Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: The King James Bible Defended

Quote Originally Posted by dmatic View Post
    That is a great point, Wiskey! In my younger days, I first read Fossilized Customs, I think, by Lew White. Later I read "Come out of her My People" by Koster. Liked them both.
    Not really a fan of those guys work and I don't defend White for his rip off. But they did achieve some change, but imo, it's a harsh mix of good and bad. Hopefully the remainders of the Hebrew roots movement will overcome it and outgrow their need for Lew White and company.
    But what weapons can you use to dispossess someone who will not accept anything except Holy Scripture interpreted according to his own rules?...Where Lutheranism reigns, learning dies. They seek only two things: good pay and a wife. The gospel offers them the rest — that is, the power of living as they please.

I understand now how Arius and Tertullian and Wickliff were driven into schism by malicious clergy and wicked monks.

(Erasmus regarding Luther and the church, 1527, 1529)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiskey Reb View Post
    ....which highlights an important point. The KJV is basically a word for word copy of a bible translated by one man. Same as all the others given nefarious repute as such.
    The translation of the King James Version of the Bible was commissioned by King James, but the actual translating was done by committees which were made up of about sixty scholars.

From "King James Bible Translators":

They approached the task of translation with humility, understanding they were standing on the shoulders of giants like William Tyndale. Believers all, the Translators, according to Smith "craved the assistance of God's Spirit by prayer" as they proceeded in their work.
    http://kingjamesbibletranslators.org/bios/
    Pastor Guest

Free E- Book!

"Steps Toward the Mark of the Beast"
    The Christian's Guide to the How and Why of
    the Coming Cashless/RFID Economic System

Quote Originally Posted by Pastor Guest View Post
    The translation of the King James Version of the Bible was commissioned by King James, but the actual translating was done by committees which were made up of about sixty scholars.

From "King James Bible Translators":

http://kingjamesbibletranslators.org/bios/
    And they basically recopied Tyndale with some revisions....

Committees have continued to revise and republish other versions as well. What makes the KJV committee superior to any other? The fact that they did it first?

Interestingly as well, some of the revisions of Tyndales work by the KJV committee are the very same ones other modern translations are condemned by KJV worshippers as getting it wrong/different.
    But what weapons can you use to dispossess someone who will not accept anything except Holy Scripture interpreted according to his own rules?...Where Lutheranism reigns, learning dies. They seek only two things: good pay and a wife. The gospel offers them the rest — that is, the power of living as they please.

I understand now how Arius and Tertullian and Wickliff were driven into schism by malicious clergy and wicked monks.

And they basically recopied Tyndale with some revisions....
    The committees which translated the KJV translated and examined every word. They worked about seven years to translate the Scriptures into English. When they were done, about 80% of the words in the Tyndale and KJV Bibles were translated into the same English words. This does not mean that the translators of the KJV "recopied" Tyndale. It means Tyndale did a good job with his translation and the KJV translators improved the translation of the Scripture by their work.
    Pastor Guest

Free E- Book!

"Steps Toward the Mark of the Beast"
    The Christian's Guide to the How and Why of
    the Coming Cashless/RFID Economic System

Not really a fan of those guys work and I don't defend White for his rip off. But they did achieve some change, but imo, it's a harsh mix of good and bad. Hopefully the remainders of the Hebrew roots movement will overcome it and outgrow their need for Lew White and company.
    I was grateful to CaryC for his research, as I was unaware. Don't defend White, either, if the allegations are true. But, I did enjoy his book way back when. Also, am not aware of Hebrew roots movement's dependence on Lew White. Thanks, Wiskey. As it relates to The Scriptures, however, do you think it to be a good version?

Quote Originally Posted by Pastor Guest View Post
    The committees which translated the KJV translated and examined every word. They worked about seven years to translate the Scriptures into English. When they were done, about 80% of the words in the Tyndale and KJV Bibles were translated into the same English words. This does not mean that the translators of the KJV "recopied" Tyndale. It means Tyndale did a good job with his translation and the KJV translators improved the translation of the Scripture by their work.
    And the KJV committee should bear no shame for basically modifying Tyndales work. But to over glorify what they did is as bad as minimizing it. They possessed what they believed to be better information than Tyndale, resulting in a few deviations. But now that scholars have an unprecedented amount of information, as well as education, greater than the KJV committee could have dreamed of possessing, their translations are viewed by KJV worshippers as inferior, and even apostate, simply because they are truer to what is known of the original than the KJV translators.

In order to justify their translator worship, they villify the Alexandrian text as fraudulent, when any honest scholar can tell them that not only is the Alexandrian text an absolutely necessary body for legitimizing the bible as historically unadultered, but were it not for Alexandrian scholars who argued for the deity of Jesus, church doctrine would have looked very different in that regard. And if they view the Alexandrian school as being heretical, then they should have a new look at their own accepted doctrines which were influenced by them. KJV worshippers have simply picked a fight in order to be rigid in their dogma. It is both unnecessary and harmful to the church.

While I have the 1611 as well as other KJV, I also have Tyndales new testament, Iverson norman Greek new testament, Douay Reams, ESV, NASB, The Scriptures, Complete Jewish Bible, JPS Tanakh, and Stones Tanakh.

Basically, those who rely on KJV only utilize comspiracy theories to villify the rest, while using rose colored glasses to view the making of KJV. What people are lookng for is an absosulely perfect bible translation to call G-d's word. If one thinks they have it in the KJV, well, more power to them. In my view, that is a purely faith decision in the sense that there is no overwhelmimg evidence to support the view. Basically, they have complete faith that G-d preserved His word through king James' efforts and a few dozen men who lived in the early 1600's.
    Last edited by Wiskey Reb; 11-13-2017 at 09:41 AM.

. As it relates to The Scriptures, however, do you think it to be a good version?
    I have it as a reference resource. I don't use it for study.

Also, am not aware of Hebrew roots movement's dependence on Lew White.
    Dependence on Lew White? What is that all about? I've known Lew for many years, and we butt heads quite often on many issues to this day, but we remain friends. Lew has provided our prison ministry with literally 1000's of Fossilized Customs AT COST as well as many free donations. That little book (much bigger these days) has helped open the eyes of so many in all walks of life to the deceptions of mainstream Christianity. It has been a powerful tool; and remains such to this day. Kosters work also has been used in the same way, Todd Bennetts 'Walk in the Light' series as well...
    "The one who says he stays in Him is indebted to walk, even as He walked." 1Jn 2:6

Without Torah, His walk is impossible - it's Rome's walk without Torah.

I didn't use the word dependence....

The King James is very special to me because it was the Bible of my forefathers. When the great American
    wilderness was settled, pioneer families had few books...sometimes only one book, the King James Bible,
    from which they taught their children how to read and write and live a righteous Christian life.

For Bible study, I like to use online "Bible Hub" which gives many different translations of a verse on one page,
    keeping in mind, not just word choice but also chapter, verse and punctuation are additions. If I am curious
    about a certain word, I will use Strong's for it's meaning in the original language and how that same word
    has been translated in other verses.

One also must be knowledgeable about ancient history so one can put Bible events in the context of history.

The most important of all... no matter which Bible version one reads... no matter how much one studies...
    unless one has God's inspiration, one will not truly understand God's Word.