Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Salt Lake Police Officer fired after U of U Nurse Wubbels incident

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories, Former USA

I predict that the firing is the end of any threat of (criminal) prosecution Payne might've been worried about.

Almost assuredly, Oscar is right that any civil suit that might ensue will be filed against the municipality rather than the lawless thugs who have now (almost assuredly) gotten away with their thuggery. Lest anyone misunderstand, I hold the badged standers-by just as thuggish as I hold Payne, and believe that they are just as criminally culpable as Payne is.

I usually try to avoid quoting myself to make my point(s), but there's no reason for me to type the following all over again using different words:

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    So Salt Lake County prosecutor's office is asking the FBI to investigate both Payne and any officers who failed to stop his illegal actions for deprivation of rights under color of authority (Title 18 U.S.C. Section 242). I emphasize "County" to highlight that it's not Payne's own command, or the city's DA office seeking an investigation into civil rights violations, it's the County. Not a fan of WaPo, but it came up first in my search after hearing a teaser-preview of a segment coming up on FOX that I wasn't around to hear when the full story aired. The search returned a bunch of results, but pretty sure most, if not all, are sourced either by WaPo or the same people WaPo relied on. Here's a quote from the County's prosecutor's office:

Prosecutors in Utah’s Salt Lake County have asked the FBI to join a criminal probe into the violent arrest of a local nurse who was manhandled by a detective and shoved screaming into a squad car as she tried to protect the legal rights of a patient.

In a letter made public Thursday, District Attorney Sim Gill called on FBI agents to investigate whether the arresting officer or anyone else in the chain of command violated nurse Alex Wubbels’s civil rights or broke other laws during the July 26 incident....

....Gill’s office is conducting its own criminal probe but needs the FBI’s help to look into criminal civil rights violations, which fall under federal law.

“In order to be thorough, and given the gravity of the rights potentially implicated, all issues must be completely examined to restore the public trust currently compromised by the actions depicted in the publicly released video recordings of the incident,” Gill wrote. “Our community and its citizens deserve nothing less.”
    Please allow me to give my take on this, especially the last paragraph I pasted there:

"In order to establish the pretense of being thorough, given that we in the County offices rarely, if ever, cross the Thin Blue Line, all issues must be completely examined to figure out how best to word our and the FBI's joint final report exonerating Detective Jeff Payne from facing deprivation of civil rights under color of authority charges. Our community and its citizens have learned to expect nothing more, and most of those citizens know in their hearts that Detective Payne was just doing his job the best he could to make it home safely to his family that night."

There ain't gonna be no civil rights charges coming out of this incident.
    And I'll now add that there ain't gonna be no local criminal charges of any kind coming out of this incident either.

Blues

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    I predict that the firing is the end of any threat of (criminal) prosecution Payne might've been worried about.

Almost assuredly, Oscar is right that any civil suit that might ensue will be filed against the municipality rather than the lawless thugs who have now (almost assuredly) gotten away with their thuggery. Lest anyone misunderstand, I hold the badged standers-by just as thuggish as I hold Payne, and believe that they are just as criminally culpable as Payne is.

I usually try to avoid quoting myself to make my point(s), but there's no reason for me to type the following all over again using different words:

And I'll now add that there ain't gonna be no local criminal charges of any kind coming out of this incident either.

Blues
    Sadly, I fear you are more than likely right in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
    ... for assault, false imprisonment, intimidation?

Well I agree ... he should be imprisoned for the next 30 years of his life.

He didn't make a "bad decision", he acted on his natural punk thug character. He wasn't under duress which in and of itself is no excuse ... there is no excuse, he's a pos and used his badge as a weapon.

O.W.
    So 30 years is not a "cruel and unusual" punishment for cuffing and stuffing a woman into the back of a patrol car?

Man, what would you do to him had he actually had the temerity to actually take her in and book her, Execution at daybreak?

Not saying he was right, but damn, some of you people are as bad as those you rail against.

She still has full rights to sue for civil violations, matter of fact, this bolsters her civil case.

Quote Originally Posted by PatDaly View Post
    So 30 years is not a "cruel and unusual" punishment for cuffing and stuffing a woman into the back of a patrol car?

Man, what would you do to him had he actually had the temerity to actually take her in and book her, Execution at daybreak?

Not saying he was right, but damn, some of you people are as bad as those you rail against.

She still has full rights to sue for civil violations, matter of fact, this bolsters her civil case.
    This is the same BS you pulled in the first thread about this thug. "Lynching" and all that happy horsesh!t. He had zero legal reason to put a finger on her, much less to kidnap her, move her from friends and co-workers where she had some minor semblance of a feeling of security and safety. I know that you think no cop ever kidnapped a person as long as he/she was in uniform, but you also don't believe that Title 18 U.S.C Section 242 applies to this badged thug's (or apparently any others') actions which specifically mentions kidnapping as one of the offenses the code section was written to protect citizens against "...under color of authority."

It's this precise kind of nonsense that forced me to conclude, after many weeks of resisting the temptation to knee-jerk into it, that you are a statist of the first order. You literally can't seem to help yourself from demonizing those who call only for criminal accountability for the crimes that Payne committed on that day back in July. Instead, you wish for the citizens of the jurisdiction he already failed to protect to be responsible for footin' the bill for any civil suit that may or may not ensue from his criminal actions. Your thin blue line is showing.... again.... still.

Blues

.... Not saying he was right
    No one in their right fvc&ing mind could begin to think that he was.

He has a sworn duty to society, swore an oath ... and he violated it! Is this his first? All things considered highly unlikely.

This lady wasn't trying to antagonize this pos, she was performing her duty in protecting the patient and the hospital by following procedure that had been purposely established by the hospital and law enforcement to prevent "problems".

This pos was implementing physical violence and intimidation against her to coerce her to violate this policing in attempt to cover their asses for their violation of policy regarding the high speed chase in which an innocent victim was about to be scapegoated.

Execution at dawn? No, he needs to suffer ... were that my wife or my daughter, that pos would be begging for for termination!

O.W.

Boy, I am glad the Constitution is so highly revered around here.................

Boy, I am glad the Constitution is so highly revered around here.................

Are you kidding?

This comment of yours, here and now, as it relates to the subject at hand is well beyond absurd.

What's wrong with you?

O.W.

Are you kidding?

This comment of yours, here and now, as it relates to the subject at hand is well beyond absurd.

What's wrong with you?

O.W.
    I was wondering this also but just quietly left the thread.........

Are you kidding?

What's wrong with you?

O.W.
    I know it was a rhetorical question, but it's the same thing that's wrong with the overwhelming majority of cops, both past and present. They think they have special rights to abuse and brutalize people for any or no reason at all, and they extend that thought to anyone and everyone who is now, or has ever, donned the costume and operate(d) under the same mistaken belief. They think that calling for civil penalties (to be paid by taxpayers) absolves them of the responsibility to take the right(eous) and proper position that any cop who commits a crime, should be held criminally accountable for that/those crimes, especially if/when they commit those crimes while in uniform under color of authority that the Constitution doesn't grant them. Apparently, that part of the Constitution is not important at all to Statist PatDaly. Only cops getting away with crimes is important to him.

That's what's wrong with Pat.

Blues

And the need to draw blood from the victim ... highly suspect.

O.W.