not much going on today, so am trolling.....strolling....looking around for stuff. Heard the following........

The first 2 universities in the US were Harvard and Yale. Believe it, or not, back then there was no ACT, or SAT tests to see if you qualified for the school.

But there were entrance qualifications. They were the same for both. The Freshman student had to be fluent in 3 languages: 1) Latin 2) Greek and 3) I think it was, Hebrew. The purpose was so the Freshman student could read the Bible in it's original language, plus the Latin Vulgate.

As a Freshman student at Harvard, no matter the degree sought, the student had to read the original Greek New Testament manuscripts and translate them into English. The student didn't have to do that at Yale, but rather attend Chapel 3 times a day to pray.

Take your pick.

Here is the question to ask: What was the AVERAGE age of the Freshman Student? Answer: 13 (remember that is the AVERAGE age)

Compare to today.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Sounds like Harmony, Pa?
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

The education industry exists not to educate but to condition.

Now that there are no longer life's crafts to master there is no need to teach or to learn. (Not my philosophy.)

O.W.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
    The education industry exists not to educate but to condition.

Now that there are no longer life's crafts to master there is no need to teach or to learn. (Not my philosophy.)

O.W.
    Sounds pretty damned dangerous to the survival of a species.....

Davy it's close. She does have guts.
    ''... I believe that the maintenance of the rights and authority reserved to the states and to the people...are a safeguard to the continuance of a free government...whereas the consolidation of the states into one vast Republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded it.''- Gen. Robert E. Lee

Good for her
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Adams View Post
    Sounds pretty damned dangerous to the survival of a species.....
    And what legacy has been left to us and us to them (the younguns) is being eradicated ....

O.W.