Thread: Judge Not That Ye Be Not Judged

Default Judge Not That Ye Be Not Judged

Judge Not That Ye Be Not Judged

We are not to make judgments as to whether a person is good or a person is bad. We are to let those who have authority do the judging.

God has given us government with judges who have authority to judge peoples innocence or guilt. Ultimately God is the judge. He is the only one to have ultimately authority to judge and to take vengeance. “Vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord.”

Then if we are not to judge a person's innocence or guilt how are we to make decisions on whether or not we should do business with them, or interact with them in some other way? We do not make decisions on whether judgment, we listen to God as to whether or not to do business with them, or associate with them, or whatever. We listen to God and treat people the way God tells us to treat them.

We should never treat people on the basis of our judgments about them. We must not judge or we will be judged.

Now, only Christians can to God in order to make decisions about our relationship with people. Christians can listen to God, because we belong to God and have a relationship with God. Christians can walk in the Spirit. We can walk in the Holy Spirit because when we received Jesus Christ as our savior God placed His Holy Spirit within us. Christians are to make all their decisions based not on judgments we have made about others, their innocence or guilt, but all our decisions are to be made by listening to God as to what our actions should be. We are not even to make decisions about people, as to judging them even on the basis of what God leads us to do in relation to them. All judgment belongs to God and those He has given authority to judge, such as court judges.

Genesis 18:25 “...shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?”

Matthew 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
    2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

Luke 6:37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

John 12:47 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
    48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

Romans 14:13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

I Corinthians 4:3 But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self.
    4 For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.
    5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

James 4:11 Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge.
    12 There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?
    John 14:6 New Living Translation (NLT)

6 Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.

Everyone judges every day. Secularists call it free choice.

God gave us His righteous laws to enable us to judge wisely...
    to bless us with God's divine compass and steering.

Paul said:

" Do you not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are you unworthy to judge the smallest matters?

Know you not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life? "

1 Corinthians 6:2-3

I agree with KingsX. We have to be able to know right from wrong. And recognize it when we see it.
    What we are not to do is to judge a man/woman's relationship to Jesus. We are not to condemn a person to hell or say what they have done or said or whatever is going to place them "in the lake of fire". It is not our place to do that. It is God's.
    Do not pass judgement on a person.

Judge not lest you be judged is one of the most misused verse in the New Testament. It is the classic case to validate the argument against verses instead of just chapters. The whole train of thought is difficult to convey in a verse. The enemy uses this verse the most against the uninitiated.
    Hwæt! Wé Gárdena in géardagum þéodcyninga þrym gefrúnon· hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon. - Listen! We of the Spear-Danes in the days of yore, of those clan-kings heard of their glory. How the worthy princes performed courageous deeds.

I would explain things to you but....I'm all out of crayons and puppets.

Here is the entire context of "judge not lest ye be judged":

Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
    Mat 7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
    Mat 7:3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
    Mat 7:4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
    Mat 7:5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
    Seems everyone in quoting verse 1, misses verse 5. You can judge, BUT you need to judge yourself first, instead of by someone else. And then, AND THEN, you can take the beam out of someone else's eye.

The point being made isn't about judging others. The "judge not" that everyone is so fond of quoting. It's about judging yourself, and getting yourself right, getting the beam out of your own eye. Notice the next verse, verse 6:

Mat 7:6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
    There are several "judgments" made in that verse, which you are told to do.

Commentary by Albert Barnes on verse 6:

Matthew 7:6
    Give not that which is holy ... - By some the word “holy” has been supposed to mean “flesh offered in sacrifice,” made holy, or separated to a sacred use; but it probably means here “anything connected with religion” - admonition, precept, or doctrine. Pearls are precious stones found in shell-fish, chiefly in India, in the waters that surround Ceylon. They are used to denote anything especially precious, Rev_17:4; Rev_18:12-16; Mat_13:45. In this place they are used to denote the doctrines of the gospel. “Dogs” signify people who spurn, oppose, and abuse that doctrine; people of special sourness and malignity of temper, who meet it like growling and quarrelsome curs, Phi_3:2; 2Pe_2:22; Rev_22:15. “Swine” denote those who would trample the precepts underfoot; people of impurity of life; those who are corrupt, polluted, profane, obscene, and sensual; those who would not know the value of the gospel, and who would tread it down as swine would pearls, 2Pe_2:22; Pro_11:22. The meaning of this proverb, then, is, do not offer your doctrine to those violent and abusive people who would growl and curse you; nor to those especially debased and profligate who would not perceive its value, would trample it down, and would abuse you. This verse furnishes a beautiful instance of what has been called the “introverted parallelism.” The usual mode of poetry among the Hebrews, and a common mode of expression in proverbs and apothegms, was by the parallelism, where one member of a sentence answered to another, or expressed substantially the same sense with some addition or modification. See the Introduction to the Book of Job. Sometimes this was alternate, and sometimes it was introverted - where the first and fourth lines would correspond, and the second and third. This is the case here. The dogs would tear, and not the swine; the swine would trample the pearls under their feet, and not the dogs. It may be thus expressed:
    Give not that which is holy unto the dogs,
    Neither cast ye your pearls before swine,
    Lest they (that is, the swine) trample them under their feet,
    And turn again (that is, the dogs) and rend you.
    My 2cents
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Amazing how people can take a verse against hypocrisy. Then use it to do the devils work by shutting up believers when they see evil.

Quote Originally Posted by naturallysweet View Post
    Amazing how people can take a verse against hypocrisy. Then use it to do the devils work by shutting up believers when they see evil.
    That's called hitting the nail on the head, BAM.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him