Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Erev Yom Kippur

Default Erev Yom Kippur

For those recognizing Yom Kippur, Tzom Kal, an easy fast to you and your family.
    But what weapons can you use to dispossess someone who will not accept anything except Holy Scripture interpreted according to his own rules?...Where Lutheranism reigns, learning dies. They seek only two things: good pay and a wife. The gospel offers them the rest — that is, the power of living as they please.

I understand now how Arius and Tertullian and Wickliff were driven into schism by malicious clergy and wicked monks.

(Erasmus regarding Luther and the church, 1527, 1529)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiskey Reb View Post
    For those recognizing Yom Kippur, Tzom Kal, an easy fast to you and your family.
    Have a great one, Wiskey! The last few years we have patterned the day after Is. 58, going to homeless camps and letting them make a list of items--tents, sleeping bags, sanitary products...whatever they come up with. We truly do call this high Sabbath an extreme delight!
    "The one who says he stays in Him is indebted to walk, even as He walked." 1Jn 2:6

Without Torah, His walk is impossible - it's Rome's walk without Torah.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Adams View Post
    Is this related to the Feast of Tabernacles ?
    Yes, Sukkot follows 5 days later when we sleep in Sukkas for 7 days...the ending, or the 8th day, is Shemini Atzeret---the culmination of the Fall Feasts.
    "The one who says he stays in Him is indebted to walk, even as He walked." 1Jn 2:6

Quote Originally Posted by Off-Grid Organics View Post
    Have a great one, Wiskey! The last few years we have patterned the day after Is. 58, going to homeless camps and letting them make a list of items--tents, sleeping bags, sanitary products...whatever they come up with. We truly do call this high Sabbath an extreme delight!
    Whaaa? Keeping a Jewish tradition? Performing tzedakah on the day before is customary, and Is 58 is a reading for the day, along with Jonah. We certainly had a rich and rewarding fast. My whole family spent erev YK and all day today studying the Machzor, tractate Yoma, and in great discussion with friends. It was rich, as I'm certain your day was as well.
    But what weapons can you use to dispossess someone who will not accept anything except Holy Scripture interpreted according to his own rules?...Where Lutheranism reigns, learning dies. They seek only two things: good pay and a wife. The gospel offers them the rest — that is, the power of living as they please.

I understand now how Arius and Tertullian and Wickliff were driven into schism by malicious clergy and wicked monks.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Adams View Post
    Is this related to the Feast of Tabernacles ?
    One can correctly view all the feasts as one. But the direct link Yom Kippur has to Sukkot is that It is the first real cry of repentance that sets the stage leading up to what Sukkot/Tabernacles represents. Some info on that is presented by Rabbi Sacks in the "Confusing Satan" video I posted in the first 3 1/2 minutes.

Whaaa? Keeping a Jewish tradition?
    Well, He says they are HIS feasts, so I'll incline with Him on the matter! So rich and full of meaning, sadly the worldly 'churches' has made their own festivals patterned after paganism, yet claiming to honor Him. What a slap in the face. I SOOO long for the coming Kingdom where EVERYONE will come to know the importance of what they have rejected. Truly, nothing new under the sun, eh?

2Ki 17:33 They were fearing יהוה, and they were serving their own mighty ones1, according to the ruling of the nations from among whom they had been exiled. Footnote: 1Mixed worship.

Zec 14:16 And it shall be that all who are left from all the gentiles which came up against Yerushalayim, shall go up from year to year to bow themselves to the Sovereign, יהוה of hosts, and to observe the Festival of Booths.
    Zec 14:17 And it shall be, that if anyone of the clans of the earth does not come up to Yerushalayim to bow himself to the Sovereign, יהוה of hosts, on them there is to be no rain.

The incredible thing about Yom Kippur that silences accusatory Christians is that this day is seen as the most important holy day in Judaism. And it is the very real and explicit commemoration of totally unmerited forgiveness and grace.

The incredible thing about Yom Kippur that silences accusatory Christians is that this day is seen as the most important holy day in Judaism. And it is the very real and explicit commemoration of totally unmerited forgiveness and grace.
    But what the Jews don't understand or accept is that God's forgiveness and grace are only through Jesus Christ and because of what He did on the cross.

John 1:17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
    They had been given the Law but instead of it leading them to Christ their hearts were hardened. Only a remnant believed and were saved. Being Jewish and having the Law saves no one even if they believe in some general concept of "messiah". People are only saved by belief in the person of Jesus Christ.

John 20:31 but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.
    Acts 4:12 And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

Quote Originally Posted by Forty9er View Post
    But what the Jews don't understand or accept is that God's forgiveness and grace are only through Jesus Christ and because of what He did on the cross.

They had been given the Law but instead of it leading them to Christ their hearts were hardened. Only a remnant believed and were saved. Being Jewish and having the Law saves no one even if they believe in some general concept of "messiah". People are only saved by belief in the person of Jesus Christ.
    Funny how much you diminish the "general concept of messiah". That is more than a general concept. It is the very heavenly reality that gives any fleshly representation its ability to affect any good at all. Notice in Acts 4:12 above, it is the name defined as that by which salvation comes, not the flesh and bone. A name conveys meaning, heavenly identity...."general concept". As I've stated before. I'm the one here who rejects the trinity, but I'm the one who treats messiah as most akin to G-d, recognizing the superceeding spiritual reality and eternal aspect above temporal flesh.

John 6:63 It's the Spirit who gives life; the flesh accomplishes nothing. The words that I've spoken to you are spirit and life.
    Jesus words saturate Jewish literature and tradition and teaching.....the spirit and the life.