Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Solar Eclipse: Sign from God?

Default Solar Eclipse: Sign from God?

There seems to be some mocking of people who think the recent solar eclipse across America may be a sign from God. Witnessing the totality, yesterday, was very surreal, if that is the word, for me. Apparently, Nineveh was given a solar eclipse sign before Jonah came to them, declaring destruction from God. But, they repented, as did God.

Yesterday, we drove about 70 miles to meet with some friends from texas, South Dakota, and Nebraska to view the totality in Central City, Nebraska. My friend from South Dakota, who is way more aware of God's "coincidences" than I was talking about the very thing the following, from a Jewish Rabbi, is saying, which I find very, very interesting. Am certain the Wiskey Reb will find the article inspiring, but am wondering if anyone else has the same sense of warning?

The Next Solar Eclipse in 2024: A Startling Message for the World
    by Rabbi Benjamin Blech
    The mystical meaning of the next eclipse which is only seven years away.

Amazingly enough, the “totality eclipse” which took place this past Monday across the continental United States was not the end of the story. While eclipses of this magnitude are fairly rare occurrences – scientists tell us that if you stood in one place on earth you would have to wait on average another 360 years until you again saw another total eclipse – this time round is going to be different. A sequel is due a mere seven years later, on April 8, 2024.
    This proximity of time is almost beyond belief. It defies law of averages. It means that anyone who might have missed the blackout of the sun this year will have another opportunity to join the millions who shared viewing this magnificent cosmic performance on August 21 of this year.
    But there’s something even more remarkable about this “double feature.”
    The path of the eclipse in 2017 went from Northwest to Southeast, from Oregon to South Carolina. It reached its point of greatest duration a few miles south of Carbondale, Illinois. Totality lasted for two minutes and thirty-eight seconds. In 2024 the eclipse will wend its way in the opposite direction, from the Northeast to the southwest. There is one point however which will mark the intersection between this year’s eclipse and the one to come, the meeting of the two different paths across the United States, as if marking the center of a large X. It is precisely in the very same spot in Illinois where totality – the complete eclipse of the sun – will be repeated for the greatest length of time. That exact point where the 2017 and 2024 lines of totality cross is Cedar Lake in Jackson County, just south of Carbondale.
    And here is the spooky part.
    That geographic location has a name. It is called Little Egypt!
    How it got its name has a biblical source. It seems that in the mid-19th century there was a famine in northern Illinois. Thankfully, there was a bountiful harvest in the South. So the people in the North said that they felt themselves like the children of Jacob who in a time of famine were forced to go down to Egypt to seek food for their families – and the Carbondale region which saved their lives became known to this day as Little Egypt.
    If you believe, as I do, that coincidences are but God’s way of choosing to remain anonymous and that they carry great significance as divinely inspired messages, it surely bears noting the remarkable link between the story of our original exile to Egypt and the “X marks the spot” Little Egypt location of the rare dual eclipses of our decade.
    There is an all-important number associated with the Torah account of the Egyptian exile. It was in a prophecy to Abraham that God informed our patriarch of the time that would first bring darkness to his descendants: "You shall surely know that your seed will be strangers in a land that is not theirs, and they will enslave them and oppress them, for 400 years" (Genesis 15:13).
    A solar eclipse is predicated on that very number. The sun, as the Bible told us, is larger than the moon: “And God made the two great luminaries: the large luminary to rule the day and the small luminary to rule the night…” (Genesis 1:15).] To be exact we know that the sun is exactly 400 times larger than the moon. How is it possible for the moon, so much smaller, to cover the sun to our eyes in an eclipse? That is because the sun is also 400 times further from us than the moon – a relationship of distance exactly parallel to that of size!
    In the mystic tradition of Kabbalah the number 400 is meant to alert us to special meaning. It is the number 40 – the days Moses spent on mount Sinai, the days of the flood, and a host of other spiritually important moments – brought to the tenth power.
    The relationship between the sun and the moon and the years predicted for the Egyptian exile share the number 400 so that we be attentive to a powerful divine message. An eclipse, the Talmud teaches us, is a heavenly sign. An eclipse of the moon, the rabbis tell us, is a bad omen for the Jewish people; an eclipse of the sun is a bad sign for the non-Jewish world. I dare to suggest that an eclipse across the continental United States of America linked to Little Egypt may well serve as a warning to the darkening of the American spirit – for the very same reason the children of Israel ended up in Egypt of old to shortly begin the era of their slavery.
    The children of Jacob were guilty of a serious crime. It was the sin of hatred between brothers. It was the crime of the sale of Joseph which led to our first exile. That is what first darkened the pages of our national history as Jews. And that is what, post Charlottesville, darkens the story of American democracy. The cover of this week’s Time magazine carries the ominous headline “Hatred Across America”. More than a century after the Civil War, Americans are at war with each other – and after a little more than half a century past the Holocaust the barbaric cries of Nazi anti-Semitism and “let’s replace the Jews” are also incredibly again heard in our land.
    If an eclipse does in fact have divine meaning, this must be a wake-up call. Little Egypt speaks to contemporary America just as ancient Egypt did for us as Jews throughout the ages. Egypt with either adjective, little or ancient, has always served as a tragic lesson for the consequences of enmity between brother and brother, between human beings all created in the same image of God.
    In an eclipse, the sun continues to shine even if we are temporarily blinded to the rays of its goodness. God has not deserted us, nor will He ever do so. Eclipses are not curses; they are but warnings.
    If we but heed their message, we may turn the eclipses of 2017 and 2024 into the blessings for which they were divinely intended.

This article can also be read at: http://www.aish.com/ci/s/The-Next-So...the-World.html

Quote Originally Posted by dmatic View Post
    There seems to be some mocking of people who think the recent solar eclipse across America may be a sign from God. Witnessing the totality, yesterday, was very surreal, if that is the word, for me. Apparently, Nineveh was given a solar eclipse sign before Jonah came to them, declaring destruction from God. But, they repented, as did God.
    I'm not sure where you got the idea that Nineveh was given a solar eclipse sign before Jonah came but I don't see any evidence of that. And I tend to reject the idea that these reoccurring natural phenomena should be interpreted as signs from God. How many times has an eclipse occurred over the US in the last 100 years?

If this is supposed to be a sign from God how about all of the others? Can you point to something specific that God was trying to tell us for each and every one of them? If you can't, even with the help of hindsight, then I don't see how you can call them signs from God. What Christ seems to be talking about in Mat 24:29 are unprecedented events having to do with the sun, moon, and stars, not some regular reoccurring phenomena.

And having easy access to God's Word we should already know where we are at as a nation. For example:

Isa 59:12 ​​​​​​​​For our transgressions are multiplied before you, ​​​​​​​and our sins testify against us; ​​​​​​​for our transgressions are with us, ​​​​​​​and we know our iniquities: ​​​
    Isa 59:13 ​​​​​​​​transgressing, and denying the LORD, ​​​​​​​and turning back from following our God, ​​​​​​​speaking oppression and revolt, ​​​​​​​conceiving and uttering from the heart lying words. ​​​
    Isa 59:14 ​​​​​​​​Justice is turned back, ​​​​​​​and righteousness stands far away; ​​​​​​​for truth has stumbled in the public squares, ​​​​​​​and uprightness cannot enter. ​​​
    Isa 59:15 ​​​​​​​​Truth is lacking, ​​​​​​​and he who departs from evil makes himself a prey. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​The LORD saw it, and it displeased him ​​​​​​​that there was no justice. ​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Forty9er View Post
    I'm not sure where you got the idea that Nineveh was given a solar eclipse sign before Jonah came but I don't see any evidence of that. And I tend to reject the idea that these reoccurring natural phenomena should be interpreted as signs from God. How many times has an eclipse occurred over the US in the last 100 years?
    I used the word 'apparently', because I, personally, have no proof of that eclipse given to Nineveh as a sign. My wife and I were invited to a church in a nearby town on Sunday and the pastor said it. (He wouldn't lie, would he?) But, I had read the same thing on somebody's blog or article some months ago, but I'm not sure how to research it. Have you researched it, fortyniner? I would love to hear of your results if you have.

I don't know how many eclipses have occurred over the US in the last 100 years, though, they say that this was the first one that could only be seen in totality here, since our founding. It has also, apparently, been 99 years since a solar eclipse's totality path went from coast to coast, here. The apparent fact that in a little less than 7 years, another total solar eclipse's path intersects at the exact same point, "little Egypt" area in Southern Illinois, where the period of totality will last the longest, in both eclipses, which is near, or over, the New Madrid fault line, is simply "coincidence"?

The apparent fact that the path of this recent eclipse went through seven cities in the US named "Salem" is also of interest to me.

Since God said, in Gen.1:14 "Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years....etc., I am simply asking if anyone else sees this eclipse as a sign from God. There seem to be very many who do not see this as a sign, but simply as "science", in which they believe. It has seemed to me that many of them do not believe in God, really, so that has not surprised me. They seem to take an attitude that they are better than those who believe in such silly notions. But this does not surprise me, either, since scripture says that in the last, or latter days there will be mockers....saying, where is the promise of His coming? The earth goes on since it always has.....kindof like what you believe, apparently.

Good scriptures you referred to, for sure! May we all see the promise of His coming and repent, no matter when that is, but, I hope you agree, that this nation, for surre, is in dire need of repentance! May God grant it and lead us there...and then heal our broken land...

I used the word 'apparently', because I, personally, have no proof of that eclipse given to Nineveh as a sign. My wife and I were invited to a church in a nearby town on Sunday and the pastor said it. (He wouldn't lie, would he?) But, I had read the same thing on somebody's blog or article some months ago, but I'm not sure how to research it. Have you researched it, fortyniner? I would love to hear of your results if you have.
    When I said I didn't see any evidence for that kind of sign for Jonah what I primarily meant was in Scripture. But even if you could find all of the eclipses which occurred in that area around that time, I don't think you could determine with any accuracy when the events in the book of Jonah took place. So there would be no way to make that kind of claim.

I don't know how many eclipses have occurred over the US in the last 100 years, though, they say that this was the first one that could only be seen in totality here, since our founding. It has also, apparently, been 99 years since a solar eclipse's totality path went from coast to coast, here. The apparent fact that in a little less than 7 years, another total solar eclipse's path intersects at the exact same point, "little Egypt" area in Southern Illinois, where the period of totality will last the longest, in both eclipses, which is near, or over, the New Madrid fault line, is simply "coincidence"?
    Yes, I would say a coincidence. If you think it isn't a coincidence, why don't you investigate where eclipses have intersected in the past and then explain what the resulting calamity was? I seriously doubt you would find anything that would say it was some kind of sign.

Since God said, in Gen.1:14 "Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years....etc., I am simply asking if anyone else sees this eclipse as a sign from God. There seem to be very many who do not see this as a sign, but simply as "science", in which they believe. It has seemed to me that many of them do not believe in God, really, so that has not surprised me. They seem to take an attitude that they are better than those who believe in such silly notions. But this does not surprise me, either, since scripture says that in the last, or latter days there will be mockers....saying, where is the promise of His coming? The earth goes on since it always has.....kindof like what you believe, apparently.
    Don't forget what Christ has said:

Matt 12:39 But he answered them, “An evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.
    Luke 11:30 For as Jonah became a sign to the people of Nineveh, so will the Son of Man be to this generation.
    Certainly, the primary meaning of these verses were in regard to the generation alive at that time but can't they also apply to this generation as well? Christ said that Jonah was the sign to the people of Nineveh and He would be the sign to the current generation. I think that is still true today but instead of having Christ on earth as they did we have the testimony about Him in His Word. Even the sign that Christ mentions in Mat 24:29 comes after, not before, "the tribulation of those days".

Matthew 24:12 and because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
    Revelation 14:7
    Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.
    "not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.”

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

The Aug. 21 eclipse was the first total solar eclipse to cross the U.S. from coast to coast in 99 years. The last one was in 1918.Aug. 21 was the first such eclipse visible ONLY in the United States in history.

About 3 weeks before this eclipse I began to pray after this fashion:

Father, I want to ask you a favor. We are about to have this full solar eclipse seen all across the country. If this is a sign of judgment on this nation, please make it visible to everyone along its path. You are a just God, and it is only fair that if this is a warning of judgment that everyone can see it. I ask you to not allow any clouds to block the view of the eclipse anywhere along the band of totality. If there is a normal amount of cloud cover, where some people see it and some don't, then it's just a really cool celestial event, and those of us who can see it will just enjoy the show. But if everyone under the path of the totality have a chance to see the eclipse, then it's a fair warning.

Over that 3 weeks, the forecast for my area (which lies in the path of totality) went from 50% chance of rain, to 20% to none. It was a stunningly beautiful day, and we had a glorious view of the eclipse, with 42 seconds of unobstructed totality.

I searched the news reports and the places they thought were going to be blocked from view, in Nebraska and South Carolina, had a "miraculous" break in the clouds. I did not see any reports of people in the path of totality disappointed by having no view of the eclipse. That was a sobering feeling.

I believe it was a sign from God. I believe we have been warned. And while I do not know what the significance of the 2024 repeat eclipse is, I don't believe it is a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by grower View Post
    I believe it was a sign from God. I believe we have been warned. And while I do not know what the significance of the 2024 repeat eclipse is, I don't believe it is a coincidence.
    Let me respond first by saying that I know that you won't typically respond to my post so I don't expect it. But why should this be some special warning from God? Can any believer say in clear conscience that we as a nation are not deserving of God's judgment, or haven't been for many years? Do we somehow need this warning to tell us how far we have traveled down that path? And who is this sign for? The faithful who know very well already our sins as a nation, or the ungodly who will totally ignore it?

I really can't see it and don't think this is a sign that can be justified by Scripture. You mentioned that the last time there was a coast to coast eclipse was 99 years ago. Was that also some specific sign from God of judgment? If it was, what was that judgment? I don't see any specific judgment that can be associated with it. The first world war ended in 1918 and the Great Depression wouldn't happen for another 11 years. And if it isn't a specific warning of imminent judgment but only a very generic warning then I think it has lost its meaning.

I think we should also consider the implications of assuming regular eclipses are a sign from God. Since eclipse dates and precise locations can be predicted, doesn't this mean that we should be able to predict these signs and subsequent judgments from God? And wouldn't this allow people to "live it up" and sin with impunity until the the eclipse and only then clean up their act? I think assigning this kind of meaning to regular celestial events is without justification.

When Jesus came to earth what did he say about the time of the end. Did he mention signs in the heavens? For the clouds to be void all along the path should serve notice to all . “But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”
    Revelation 14:7
    Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.
    "not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.”

Quote Originally Posted by grower View Post
    I searched the news reports and the places they thought were going to be blocked from view, in Nebraska and South Carolina, had a "miraculous" break in the clouds. I did not see any reports of people in the path of totality disappointed by having no view of the eclipse. That was a sobering feeling.

Thanks, grower, for your prayer, and for your post. Being from Nebraska, I can attest to the "miraculous" answer to your prayer, if it was a "sign from God" and not some normal, seemingly random, "scientific" event. The local news channel had reports from many locations across the state where totality occurred. Bill Nye the Science guy was at a place near Beatrice, Ne., Homestead Monument Park, I think, where the crowd was anticipating great disappointment because of the clouds, when, just as it was in the totality phase, the clouds broke making for a dramatic view. Later that evening, parts of Nebraska received much rain, as did Kansas and South Dakota.

I read your response, and forty9er's, to me wife and she said: "Everything is a sign from God. This event, however, was in CAPITAL LETTERS!" To which, I heartily agreed.

Agree with your response, too, Daniel. Thanks. To Mr. forty9er, I guess I would repeat that scripture indicates the these lights in the sky created by God are for SIGNS! (Gen 1:14) For him to suggest otherwise, as he has, seems to indicate that he disagrees with the Author's Word on the matter.

Signs are signs. What these signs are signs of is the question. I think prayer to the Creator of these signs is in order...not a simple dismissal of His intended message, or an arrogant mocking of His methods, as I hear from many with whom I inquire and comment.
    Last edited by dmatic; 08-24-2017 at 08:29 AM. Reason: clarity

I read your response, and forty9er's, to me wife and she said: "Everything is a sign from God. This event, however, was in CAPITAL LETTERS!" To which, I heartily agreed.
    Let me clarify what I have said. You and others are free to find meaning in this eclipse. That is your privilege. I too have felt at various times that God had spoken to me through certain events. But here is what I think is different about that. I felt at those times that those messages were personal messages to me and not general messages to everyone or general warnings from God.

If this was a universal sign from God in capital letters that everyone should know and understand, what exactly was the message? Should we expect some immediate judgment on our country? Is the tribulation starting? If the US repents will the tribulation be put off for 20 or 50 years? If you want to take some personal meaning from the eclipse, I don't have any objection, but I don't see any clear specific meaning that God intends for everyone to understand.

In regard to this being a fulfillment of prophecy regarding the end times, I don't see that it is consistent with Scripture. Here are some of the relevant passages:

Isa 13:9 ​​​​​​​​Behold, the day of the LORD comes, ​​​​​​​cruel, with wrath and fierce anger, ​​​​​​​to make the land a desolation ​​​​​​​and to destroy its sinners from it. ​​​
    Isa 13:10 ​​​​​​​​For the stars of the heavens and their constellations ​​​​​​​will not give their light; ​​​​​​​the sun will be dark at its rising, ​​​​​​​and the moon will not shed its light. ​​​
    Joel 2:31 The sun shall be turned to darkness, and the moon to blood, before the great and awesome day of the LORD comes.
    Matt 24:29 “Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
    Matt 24:30 Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
    Luke 21:25 There will be signs in the sun, moon, and stars; and on the earth anxiety of nations, in perplexity for the roaring of the sea and the waves;
    Luke 21:26 men fainting for fear, and for expectation of the things which are coming on the world: for the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
    Is this what we saw a few days ago? Anxiety of nations and men fainting for fear? When these signs occur they will be unprecedented events which will cause the anxiety and fear that these verses are talking about but that is not what we saw with the eclipse.