Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upsurge in big earthquakes predicted for 2018 as Earth rotation slows

Default Upsurge in big earthquakes predicted for 2018 as Earth rotation slows

Upsurge in big earthquakes predicted for 2018 as Earth rotation slows

Scientists say number of severe quakes is likely to rise strongly next year because of a periodic slowing of the Earth’s rotation

Robin McKie
    Saturday 18 November 2017 17.00 EST Last modified on Saturday 18 November 2017 17.25 EST

Scientists have warned there could be a big increase in numbers of devastating earthquakes around the world next year. They believe variations in the speed of Earth’s rotation could trigger intense seismic activity, particularly in heavily populated tropical regions.

Although such fluctuations in rotation are small – changing the length of the day by a millisecond – they could still be implicated in the release of vast amounts of underground energy, it is argued.

The link between Earth’s rotation and seismic activity was highlighted last month in a paper by Roger Bilham of the University of Colorado in Boulder and Rebecca Bendick of the University of Montana in Missoula presented at the annual meeting of the Geological Society of America.
    “The correlation between Earth’s rotation and earthquake activity is strong and suggests there is going to be an increase in numbers of intense earthquakes next year,” Bilham told the Observer last week.

In their study, Bilham and Bendick looked at earthquakes of magnitude 7 and greater that had occurred since 1900. “Major earthquakes have been well recorded for more than a century and that gives us a good record to study,” said Bilham.

They found five periods when there had been significantly higher numbers of large earthquakes compared with other times. “In these periods, there were between 25 to 30 intense earthquakes a year,” said Bilham. “The rest of the time the average figure was around 15 major earthquakes a year.”

The researchers searched to find correlations between these periods of intense seismic activity and other factors and discovered that when Earth’s rotation decreased slightly it was followed by periods of increased numbers of intense earthquakes. “The rotation of the Earth does change slightly – by a millisecond a day sometimes – and that can be measured very accurately by atomic clocks,” said Bilham.

It is straightforward. The Earth is offering us a five-year heads-up on future earthquakes
    Roger Bilham of the University of Colorado in Boulder
    Bilham and Bendick found that there had been periods of around five years when Earth’s rotation slowed by such an amount several times over the past century and a half. Crucially, these periods were followed by periods when the numbers of intense earthquakes increased.

“It is straightforward,” said Bilham. “The Earth is offering us a five-year heads-up on future earthquakes.”

This link is particularly important because Earth’s rotation began one of its periodic slowdowns more than four years ago. “The inference is clear,” said Bilham. “Next year we should see a significant increase in numbers of severe earthquakes. We have had it easy this year. So far we have only had about six severe earthquakes. We could easily have 20 a year starting in 2018.”

Exactly why decreases in day length should be linked to earthquakes is unclear although scientists suspect that slight changes in the behaviour of Earth’s core could be causing both effects.

In addition, it is difficult to predict where these extra earthquakes will occur – although Bilham said they found that most of the intense earthquakes that responded to changes in day length seemed to occur near the equator. About one billion people live in the Earth’s tropical regions.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ig-earthquakes
    Europe used to have empires. They were run by emperors.
    Then we had kingdoms. They were run by kings.
    Now we have countries...

Quote Originally Posted by merovingian View Post

Scientists say number of severe quakes is likely to rise strongly next year because of a periodic slowing of the Earth’s rotation

Scientists have warned there could be a big increase in numbers of devastating earthquakes around the world next year. They believe variations in the speed of Earth’s rotation could trigger intense seismic activity,

Could it be that the "seismic activity" is causing the Earth's rotation speed to slightly, briefly decrease?

O.W.

I'm wondering if I will weight less next year.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
    Could it be that the "seismic activity" is causing the Earth's rotation speed to slightly, briefly decrease?

O.W.
    Interesting perspective OW! As always...

Isaiah 24:20The earth shall reel to and fro like a drunkard, and shall be removed like a cottage; and the transgression thereof shall be heavy upon it; and it shall fall, and not rise again.
    Revelation 14:7
    Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.
    "not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.”

It's just more signs of the times we are now living in. EQ's in divers places, increasing in frequency and magnitude, until our Lord's return.

Its just more of the same the earth is ever changing. Nothing more, nothing less. Even the moon is going away from the earth at the rate of a little over 1.5 inches a year. ALL NORMAL, and in the name of a ever changing universe. But all this doom and gloom is nothing but fodder for those that just love such stuff on a daily basis. All normal. But good for those that can't go a day without some gloom in their lives I guess. The end of the world coming soon has been made by crackpots for ages, nothing new about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppalong
    Its just more of the same the earth is ever changing. Nothing more, nothing less. Even the moon is going away from the earth at the rate of a little over 1.5 inches a year. ALL NORMAL, and in the name of a ever changing universe. But all this doom and gloom is nothing but fodder for those that just love such stuff on a daily basis. All normal. But good for those that can't go a day without some gloom in their lives I guess. The end of the world coming soon has been made by crackpots for ages, nothing new about that.
    You just don't know when to shut up do you? The stupidity of your comments tells me that you lack in any type of understanding of God's word. Yes, this is normal according to God's design for the end of this age, before his return. You can call me a "crackpot" if you wish. Matters not to me. I'll believe the Bible over anything stupid you might have to say.

Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

2 Peter 3:3Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.5For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:
    6Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:
    7But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.