Thread: Helping The Needy

Default Helping The Needy

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/...-out-food.html

The day we ran out of food

Joshua Rogers and his brother Caleb. (Courtesy of the author)

When I was only 5-years-old, our family hit hard times and we didn’t even have money for groceries. I wasn’t sure exactly what was going on – all I knew was that the cabinets were empty.

On the day we ran out of food, a couple from Main Street Baptist Church in Hattiesburg, Miss., drove up to our house in a big car. We didn’t know them, and we didn’t go to Main Street Baptist (in fact, we weren’t even Baptists).

They popped the trunk and began unloading bag after bag of groceries. I’m pretty sure it was summertime, but it felt like Christmas, especially when I realized they had gotten us Fruit Loops.

I sat down on the couch and began looking over the box like it was a toy. Then after they finished delivering all of the groceries, they left and we ate.
    They popped the trunk and began unloading bag after bag of groceries. I’m pretty sure it was summertime, but it felt like Christmas, especially when I realized they had gotten us Fruit Loops.
    I don’t know how they found out we were in need, and it doesn’t really matter to me. We needed some food, and I’m just thankful that someone listened when the Lord nudged them to come through for us.

When you think about it, we all have the opportunity to be the answer to someone else’s prayers today. Maybe they don’t need groceries, but they need some encouragement, a friend, an invitation, someone to listen.

Maybe they don’t even know what they need – they’re just hurting and need someone like you or me to be present in their lives. Maybe we will be the evidence that Jesus sees them in their hurt and that he deeply cares for them.

So many of us pray that God will use us in a big way. What if he wants to use us in a small way that will be big in someone’s life? Is that enough? If it is, then today is full of opportunities to love Jesus with an unexpected knock on the door, an open trunk and a box of Fruit Loops.

Psalms 13:6
    "I will sing unto the Lord,
    because he hath dealt bountifully with me".

Thank you for this. The need come in all sizes, shapes, colors, ages and situations. You just never know the impact even a kind word will have when the need is great. Definitely listen to that 'nudge'. And while you're at it, please pray for "MRR", if you would. He needs every prayerful breath he can get.
    As an American you have the right to not believe in guns. You also have the right to not believe in God. But if someone is trying to break into your home, or wants to harm you, the first thing you will do is pick up the phone and call someone with a gun. The second thing you will do is pray that they get there in time. ~Don Moore

Praise the Lord!

It is good to help those in need. It is a blessing to do so. It's even better when you 'want' to do it.
    Proverbs 29:2, "...when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn."

Acts 4:12
    "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

Hebrews 13:8
    , "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever."

Revelation 3:11, "Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown."

Matthew 28:20, "...I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."

We need more churches doing this. If your church fails, it's still left up to us Christians to set the example.