Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the heck are ya'll doing for Health Insurance these days?

Default What the heck are ya'll doing for Health Insurance these days?

Lookinng for some suggestions on what TOL members are doing for Health Insurance. I just received my HSA Insurance premiums increase for 2018. Even the HSA that our company offers has increased in cost to the point that I cannot afford it.

What are other Texans (If any here) doing for NON Company offered Health Insurance?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Look into health share ministries. Some are for Christian believers, some are for almost anyone. They're exempt from Obamacare rules, so they are WAY less expensive and they have far more restrictions (for example, no smoking or no pre-existing conditions, or... whatever they require). Samaritan Health Share runs about $200/person but they have a Basic (catastrophic) plan about $100/month.

Quote Originally Posted by Interest Of Justice View Post
    Look into health share ministries. Some are for Christian believers, some are for almost anyone. They're exempt from Obamacare rules, so they are WAY less expensive and they have far more restrictions (for example, no smoking or no pre-existing conditions, or... whatever they require). Samaritan Health Share runs about $200/person but they have a Basic (catastrophic) plan about $100/month.
    Oh, and I should point out this is not INSURANCE, exactly... the members share each others' health costs at a set rate each month. And the members of qualified health shares are exempt from the Obamacare fines, etc.

As a US servicemember I have health care provided via my employer, the US Navy.

If I live near a military base, I have access on-base. I used this for 20+ years. My family was cared for by HM corpsmen for all of our medical needs; illnesses, child births, surgeries.

Now that I am retired we stay far away from military bases, and we are treated by MD doctors.

'Single-pay healthcare' gets you healthcare providers who may or may not have much training. Private healthcare gets you providers who have gone through college AND med school.

:)

The VA has treated me pretty well, I stopped getting flu shots decades ago so I've been quite healthy in that regard I gave-up horses 5 years ago so no more broken bones.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

Quote Originally Posted by The Texan View Post
    Lookinng for some suggestions on what TOL members are doing for Health Insurance. I just received my HSA Insurance premiums increase for 2018. Even the HSA that our company offers has increased in cost to the point that I cannot afford it.

What are other Texans (If any here) doing for NON Company offered Health Insurance?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Sorry Texan, wish I could be more help. Just went on Medicare, and my company is paying for the gap insurance.

While I was working......... My company offered the employees 2 plans 1) PPO which ran about 60.00 a week for my wife and I, and 2) Consumer's choice, which I didn't use but was cheaper, with higher deductibles.

My understanding, which I got from friends who left the company and went out on their own, individual plans are much more expensive, than group plans. That's not taking into consideration the Exchanges under O'care.

Since retiring to keep my wife under insurance I kept the Choice plan, provided by the company, for her. Which is paid by me.

If you don't get a suitable answer, you might consider PM'ing "Hammer" he lives in Houston.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

I pay $209 in my late 50s for a $10k deductible at Medishare which is less than my 2010 pre-ObamaCare Aetna premium (the plan I liked and could not keep). Comes with a great PPO Provider Network and carrier discounted physician rates. So I get the insurance carrier negotiated discount on my $10k deductible. The premium isn't tax deductible because it's not insurance but this type of plan comes with a blessing instead. It's exempt from ObamaCare and helps you avoid the penalty tax.

Larry Burkett, the late founder of Christian Financial Concepts was a fan of Christian Medical Cost Sharing. He would say: "There's a blessing attached to helping another Christian in need. Today we abdicate those blessings to insurance carriers. That's why the tallest buildings in any major city belong to insurance carriers. "

Keep the blessing.

It's not insurance. And can't be used like insurance. Most issues people have had with these types of plans comes from non-Christian physician providers. So what, so sorry Ashak Shamir and Budda Budda Gollie I'll just be moving on, thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by HeritageDoc View Post
    I pay $209 in my late 50s for a $10k deductible at Medishare which is less than my 2010 pre-ObamaCare Aetna premium (the plan I liked and could not keep). Comes with a great PPO Provider Network and carrier discounted physician rates. So I get the insurance carrier negotiated discount on my $10k deductible. The premium isn't tax deductible because it's not insurance but this type of plan comes with a blessing instead. It's exempt from ObamaCare and helps you avoid the penalty tax.

Larry Burkett, the late founder of Christian Financial Concepts was a fan of Christian Medical Cost Sharing. He would say: "There's a blessing attached to helping another Christian in need. Today we abdicate those blessings to insurance carriers. That's why the tallest buildings in any major city belong to insurance carriers. "

Keep the blessing.

It's not insurance. And can't be used like insurance. Most issues people have had with these types of plans comes from non-Christian physician providers. So what, so sorry Ashak Shamir and Budda Budda Gollie I'll just be moving on, thank you very much.
    I talked to Liberty medi-share on Friday. I read some of the reviews, and they take a long time to reimburse us (60-days or longer) I did a brief scan over the Medi-Share stuff, and will be contacting them tomorrow. My wife also found a group called Christian Healthcare Ministries. i will be calling them tomorrow as well. We are both pretty healthy for mid-50's adults. For what I would be paying for the cheapest HSA plan for just my wife and myself we could be self insured. The cheapest HSA plan is 1,500.00 a month for just my wife and I.

The more I look at the Medi-Share option, the more I like it. I don't care about the tax deduction, I can get other deductions elsewhere.

Should I sign up with these guys?

Calvinist Health Insurance Company Declares All Conditions Pre-Existing
    Satire

http://babylonbee.com/news/calvinist...-pre-existing/
    Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium.
    I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery.

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.”
    Gandalf the Grey

People with ethics have little use for the state. Conversely, the state has little use for people with ethics.

My Disqus channel:

https://disqus.com/by/PierreBezukhov1812/

Folks, before you sign up with anyone, first make sure that the doctors and hospital that you want to use accept your insurance plan.

The older I get, the more I realize that going to the "wrong" doctor or hospital could have a huge impact on whether I get better or messed up for the rest of my life.

There are a lot of quacks out there, as well as a lot of really bad hospitals. Keep that in the front of your mind as you do your research.