Thread: Harnessing Memories Wagon Train Passes Through North Texas

Default Harnessing Memories Wagon Train Passes Through North Texas

http://www.ntxe-news.com/artman/publ...e_108447.shtml

Harnessing Memories Wagon Train passes through North Texas

Roxton, Texas -- Michael Cunningham and Darrell Cruse aren't concerned about the latest political storm or a catastrophe on the other side of the globe. They are more concerned about the storm moving in from the west and a catastrophe for them would be a mule coming up lame.
    Cunningham and Cruse are watching the world go by from the seat of their wagons as their two teams of mules make the six-month trek from Tennessee to California.
    courtesy photo
    The men are on a mission to raise awareness of Alzheimer's Disease -- Cunningham lost his mother to Alzheimer's -- but they also seem to be raising awareness of the forgotten pleasures of an era when the populace wasn't whipped into a daily frenzy by major media or the latest Facebook feeds. Finding feed for their animals, a pasture to camp in and safe drinking water is a daily struggle that has been eased by the kindness of strangers along the way.
    "This trip will restore your faith in the American people," Cunningham remarks with the thoughtful air of a cowboy philosopher, "because everyone has been wonderful."
    courtesy photo
    Just for a moment, imagine what it is like to live in a wagon for half a year as you slowly retrace the steps of pioneers that left Tennessee for The Golden State. This two-man wagon train is fortunate to clip off 18-20 miles a day.
    "We don't know anybody," Cruse says of the 2,100-mile trip. "This is just sort of an adventure and we were both at a place in our lives when we could do this."
    Neither wagoner has been on a journey of this epic proportion, but, as the old Texas saying goes, "This ain't their first rodeo." Eighteen years ago, Cunningham organized a wagon train to tour Middle Tennessee en route to Columbia, Tennessee for the annual Mule Days celebration. The wagon train through Middle Tennessee has become an annual spring ritual for Cunningham and Cruse and the event now attracts participants from seven states.
    Proudly flying the colors of Old Glory as well as the State Flag of Tennessee, these wagons are outfitted with comfortable seats as well as automobile tires and propane cook stoves, but there has been no TV for the duo since they hit the road in early September.
    "Don't miss it," Cunningham says softly, with his trademark grin.
    However, these pioneers are packing cell phones; family and friends are checking their progress daily via a GPS app called Life360, real-time GPS tracking technology that enables you to track the exact location of anyone in your personal circle.
    "I used to keep track of my grandkids and now they try and keep up with me," jokes Cruse.
    courtesy photo
    On Tuesday, October 31, the good folks in Tennessee would have tracked Cruse and Cunningham to the ranch of John Carter and Linnie Brister, south of Petty, Texas, where the four mules enjoyed being turned out for a couple of days of peaceful grazing before resuming the journey west. When the temporary hosts had to make their appointed rounds as farriers, they even left their house unlocked so their visitors from The Volunteer State could take a shower.
    "I'm not worried they would steal something," Carter says with a laugh. "Besides, what are they gonna do...make a getaway in a wagon?"
    (L-R) John Carter, Michael Cunningham, Darrell Cruse, Linny Brister
    Another memorable stop in Texas for the Harnessing Memories Wagon Train was DeKalb, birthplace of the late Dan Blocker (better known to the world as Hoss Cartwright) where the "girls" got new shoes.
    courtesy photo
    This wagon train is expected to be back on the road Wednesday when they roll into Honey Grove and then head west down Hwy. 56 to Bonham, Bells, Sherman, Whitesboro and Gainesville before veering southwest towards southern New Mexico.
    Anyone along this route who has a pasture to camp in, a little bit of hay or even just a word of encouragement for a pair of weary travelers can contact Cunningham and Cruse at their Harnessing Memories Wagon Train Facebook page.
    Donations to help raise awareness of Alzheimer's Disease should be mailed to:
    Harnessing Memories Wagon Train
    C/O Bank of Perry County
    Lobelville, TN 37097

Psalms 13:6
    "I will sing unto the Lord,
    because he hath dealt bountifully with me".

Anyone keeping up with these two guy's travels on Facebook? Pretty interesting, so far. They are each traveling in covered wagons pulled by mules. They are traveling from Tennessee to California and are currently near El Paso Texas.

Looks like the mule train made it safely into California and the sons in law of one of the gentlemen brought a truck and gooseneck flatbed trailer from Tennessee to haul the two wagons back.

The mules will be hauled back in the trailer that one of the wives brought out earlier. Happy trails to them. Hope their return trip is a safe one. The journey was for a good cause.

Hope they publish their memoirs.