Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3442434445 LastLast

Thread: Trump to declare jerusalem israel capital on 12/6/17

Exclamation The covenant of many

Dermer ‘confident’ Trump peace plan will incorporate Arab states
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...TwyCzWrgO7HcHc
    Revelation 14:7
    Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.
    "not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.”

I hope this doesn't get anyone sad.

Paraguay Universally Praised for Creating Mideast Peace by Moving Embassy
    Satire

https://www.themideastbeast.com/para...oving-embassy/
    Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium.
    I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery.

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.”
    Gandalf the Grey

People with ethics have little use for the state. Conversely, the state has little use for people with ethics.

My Disqus channel:

https://disqus.com/by/PierreBezukhov1812/

Exclamation

Trump peace team in “pre-launch” phase, completing economic package
    The Jerusalem Post - 4 hours ago
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Whh_Gf&ampcf=1
    Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

US says Palestine ‘not a state,’ withdraws from Vienna Convention’s ‘optional protocol’

The US is withdrawing from the "optional protocol" in the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, John Bolton has confirmed. He said it follows a case brought by Palestine, challenging the US embassy's move to Jerusalem.
    "I am announcing that the president has decided that the United States will withdraw from the optional protocol and dispute resolution to the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations," Bolton said.

"This is in connection with a case brought by the so-called state of Palestine, naming the United States as the defendant, challenging our move of our embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem."

The decision will see the US opting out of having to attend the International Court of Justice in the case of disputes, as outlined in Article I of the "Optional Protocol Concerning the Compulsory Settlement of Disputes."

"Disputes arising out of the interpretation or application of the Convention shall lie within the compulsory jurisdiction of the International Court of Justice and may accordingly be brought before the Court by an application made by any party to the dispute being a Party to the present Protocol," Article I states.

The US is not the only country to deny acknowledgment of Palestine as a state. Its Western European allies also refrain from doing so, along with Australia and Canada. However, most countries in South America, Asia, and Africa do, along with the majority of Eastern Europe.

The ICJ and the US previously butted heads in July, when Iran filed a complaint against Washington with the court. That complaint accused Washington of breaching the Treaty of Amity, Economic Relations, and Consular Rights by pulling out of the Iran nuclear deal.

Earlier on Wednesday, the court ordered the US to lift sanctions on Iran which are linked to humanitarian goods and civil aviation. The US responded by pulling out of the Treaty of Amity and from the protocol involving the ICJ. https://www.rt.com/usa/440247-us-pal...tion-protocol/

Lightbulb

Hmmmmm
    AFP news agency
    AFP news agency
    @AFP
    #BREAKING King Abdullah II says Jordan has notified Israel that it wants to reclaim territories leased under 1994 peace deal
    9:07 AM · Oct 21, 2018

treaty of peace between the state of israel and the hashemite kingdom of jordan
    PDFUnited Nations › peacemaker › sites › files
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1540128043549

Quote Originally Posted by Lilbitsnana View Post
    more on the Jordan Israel thing

Barak Ravid
    ‏Verified account @BarakRavid
    8h8 hours ago

BREAKING: Jordan updated Israel it has decided to annul parts of the peace treaty with Israel, King Abdullah says

Michael A. Horowitz
    ‏Verified account @michaelh992
    8h8 hours ago

#Breaking Jordan will terminate the al-Baqurah and al-Ghamr annexes (related to administrative border between the West Bank and Jordan) of its peace treaty with #Israel

Michael A. Horowitz
    8h8 hours ago

Under the 1994 the Baqurah and al-Ghamr area, while formally under Jordanian sovereignity are at the disposal of Israeli farmers #Jordan #Israel

Michael A. Horowitz
    8h8 hours ago

This is a small technical issue, with Jordan being required to extend the agreement. But I doubt it is about this, otherwise, the Jordanian King would not bother to announce it. Most likely related to the Israeli-Palestinian issue.

Michael A. Horowitz
    8h8 hours ago

Michael A. Horowitz Retweeted عبدالله بن الحسين

Jordanian King for reference: "Our decision is to terminate the Baqura and Ghumar annexes from the [1994] peace treaty out of our keenness to take all decisions that would serve Jordan and Jordanians"

Michael A.
    Here is an update on Jordan Israel treaty

Exclamation

Trump Mideast envoy Greenblatt to visit Israel ahead of peace plan unveiling
    Haaretz - 5 hours ago https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...4OehY-&ampcf=1

Lightbulb

with mideast peace plan, kushner prepares his debut
    Trump's son-in-law will be the public face of his White House peace effort, breaking a two-year habit of working behind the scenes.WASHINGTON – At a standing desk in his cramped, high-ceilinged West Wing office, US President Donald Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser has labored for nearly two years over a detailed plan for peace in the Middle East. Along the way he has granted a mere handful of interviews, none of which have provided much in substance of a plan that has, up until now, remained the administration’s most closely guarded secret.

But we’re about to see a lot more of Jared Kushner. As he puts the finishing touches on a project he hopes to be his crowning achievement in government, Kushner is preparing to sell it to the public.State Department sources tell The Jerusalem Post that Kushner recently visited Foggy Bottom to begin preparing for a more public role centered on the plan. Moving into the spotlight would be a relatively new format for the prodigal son-in-law, who has rarely spoken in public since entering the White House. While Trump is likely to announce the plan in a formal speech, Kushner is expected, from that point on, to serve as the public face of the peace effort.

White House officials insist the administration has not settled on a strategic communications strategy for the roll out. But Kushner has beefed up his communications staff in recent weeks with outside hires and State Department veterans as he prepares for the plan’s release. He is anticipating intense media interest both in the contents of the plan, as well as its news value as a vehicle to discuss Kushner’s effectiveness as a government official.

Since joining Trump’s administration with no prior background in public service, Kushner has been criticized as being unqualified to lead such a delicate portfolio as Middle East peace. His White House team is well aware that their successful sale of the plan will in part become a public referendum on Kushner himself.

And without full Republican control over Congress, the president is expected to pivot his focus away from legislating to foreign policy – a move that will place greater emphasis on diplomatic efforts, such as the Kushner plan.

The peace team wants to earn buy-in from regional allies, but also convince domestic pundits, columnists and correspondents that the plan is a sincere effort to jump-start meaningful peace talks. Their roll out will therefore include a robust public affairs strategy that highlights what officials claim to be is the comprehensive nature of the plan.Officials say the strategy is to convince outside players that the plan is serious, thus compelling the two parties to directly engage with it. He would like to particularly reassure the Palestinians, who have dismissed the administration’s efforts, since Trump recognized Jerusalem as Israel’s capital last winter.

At the UN General Assembly in New York, Trump said he wanted to release the plan by the end of this calendar year. But fallout from the brutal killing of Jamal Khashoggi, a Saudi dissident and columnist for The Washington Post, may have altered the plans of his peace team, which has configured the plan to build off of a burgeoning alignment between Israel and the Sunni Arab world.

One official told the Post that the success of the plan relies neither on Saudi Arabia nor on Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, in particular. This is despite comments he made before the murder in Istanbul, in which Turkish officials have implicated close aides of the crown prince.

But Jason Greenblatt, the president’s special representative for international negotiations is working daily on the effort alongside Kushner. This week, Greenblatt also acknowledged that improved Israeli ties with Arab nations undergirds the theory of Israeli-Palestinian peace.Jason D. Greenblatt

@jdgreenblatt45

Today Transportation & Intelligence Minister @Israel_Katz is in Oman at an intn’l transportation event. He will present a plan for the construction of a railway btwn Israel, Jordan, Saudi Arabia & the Gulf. Let’s keep the dialogue going. These efforts support our efforts.
    11:23 AM - Nov 5, 2018 “These efforts support our efforts,” Greenblatt wrote on Twitter on Monday, praising Israel’s recent public engagements with Oman and the United Arab Emirates. https://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/With-Mideast-peace-plan-Kushner-prepares-his-debut-571224

Abbas Is Haunted By a 40-Year-Old Peace Plan

Last week, Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas warned the Palestinian Liberation Organization national council that the Palestinian cause was in dire straits. “The enemy plans to have a mini-state in Gaza and autonomy in the West Bank.”

Abbas believes the “enemy” (a term encompassing Israel, Hamas and the Trump administration) is plotting to create an independent Palestinian state in Gaza. This he has sworn to resist. “No [Palestinian] state will be established in Gaza, no [Palestinian] state will be established without Gaza, and no state will be established with temporary borders,” he told the PLO council.

Abbas’s fear is that the new U.S. plan for Mideast peace — what Donald Trump has called the Deal of the Century — is not far from a plan hatched 40 years ago at the Camp David peace talks. But while it was rejected then, it’s not so fanciful now.

At Camp David, Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin presented an autonomy plan for the Palestinians — a framework for quasi-independence in which the Arabs of the occupied territories (“liberated” he would have called them) would be free to elect their own leaders and run their own internal affairs. Israel would remain in charge of overall security and permit Jewish settlement to flourish. The Arab world, opposed to the Camp David process, rejected it; the United Nations Assembly, which stood by the Arab League, seconded the motion. That emboldened the PLO, whose declared goal at the time was the destruction of Israel.

U.S. President Jimmy Carter, who was brokering the peace process, was not a Begin fan. He made it clear that “autonomy” didn’t solve the key problem, which was Palestinian self-determination. Egypt’s President Sadat shrugged off the Palestinian issue and concluded a bilateral peace with Israel that still survives. The plan sunk under its own weight.
    In 1994, Israel and the PLO concluded the Oslo Accords, which envisioned two independent states. That, too, has proved a nonstarter. Oslo was all handshakes and no real decisions. It soon became clear that the distance between the two sides was unbridgeable.
    While futile negotiations continued, the PLO established a quasi-government in the West Bank and Gaza, with its capital in Ramallah. In 2005, Israel decided that occupying Gaza was too much of a burden. It evacuated Jewish settlers and turned it over to the Palestinians. Terror attacks followed, as did elections. In 2006, Hamas won a plurality, sparking a civil war. The PLO was expelled from Gaza.
    Ideologically Hamas is in the same place the PLO was 40 years ago — at war with Israel whose existence it rejects. But in reality, there is a lot of contact between Jerusalem and Gaza, most of it brokered by Egypt. The idea of a Gaza-based state with autonomy for the West Bank is no longer so ludicrous.
    Gaza is small but, if Egypt were to cede it land in northern Sinai (in return for Israeli territory in the Negev) it would be large enough to accommodate its current residents and as well as Palestinian refugees from elsewhere. Gaza is poor but it has the human resources and Mediterranean locale to become, as one of its leaders, Yahya Sinwar recently said, “another Singapore or Dubai.” Gaza is currently ruled by violent anti-Zionist fanatics, but not so long ago President Abbas’s PLO could be fairly described that way.
    And times have changed. Israel is no longer an isolated pariah in the Middle East. The same week that Abbas addressed the PLO national council, Bibi Netanyahu was on a visit to Oman, where the Sultan greeted him warmly and publicly declared the time right to accept the Jewish state as a legitimate neighbor. No mention of the Palestinians. In nearby Abu Dhabi, the Israeli winner of an international judo tournament was serenaded with the Israeli national anthem, Hatikvah, as he took the podium. Once, solidarity with Palestine would have prevented this.
    A demilitarized Gaza-based Palestinian state could provide a solution to one of the world’s most intractable problems. It could offer the Arabs of the West Bank self-determination. Or, if they prefer, Jerusalem could allow them limited self-government. That is pretty much what Begin’s autonomy plan was all about.
    The U.S. hasn’t revealed any details yet about the plan that Mideast envoy Jared Kushner will presumably propose; but Abbas suspects this is the direction of travel. And while Israel has not spoken about Gaza as an independent state, its willingness to negotiate with Hamas, through Egypt and Qatar, looks like a step in that direction.
    It may not be likely that the scenario Abbas dreads will come to pass. But it also isn’t impossible. In today’s Middle East, there are no permanent enemies. https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...as-and-the-plo