Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trail Cameras Make Scouting Easy....And Fun!

Default Trail Cameras Make Scouting Easy....And Fun!

http://www.ntxe-news.com/artman/publ...e_108166.shtml

Trail cameras make scouting easy...and fun!

I won’t kid you; one of the more exciting aspects of my scouting for game occurs the instance I plug the SD card from my trail camera into the card reader or my computer and begin looking at the images captured from the remote locations of the area where I’m hunting. I have absolutely no idea of the images my cameras might have recorded while strapped to that tree way back in the woods.

Through the years, while reviewing trail camera photos, I’ve discovered some very interesting images. Whatever walks or flies in front of the camera is photographed and I have pictures of everything from bobcats to great horned owls and even a human intruder or two that crossed over onto posted property.

Most of today’s state-of-the-art trail cameras offer options for either still photos or video and I am a big proponent of using both modes, depending upon just what I am attempting to accomplish. While many hunters set their trail cameras only around feeders, I often set mine around signs such as game trails, buck rubs and scrapes or possibly a remote pond, creek or water hole with wild hog sign. I’ve found video mode best in these situations. The video mode triggers the instant the animal/animals approach and continues running for a pre determined time. This usually gives enough time to really study the animal observed.

My favorite all-around trail camera is the Mirage 16 Lightsout by Wildgame Innovations. These cameras are mid-ranged in price but with a half-second trigger time and 60 foot sensor range, they do a great job of scouting day and night while I am back at work writing article or recording my radio programs. I keep my cameras set for high resolution just in case they capture an image of “print” quality. With 16 MP, these cameras are actually higher in resolution that the camera I use in my work taking wildlife pictures. I’ve actually used trail camera images in magazine and newspaper articles.
    Trail cameras are very useful tools for patterning game. Luke has found his cameras by Wildgame Innovations to be rugged and dependable. This camera is set on a trail that deer have been using on a daily basis. (photo by Luke Clayton)

While these crystal clear images are not really necessary for observing game movements, there is absolutely no reason not to take advantage of today’s technology and enjoy great photographs, even though a machine automatically triggered the shutter!

Technology has come a long, long way since I put my first trail camera to work several decades ago. A company in Louisiana, I believe, sent me a 35 mm film trail camera to test and at the time, I thought it to be the epitome of cutting edge technology. I remember pulling the roll of film and waiting a couple of days to get the pictures developed. As I remember, this prototype “film” camera came with a pretty hefty price tag, comparable to what today’s awesome digital cameras cost and, that’s factoring in the gigantic cost of living increases since the early eighties.

While I’ve found the video mode best to capture wildlife that is on the move; deer working scrapes or rubs or wild hogs moving down a trail or around water, the camera or “still” mode is best used around feeders. Game usually stays around a feeder or feed station for several minutes. In these situations, I’ve found it best to adjust the timer setting so that the camera triggers every few seconds rather than one frame per second.

While trail cameras have become a great aid in scouting for deer and other wildlife, nothing takes the place of the age old art of “reading sign.” Unless a hunter monitors only the area around his feeder with a trail camera, being able to read the signs of wildlife is still very important when it comes to locating a place one wishes to monitor. A trip to the patch of woods I hunt last week is a good case in point. I have a spot in a little patch of red oaks where I “hand bait” deer and hogs by scattering corn. My camera that monitors the area has witnessed only hogs for the past several months.

About eighty yards from this spot, I noticed a buck rub line, probably made recently by one or possibly more bucks rubbing velvet from their antlers. I put a trail camera alongside this trail and the next day, captured the image of a young six pointer and a mature eight, still running together as they often do during early bow season.

For reasons unknown to me, these whitetails are not “hitting” my corn nor the acorns under the red oaks near my feeding spot, possibly it’s because of the heavy wild hog activity in the area. Regardless, I now have a ladder stand situated within 25 yards of this new trail that I discovered. Without my game camera showing almost daily use of the trail by the deer, I would have never known to set up a new spot to hunt!

Yep, I don’t think I could make it any more without my trail cameras! Knowing the game is there is a great confidence builder which really helps keep me on stand for extended periods!

Listen to “Outdoors with Luke Clayton and Friends” on radio stations from Nebraska to Texas on weekends or anytime online at www.catfishradio.com

Psalms 13:6
    "I will sing unto the Lord,
    because he hath dealt bountifully with me".

I got one on a tree in the back yard.

Neighbor did some dozier work behind the house and I asked if I could plant it in some throw and grow.

While waiting for the throw and grow to come up, I checked most everyday. Fresh deer sign most everyday. It was pretty dry so it took over a week to come up.

Even took some muscadines ( 4 Walmart bags full) and poured them out. They ate them all with in a day or two, but spit the skins out.

Got some deer cocaine and borrowed the trail cam, and set it up. Haven't seen a deer since.

I was worried that the trail cam was broke, so got in front of it and jumped around. It's working.

So I'm not sure if I want to put one out where I hunt. It might scare the deer off.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    .... so got in front of it and jumped around. It's working.
    Gettin 'em to jump around is the key ....

O.W.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde View Post

O.W.
    Aaaaaaaa,

May have to run some electric wire around out there, then.

Hot feet! Hot Feet!

LOL
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

There is a script in their code to omit bigfoot images.
    .........against all enemies, foreign and domestic

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde View Post

O.W.
    I think you may be right.

Near bed time, I take Species 1313 (most people think he's a dog, but I know better) on a nightly walk around the perimeter of the yard. This, so he will use the bathroom. Got to doing that when he was, a ahem, "a puppy" because if you just picked him up, and took him outside and set him down, he would just stare at you.

So I started taking a gun, and flashlight, on what we (me and species 1313) call our nightly perimeter check.

Our little country road is a direct line from our little community in a dry county, to the nearest store on the other side of the line, and sell beer. They will go buy their beer, which is cool, then drink it on the way back, stopping along the way doing their business, and it makes for the beginnings of trouble, when they start getting wild minded and brave.

It doesn't happen very often, but for species 1313's peace of mind, I carry the gun and flashlight, just in case.

Well, we were out a couple of nights ago, making the rounds, and an owl flew right in front of the porch, in the light of the yard light, and I could see it. Very cool. Species 1313, who doesn't have any wings, thought he would try and catch it.

As I was scanning my flashlight around, "What was that?" Put it back and there stood a big ol' doe.

'Bout that time species 1313 came flying back around in the back yard and he saw it. Off he went, as far as the back fence anyway. Back and forth he went, huffing and blowing.

Checked the trail cam the next morning and the count had gone up by 3. Checked a couple of days later (I check everyday, but....) the count had gone up by 3 again.

Sort of afraid to check and see. I would be so disappointed if nothing but the weeds moving, was on it. Or some jerk jumping up and down triggering my camera.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Well, couldn't help myself had to have a look.

Most was just weeds moving in the wind. BUT......

.....a young prong horn (4 points) buck came through one night. He would be illegal to take. Not because of number of points but rather the shape, they went straight up. Need to be 13" main beam, and/or 10" spread.

Fun to watch though.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Have tried several through the years, Browning seems to last better than any others.

Easier to program too.
    .........against all enemies, foreign and domestic

I use them for all kinds of purposes, mainly deer hunting, seeing what's around, what I can bring in, time of day or night, etc... I also set them up when I'm leaving the state for a period of time. Nice to know I have a visual if something goes awry..... has not happened yet, which means the odds are always getting worse....

They have a place in the prepper world as well, for the same reasonings. These days fifty bucks buys a good camera, or you can spend more and have one that triggers your phone with an instant feedback of what just came in..... with good horns, that feature pays for itself quickly in exhileration alone...
    Educate others to grow our base of informed citizens, it's tyranny. Spread the Gospel.

Prepare wisely individually. An army runs on it's stomach.

Network with those who prepare wisely and take advantage of the strength in numbers and the economy of scale.

Then, when the curtains come down and the truth is evident to an informed citizenry, we unite and fight the new world order.