Thread: This still comes up from time to time---Colossians 2 in CONTEXT:

Default This still comes up from time to time---Colossians 2 in CONTEXT:

A quick look at using Col 2:16 as a ‘proof’ text against keeping Sabbath, feast days, or being able to now eat rats or pigs, etc. It’s time to put that one out to pasture. Usually, folks don’t even try that verse anymore after seeing it says opposite of what they think. Many have to confront this issue…people pulling one verse completely out of its context and say “ah-ha! there it is! We do not have to obey!” Oddly, that verse IN CONTEXT is their ruin! Let’s have a careful, objective look at these words IN CONTEXT…

Col 2:4 And this I say, lest “ANY MAN” should “beguile you with enticing words.”

Col 2:8 Beware lest “ANY MAN” “spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men”, after the “rudiments of the world”, and “not after Messiah”.

Col 2:18 Let “NO MAN” “beguile you” of “your reward” in a voluntary humility and “worshipping of angels”, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, “vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind”,

Col 2:22 … after the “commandments and DOCTRINES OF MEN?”

Col 2:16-17 Let “NO MAN” therefore “judge you in eating or in drinking, or in respect of a festival or a new moon or Sabbaths… – which are a shadow of what is to come – but the Body of the Messiah”.

Let’s identify this ‘MAN’ who is NOT to judge us…a beguiler, a spoiler through philosophy, vainly deceitful, a man after the TRADITIONS OF MEN, puffed up in the FLESH, not after Messiah, rudiments of the world, AFTER THE COMMANDMENTS AND DOCTRINES OF MEN! Hmmmm…chew on that.

My gosh, how clear can it be? This ‘man’ IS NOT part of the body of Messiah, but an outsider still in paganism, who was judging the body of believers for KEEPING those things! To continue to post to the contrary proves you do not want context, proves you do not want truth, and proves you have an agenda against obeying. His Sabbath, His feast days, His new moons, and eating clean food are His Word; NOT traditions of men. They were a GIVEN in those days, and are still alive and well for anyone who desire covenant with YHWH. Now, do you side with YHWH, or do you side with this ‘MAN’, this outsider, being spoken of? Who do you identify with? It’s time to choose! If you are still bent on disobeying, then you will have to find another verse to make you feel better about your sin.

That one is out to pasture.

Isa 66:22 “For as the new heavens and the new earth that I make stand before Me,” declares יהוה, “so your seed and your name shall stand.
    Isa 66:23 “And it shall be that from New Moon to New Moon, and from Sabbath to Sabbath, all flesh shall come to worship before Me,” declares יהוה.

"The one who says he stays in Him is indebted to walk, even as He walked." 1Jn 2:6

Without Torah, His walk is impossible - it's Rome's walk without Torah.

Thanks, Off-Grid. When I studied that verse, I looked deeply at the word, translated as "Judge", and if memory serves me, it meant teach. In other words, the verse could be read: Let no man teach you regarding the Sabbath Days, etc, except the body of Christ. Meaning, don't let pagans teach you, but DO let real followers of Christ teach you, because these things are important! They are shadows of what is really coming.

Quote Originally Posted by dmatic View Post
    Thanks, Off-Grid. When I studied that verse, I looked deeply at the word, translated as "Judge", and if memory serves me, it meant teach. In other words, the verse could be read: Let no man teach you regarding the Sabbath Days, etc, except the body of Christ. Meaning, don't let pagans teach you, but DO let real followers of Christ teach you, because these things are important! They are shadows of what is really coming.
    Thank you, dmatic! I'll check into that; the context removes ALL doubt. Much like Peter's vision...the context is unmistakable. People will still see only what they want to see, however.
    "The one who says he stays in Him is indebted to walk, even as He walked." 1Jn 2:6

Without Torah, His walk is impossible - it's Rome's walk without Torah.

This reminds me of Ephesians ch 2:14-15, which also deserves clarification. Jesus didn't abolish the Torah, but the particular halachic ordinances which kept Jew and gentile apart, clarifying both the halacha and the purpose for which it is given.
    But what weapons can you use to dispossess someone who will not accept anything except Holy Scripture interpreted according to his own rules?...Where Lutheranism reigns, learning dies. They seek only two things: good pay and a wife. The gospel offers them the rest — that is, the power of living as they please.

I understand now how Arius and Tertullian and Wickliff were driven into schism by malicious clergy and wicked monks.

(Erasmus regarding Luther and the church, 1527, 1529)