Thread: Hydrolyzed collagen for Border Collies?

Default Hydrolyzed collagen for Border Collies?

I know there's a lot of stuff that BCs can't have that isn't bad for other dogs.

A few months back, I had Molly's hips e-rayed and she has hip dysplasia.
    It's not yet affecting her.

But, I'm looking at all ways to prolong her time until it does.

We do give her glucosamine with chondroitin.

I was reading that hydrolyzed collagen is being touted as an aid in joint health and cartilage health.
    In humans.

Dysplasia isn't the same thing.
    Will it harm her in any way.
    Might it, possibly, do her any good?

If it wouldn't harm her, I would give it to her on the (slim) chance it may help

Thank you
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

There is basically no science on this stuff, so there's no good answer. It is just amino acids derived from collagen, so it is probably safe. Dogs would naturally eat a lot of collagen rich foods and the same kind of process would take place under acid digestion in the stomach.

Also, there is almost no evidence showing that glucosamine chondroitin has any effect on hip dysplasia or that it is safe for that matter. It annoys me that my vet offers this stuff, which is not well supported by science. Even he admits this and then offers you a $60 bottle of pills.

I give the dogs more raw bones, which is also not well studied, but at least approximates a "natural" diet that might help with the deficiencies in commercial dog food.

In short, there's no right answer.

Didn't know 'bout such back when my Annie first came to me and much to my ... displeasure, was not made aware she would be susceptible to this condition because of her breeding.

It's a very unpleasant experience to watch such develop, at first I was unaware, she'd slip and stumble and I'd think, "what's wrong with you dog?". She'd regain her stability and off she'd go chasing what ever she'd been chasing but got away. Because she'd recovered and resumed her chase I considered she was a bit clumsy.

One day I heard her cry out, I looked to see and she was lying on her belly in a puddle of her own urine. Not knowing, I expressed my displeasure with her. She attempted to struggle to her feet but due to the pain and wet feet could not get any traction, when she was nearly up her strength would fail and she'd fall again.

Now knowing there was a problem I went to her and placed my hands beneath her abdomen just in front of her hip joints. I gently lifted her till her feet just touched the floor, she looked back at me, let out a "woof" and off she trots to the outdoors. ????

I've since discovered that MSM https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylsulfonylmethane (fair utilage), Turmeric, Borax (again fair utilage) https://www.earthclinic.com/pets/borax-for-dogs.html. and sulfur (again) http://www.petremedycharts.com/Learn...meopathic.html all would have benefited her and with proper application she might still be here with me today.

O.W.

Thank you both for your input.
    I will check out those links.

Dissimulo, I know that glucosamine isn't for hip dysplasia.
    None of this is vet prescribed.

We had considered breeding Molly and decided to check this first.
    Vet said it's rare in Border Collies when I requested the x-ray.

It's not severe but medium.

Obviously, we spayed her when that was found.
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner