Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ponds

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Adams View Post
    My water system for the barns depends on clean stainless screening in the pond.
    Later I'll ask ya to elaborate but for now these ponds are just to provide a place for the ducks, frogs and snakes ... well, mehbe not snakes, I've been told that the ducks is kinda hard on the snakes but you know, pond critters.

I just thought it odd that there were no tall grasses, cattails and pond lilies normally associated with so much water and that chemicals were added to prevent such ... what? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by HouseWolf View Post
    I don't swim in them though, as the alligator snappers are protected by law...
    Alligator snappers? ... what's an Alligator snapper and what besides teethmarks might be a tell tale sign they're there?

Ah, here's one -

O.W.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
    Later I'll ask ya to elaborate but for now these ponds are just to provide a place for the ducks, frogs and snakes ... well, mehbe not snakes, I've been told that the ducks is kinda hard on the snakes but you know, pond critters.

I just thought it odd that there were no tall grasses, cattails and pond lilies normally associated with so much water and that chemicals were added to prevent such ... what? Why?

Alligator snappers? ... what's an Alligator snapper and what besides teethmarks might be a tell tale sign they're there?

O.W.
    A warrior lives by acting, not by thinking about acting, nor by thinking about what he will think when he has finished acting.

and on day two -

O.W.

Do you 'spose they're naturally good natured or mehbe quick to respond to a potential food source?

Like this one -

O.W.

I've swam in every confeivable swamp and river nastiness north of the Mason/Dixon line......gars, snappers, snakes, 75#+ catfish.....Never had a water critter come after me.
    I've startled big snappers and even had one basically swim up into my lap as we were draining a pond, once....
    He beat a hasty retreat rather than show any aggression.

Now the ones I've cornered on land show a different temperament altogether.

That's been my experience.

Snappers are pretty tough on other wild critters, and waterfowl, especially, fwiw.

.... Snappers are pretty tough on other wild critters, and waterfowl, especially, fwiw.
    I can imagine.

The lady currently occupying the residence commented on the abundance of fish in the ponds suggesting they may be near the top of that particular food chain.

O.W.

Never had a water critter come after me
    Hummmm I can't say that. A friend and I were fishing a slew, for some Bream down in the river bottom. We were on the bank, and this Blunt Tail Cottonmouth made a run at us.

We at first tried sort of pushing him away with our 7' fly rods. He was bound and determined to get at us. As he was coming up on the bank, towards us, we picked up some limbs about as big around as the business end of a baseball bat. He was trying to get us, and we was trying to get him. He was pretty good size 'tween 4-5' and about as big around as your arm.

We finally prevailed, and gathered him up and put him in the truck to go show him off, back home.

Got home and pulled him out of the bed of the truck, and threw him on the ground for all to see. He crawled off. We started running around to find something, anything to kill that snake. Jim ran in the house and got his gun, and loaded it. By that time the snake had crawled into the road, and someone ran over it. We couldn't believe someone had killed OUR snake. That just wasn't right. After all the work we had done, and then someone else killed our snake, and didn't even stop, either.

Them Blunt Tail Cottonmouths are the meanest snakes on the planet, and don't get along with nobody. And they certainly don't like nobody fishing their waters.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

I have heard about three accounts of cottonmouths, around these central Illinois parts, in my fifty years.

One was our gym teacher, circa 1982ish.....who was bitten by one while mowing in a swampy area.

So they are around.....and I've heard they're aggressive.

Incidentally, some days I envy you your alligators, down there.

Some days, I do not.....

I have heard about three accounts of cottonmouths, around these central Illinois parts, in my fifty years.

One was our gym teacher, circa 1982ish.....who was bitten by one while mowing in a swampy area.

So they are around.....and I've heard they're aggressive.

Incidentally, some days I envy you your alligators, down there.

Some days, I do not.....
    What our pets?????

Yeah pets! We got one on our hunting club, that moseyed over from the river and got in our Bream lakes. He's got a really cool slide that goes across the logging road we use to get to the "put in" place.

Most everybody brings him (I say "him", don't want to get to personal) something to eat. Whole chickens, roasts, spam (taken out of the can), and even Vienna Sausage. When He sees you coming he goes to the "put in" place and waits on ya. Just in the water. Throw a sausage in, and he'll use the side of mouth to snatch it offen the top of the water. Snap.

You can use 'em to coax him out of the water by dangling some meat. I'll like 40' is close enough, throw the thing. He's cool though. Some of the guys still "put in" (that would be-boats) and Bream fish. Some of the biggest Bream I've ever seen, Blue Gill, and Strawberries. He just kind of swims around while they fish. No motors, just a short paddle, in a John boat. He may be about 8'.

They tell me Mississippi 'Gators are the meanest on the planet. I'm like naw, they just don't like Yankees LOL. So, you be careful when you come down. LOL
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

I would have wore gray then.....

I'll be sure to wear gray if I come to visit.....and I'll just keep quiet so's not to confuse him with my accent.