Thread: Bread Recipes

Default Bread Recipes

This is the place for bread recipes, both sweet and savory.
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

Sweet Rolls - This makes a LARGE batch

2 cups warm water
    2 cups scalded milk
    1 cup oil
    3 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    1 tbsp salt
    7 ½ tsp yeast
    10-12 cups flour

In large mixing bowl dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil, eggs, sugar and salt. Add milk (cool slightly before adding).

Add flour gradually and then turn out on floured board and knead (add flour until no longer sticky) Place back in greased bowl and allow to rise double in size. Punch down and allow to rise again, double size. (this second rise makes the rolls light and airy). Once this has doubled...

Turn out on floured surface and work. Cut pieces with biscuit cutter, (*) arrange in pan, allow to rise again until doubled and then bake 350-375 for about 15 minutes.

***** If I am freezing biscuits....I put the cut biscuit dough on wax paper lined pan, and place in freeze to freeze at this point. Once they are frozen, place in ziplock bag. When you're ready to use, remove from freezer, put in pan and allow to thaw then rise before baking.

Also...at this point instead of biscuits, I sometimes make cinnamon rolls. Just take a piece of dough and roll out 9x13 (or about that), sprinkle with cinnamon, sugar and butter, roll up and cut to make cinnamon rolls, let rise and then bake. DELICIOUS

Now....I am not great about times...so you may want to just watch the rolls baking...I'm thinking about 15 minutes give or take pending on your oven.
    Mom of All Trades... Patent Pending

"Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Benjamin Franklin pen name Richard Saunders

Default Hunza Bread

I was trying to find a recipe for "Asian Full Belly Bread" which I never found. But I did find this recipe:

HUNZA BREAD RECIPE
    Hunza Bread is a delicious, dense, chewy bread that's very nutritious and is almost impervious to spoilage. The following recipe makes a huge batch of approximately 60 (sixty) 2 inch squares, high in protein, vitamins and minerals.
    Keeps weeks at room temperature, even longer in the fridge and indefinitely in the freezer. The recipe for this wonderful bread is as follows: -
    * 4 cups of water
    * 3.5 (three & one half) to 4 pounds of natural buckwheat or millet flour
    * 1.5 (one & one half) cups of canola oil
    * 1.5 (one & one half) cups of natural unrefined sugar
    * 16 ounces of honey
    * 16 ounces of molasses
    * 4 ounces of powdered soya milk (half cup)
    * 1 teaspoon sea salt
    * 1 teaspoon cinnamon
    * 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    * 2 teaspoons baking powder (non aluminium)
    Hunza Bread has a taste that is very satisfying and chewy all on its own, but you may also add if required, apricots, raisins, chopped walnuts, almonds, sliced dates to the above ingredients. Mix ingredients. Grease and lightly flour cooking pan(s). Ideally use baking trays with about 1 inch high sides. Pour batter in pan(s) half an inch thick over the base. Bake at about 300 degrees farenheit (150 C.) for 1 hour. After cooking, dry the bread in the oven for two (2) hours at a very low heat - 90 degrees farenheit (50 C). After it is cooled tip out and cut into approx 2 inch x 2 inch squares. Store it wrapped in cloth in a container.
    You may need to repeat the baking depending on the size of your baking pan, and oven, until all the mixture has been used.
    Hunza Bread is made from natural buckwheat or millet flour. It is rich in phosphorous, potassium, iron, calcium, manganese and other minerals, as nothing has been destroyed in the preparation from the wheat. Thus it contains the essential nourishment of the grain. This is why you must ONLY use natural buckwheat or millet flour to make your own Hunza Bread..... Good luck and good health .. bon appetite

Joyce, that sounds wonderful. I am wondering where I could find natural buckwheat or millet flour. (healthfood store?).