Thread: Ponds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ponds

So, I'm gettin a couple of ponds ... they come with ducks too, the source is an artesian well.

I recall, as a child, playing in and around natural bodies of water, cattails and water lilies and snakes and moss and muskrat ... and snakes.

These ponds don't have none of that and the water is blue, not deep sea ocean blue but human introduced, chemical blue.

The current owner tells me that this chemical keeps the naturally associated vegetation at bay and is harmless to critters and peeps.

Any thoughts on this ... and should I get more ducks, can ya have too many ducks?

O.W.

Let that pond go back to its natural state, ASAP.
    Until then, all bets are pretty much off.

I can't bring myself to trust the chemical pushers.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Adams View Post
    Let that pond go back to its natural state, ASAP.
    I expected as much, thanks Sam.

Surely there's no adverse conditions such as obstruction of the well head or pump from the presence of natural vegetation.

O.W.

Hey OW,

Ya found a place? That is good news.

On the chemicals, I think that is a personal choice. If it doesn't hurt the animals. And the ducks. A lot of the chemicals we use around the house, tell you to not let them get in water run off's into creeks and ponds. I think the EPA, Land Management, gov. types keep a pretty close check on that stuff. Even my plant had to abide by a certain percentage of the same stuff they make sun tan lotion out of, to be EPA compliant, or be fined.

I mean I use chemicals to kill mice and rats.

And I use lead to treat for snakes. Had to put one down in my front yard, hum a couple of days ago about a 5 footer, non-poisonous but the dog is allergic to 'em and breaks out in hives, if he gets them in his mouth. The dog was just not going to leave it alone.

And the ponds may be a draw (watering hole) for larger more white tailey in stature animals.

If it's in a good flight path you might even get some honkers to land.

'Course if you get to far north, you might have to learn how to skin grizz. But it will be OK cuz the ducks won't be around then. They'll be visiting me. Hummm, hummm good. Just saying LOL.

Congrats on the ponds.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

the source is an artesian well.
    As a side note: When we say 'artesian well' around here we mean one that does not need a pump, but flows up naturally. And also around here, those types of wells contain a lot of iron, which in turn turns all the vegetation around it a rust color.

So my suggestion is to investigate it a bit further before you decide on what to do. 'Course you may like orange better than blue LOL.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    As a side note: When we say 'artesian well' around here we mean one that does not need a pump, but flows up naturally.
    Water flows freely up through the well head, the pump is to apply a bit of pressure to get it up to the house and then a neighbor's house 500 yards distant.

I've had well water, in Ohio, that had the rotten egg smell and odd flavor and even with a water softener, washed clothes were never again the same as near new.

I've enjoyed many a chaw of tobacco but never much cared to watch folk run around in circles makin noise and wastin gas ....

O.W.

My water system for the barns depends on clean stainless screening in the pond.
    There is occasional maintenance, involving swimming shorts and a wire
    brush. Sometimes I get fancy and back flush the system with compressed air.

No chemicals, no ag runoff of any kind gets into that pond.

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    .... Congrats on the ponds.
    Thanks Cary.

Ya know where Lexington Al is? It ain't there, just the other side of but directly on the border, still a Tennessean.

O.W.

Yeah well OK. Not bad.

One more move south and you'll be chewing tobacco, using a wallet on a chain, and be watching NASCAR on Sunday's.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him