Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: The Lake of Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Wiskey Reb View Post
    Actually, there is no known original or official universalist idea.
    Unless, of course, you bring our Father into the discussion. He is the first "universalist".

Quote Originally Posted by dmatic View Post
    Unless, of course, you bring our Father into the discussion. He is the first "universalist".
    Ha!! Well, in seeing His original position on it as an immutable and infinite One and Only, I'm decidedly interested in retaining what He made as an individualized and seperate form called 'me'. I'm hoping to avoid being wholly assimilated into that Oneness, as it is not a collective. But a faith community who sees G-d as that, and sets itself toward having a mind akin to His will is more my cup of tea.
    But what weapons can you use to dispossess someone who will not accept anything except Holy Scripture interpreted according to his own rules?...Where Lutheranism reigns, learning dies. They seek only two things: good pay and a wife. The gospel offers them the rest — that is, the power of living as they please.

I understand now how Arius and Tertullian and Wickliff were driven into schism by malicious clergy and wicked monks.

(Erasmus regarding Luther and the church, 1527, 1529)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiskey Reb View Post
    Ha!! Well, in seeing His original position on it as an immutable and infinite One and Only, I'm decidedly interested in retaining what He made as an individualized and seperate form called 'me'. I'm hoping to avoid being wholly assimilated into that Oneness, as it is not a collective. But a faith community who sees G-d as that, and sets itself toward having a mind akin to His will is more my cup of tea.

Just remember, that in Him we live and move and have our being. And someday He will be All in All, too!

Quote Originally Posted by dmatic View Post
    Just remember, that in Him we live and move and have our being. And someday He will be All in All, too!
    Sure, but that does not mean we will be Him. He is not a collective. Rather, "we will be like Him, for we will see Him as He is".
    But what weapons can you use to dispossess someone who will not accept anything except Holy Scripture interpreted according to his own rules?...Where Lutheranism reigns, learning dies. They seek only two things: good pay and a wife. The gospel offers them the rest — that is, the power of living as they please.

I understand now how Arius and Tertullian and Wickliff were driven into schism by malicious clergy and wicked monks.

(Erasmus regarding Luther and the church, 1527, 1529)