Quote Originally Posted by BugoutBear View Post
Hey no worries.

We have multiple friends who have on average around 8-10 kids. Real Eastern European Shtetl salt-of-the-earth types. They all chip in and do chores, babysit as needed, etc. I've taught the middle aged kids how to garden, fish and what local berries and plants are safe to eat. However there are families out there who would rather take what they want by force. A father with a meuling family can be one of the most dangerous threats to anyone with food to eat and supplies to take. Then there's the people who'll be off their meds. <--- there's your screaming zombie horde.

If a large family had all their food/supplies taken they'd be in as much trouble as someone who didn't (or didn't know how) to prepare for an emergency. I have maintained a stash specifically for them in my basement and I also keep a stash for us in their attic.

I have several water sources so that won't be a problem. The reason we drink so much bottled water is because 3 years ago e coli was detected in our cities drinking water and the Water Authority didn't say anything until 3 days later. A lot of people were feeling wonky and they wouldn't even pay the $60 for a new water filter for the refrigerator.

And I also remember the stories my grandmother use to tell me about grown up in Shanghai back in the '20's. I'd ask her all kinds of questions abut how they made it through the day-to-day living. I listened, and I remember. (i.e. weevils are good protein. )
I kind of felt like you did, have other sources of water. Nothing wrong with drinking bottled water. Also nothing wrong with storing bottled water. If for no other reason than the one you mentioned.

We do. Living on the end of the community water line, every break in the water line comes out our faucet. One morning it will be black, the next red, depending on where it broke. You might say we are the first ones to get a boil water notice. So we have a pretty good bit stored, and water filter type stuff, because it will take 3 days to get results back from the state.

A couple of weeks ago, Tupelo got hit with a boil water notice. Population about 40,000 which swells to 100,000 during work hours. Talk about an absolute mess. Water sold out in a couple of hours. And this was going to go on for 3 days. AND if you can believe this, the TV station told everyone the first day to not even take showers, or baths without boiling the water first. Factories had to cut their drinking fountains off, restaurants, couldn't even serve coffee, so they closed. I asked Sherree if she could imagine those folks in Tupelo boiling enough water to take a bath in? They couldn't heat a No. 3 wash tub over an open fire. It would have to be a pot at a time. No brushing teeth unless the water was boiled first. Needless to say Tupelo was gunkey there for a few days.

You had me rolling in the floor, and Sherree gaging on your weevils statement. Even though it's probably true. We have some of them big Texas Grasshoppers come through every now and then.......there she goes again.... gaging. LOL

And also yea, you have to take a hardline even with family. You don't work, you don't eat. Bye. The "we take, we don't bother" line is for the birds. And incoming family needs to have a fast course on situational awareness, and do their part there too.

I think for the most part incoming family members will understand that. However, there be the one or two, who don't, and then they will see a different side. And for different folks there are different situations depending on where they live, among other things.

However, it never hurts to have some stuff on hand. (maybe even weevils LOL)