Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Casseroles

Quote Originally Posted by Belle View Post
    I don't get to make it as often as I'd like because I just can't bring myself to pay $5 a pound, or more, for cheese. Most of the time, I have a choice of a pound of cheese or 2-3 pounds of meat. Meat always wins. I might try it without the cheese and see how it is. I sure miss having cheese, though.
    Belle, I did it without cheese, and my hubby LOVED it. It is printed and on my keeper list. Thanks again. We just used gravy and butter on it second day and it was still great. AL

Default Grandma's Rice Dish

I got this recipe from 'Taste Of Home' Mag./website, and made it today.

It's simple, and I thought it was very tasty.

Grandma's Rice Dish

SERVINGS: 4
    CATEGORY: Main Dish
    METHOD: Baked
    TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.

Ingredients:

• 1 pound ground beef
    • 1/3 cup chopped onion
    • 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
    • 2 cups cooked long grain rice
    • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
    • 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
    • 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
    • 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
    • 2 teaspoons chili powder
    • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
    • 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
    • 1 tablespoon butter, melted
    Directions:

In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the rice, tomatoes, corn, olives, bacon, chili powder, garlic powder and salt. Bring to a boil; remove from the heat. Add 1 cup of cheese; stir until melted.
    Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Toss bread crumbs with butter; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.

"Blessed are the cracked, for they let light into the world". ~unknown~

Default curried onion casserole

I just finished making this ahead for Tday dinner tomorrow--back by popular demand. Very labor intensive,but it goes perfectly with the standard mashed potatoes, turkey, cranberry relish, etc. Everyone looks forward to it. You can find the Nestle Media Crema in the canned milk section, especially in latin shopping neighborhoods:

Curried Onion Casserole--

10 large yellow onions
    2 bottles beer
    2 sticks butter
    1/4 cup curry powder
    6 slices of bread
    1 small can french fried onions
    4 small cans of Nestle's media crema
    (serves ten people)

Line a large buttered baking dish with sliced bread.

Slice the onions thin, brown them in butter until translucent. (You may need to divide this project into several stages, since no pan is that big) Add curry powder, then beer to cook them down further. Reduce heat to low, add the media crema. Remove from heat and pour entire mixture over the bread slices. Garnish with french fried onions and bake at 350 for one hour. Sides should be bubbling.

We love this casserole around here!

Texas Casserole

1lb ground beef
    1 can cream of celery soup
    1-10oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
    2-15oz cans Ranch Style beans
    1pkg Velveeta Shreds(original)
    tortilla chips

Brown beef; drain if there is a lot of grease but otherwise not necessary. Add soup, tomatoes and beans; bring to boil. Crush(just use your hands) enough chips to line the bottom of a casserole dish(mine is about 10 inches square.) Spoon beef mixture on top of chips; top with Velveeta. Bake at 350 degrees for about 5 to 10 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Remove from oven and let stand about 5 minutes before serving. 4 to 6 servings. Enjoy!

Default Scalloped Ham and Potato Casserole

Very easy and good with a salad for supper. It is a good way to use leftoer ham from the holidays.

2 cups of cubed ham
    8 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup all purpose flour
    2 cups milk
    1 cup Swiss cheese
    Buttered bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350F. In a covered casserole dish, layer half of the ham, half of the potatoes, half of the onion and half of the cheese. Sift half of the flour over this layer. Repeat for second layer. Pour the milk over the casserole and top with buttered bread crumbs. Bake, covered, for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 15 minutes. You may broil for a few seconds more for additional browning, if you like, but WATCH it...

Angel
    "There was one of two things I had a right to – liberty, or death.
    If I could not have one I would have the other; for no man should take me alive."
    Harriet Tubman

"The President eats dirt and excrement for his daily meals, likes it and tries to force it on The States."
    Walt Whitman

"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in time of moral crisis, maintain their neutrality" Dante "The Inferno"

Default Reuben Casserole

A Reuben sandwich in a casserole!!

(2) 27 ounce cans of sauerkraut (or equivalent of homemade)
    1 lb corned beef, thinly sliced
    1 cup 1000 Island dressing
    2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
    5 slices rye bread, lightly buttered on both sides and cubed

Drain the sauerkraut, reserving 3/4 cup of the liquid. Cut the corned beef into bite sized pieces. Combine sauerkraut, reserved liquid, corned beef, 1000 island dressing and Swiss cheese. Pour into a 9x13 baking pan and bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Top with buttered rye bread cubes and bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes until bread cubes are golden brown and crispy.

Serve with French Fries or chips and a nice salad for a warm, filling meal.

Angel
    "There was one of two things I had a right to – liberty, or death.
    If I could not have one I would have the other; for no man should take me alive."
    Harriet Tubman

"The President eats dirt and excrement for his daily meals, likes it and tries to force it on The States."
    Walt Whitman

"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in time of moral crisis, maintain their neutrality" Dante "The Inferno"

Default 1930s Depression Casserole

1t. salt
    8 medium potatoes, peeled
    6 eggs
    1/2 sleeve (2oz) soda crackers, crushed
    Put salt in large pot of water. Boil potatoes in water until tender. Drain an cool. Boil eggs in water for 10 minutes. Cool and peel. Set aside crackers for topping.

Gravy
    3T. butter
    3T flour (heaping)
    2 cans (12 oz) evaportated milk
    2 cans hot water
    1t. salt
    1/2 t. pepper

Melt butter in skillet. Add flour. Stir and brown lightly. Quickly add evaporated milk and stir. Add water. Stir and cook until bubbly. Add salt and pepper. Butter a large casserole dish. SLice 1/3 potatoes and 1/3 eggs and put in dish. Add 1/3 gravy. Do tow more layers. Top with crushed crackers. Bake at 300 degrees F for 45 minutes. Good served cold or reheated.