Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ponds

Quote Originally Posted by samuel adams View Post
    i would have wore gray then.....

I'll be sure to wear gray if i come to visit.....and i'll just keep quiet so's not to confuse him with my accent.

rofl

ETA: O & BTW those ponds are all natural, no chemicals lol. And OW you can come and talk.
    Last edited by CaryC; 08-21-2017 at 10:56 AM.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Adams
    Do you suppose that gator knows sign language ?

I'd hate to be the odd man out, in the event we go for a beer or sumthin'.

Default Detectorall is a professional metal detector supplier!

Detectorall Co., Ltd. produces metal detectors and security devices with excellent quality and favorable price. View more details:
    frequency detector

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Noun View Post
    Detectorall Co., Ltd. produces metal detectors and security devices with excellent quality and favorable price. View more details:
    frequency detector
    If'n Lenno wasn't afraid a water he'da jump in this thread with both feet all over you for spamin this thread.

See'ins how you be the new guy I'm gonna extend the courtesy and direct your entrepreneurship to the market place ... the market place is where we buy 'n sell stuff and where advertisers such as yourself can offer their products and services and not resort to gummin up an otherwise sensible yet entertaining thread.

Now get on outta here.

O.W.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Adams View Post
    Where's Cary's Croc when we need one ?
    I think he may have gone over to the next county, which is a wet county, to get a beer. He got elected by using croc, paper, scissors, and since he can't make a scissors, we knew he would make a croc, so we made paper, which made him odd croc out. As slow as he is, it'll be a few days before he gets back.

Don't ever ask him to do anything. He's way to slow, and he'll give you his bad eyes, on top of it.

Our county is dry.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

A couple additions in response to the original post.

The "blue color" and clear water is courtesy of copper sulfate. "Natural", as far as it goes, but a pretty darned effective algaecide. However, while that's great for swimming pools, it's not so good for ponds, especially if you want wildlife.

There is a *real* natural way to keep your pond water clearer, though... barley straw! The cheapest way is to simply buy a couple bales of barley straw and either put a few flakes into a net bag, or simply toss them into the pond. There are lots of more expensive ways, though... http://www.clearpond.com/docs/Barley_Straw.html

Dunno if other varieties of straw work... the only thing I've read about and seen for sale is barley straw.

If you want ducks, you DON'T want snapping turtles. They'll wipe out ducklings faster than the ducks can produce them. Other predators can be a problem as well... one thing that worked really well for us when we were keeping ducks and geese on a fairly isolated pond in the woods (read: home to every coyote, fox, raccoon, etc around) was to build an "artificial island" about 25 feet out. Just a "dock"... four poles and some 1/2" hardware cloth (so it didn't collect piles of poop). The birds would sleep on it, rather than on shore, and apparently none of the critters really wanted to have to swim for a meal.

As far as "can you have too many ducks"... sure. You can have too many of ANYthing; if you don't maintain a balance, nature will! Ducks eat snails, tadpoles, bugs, insect larvae, etc, as well as vegetation. If you overpopulate (say, several dozen ducks on a small pond) they'll clean out the easiest food sources first, and then work their way down. Their manure will fertilize the pond plants... and then over fertilize it. They'll also make a horrendous mess of the pond banks and area... waterfowl poop is FOUL! LOL!

However, if you don't make some effort to help control predators, it's unlikely you'll ever end up with "too many"...

Summerthyme

Thanks for this SummerThyme ... still waiting on the announcement.

O.W.

Barley ye don't say?? Hymn
    "On hire from Swiss or Sweden, be me Christain, be me heathen,The Devil to the sabre I shall put"