Page 51 of 60 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Keeping His Commandments

Quote Originally Posted by somoprepper08 View Post
    Jesus kept the law for us. He was our sacrifice for everything that we could not do. He was/is our mediator between us and God. Are you saying that He wasn't enough?
    No man has been able to "keep the law" completely. None but the man, Jesus. The law was to show us that we needed a Savior.
    "keeping the law", if it was possible, is a good thing. You can try to keep the law if you'd like but when Jesus died on the cross; defeated the devil and took the keys of death, hell and the grave from him; rose again on the 3rd day and then ascended to heaven to be with Father -- He fulfilled the law for you and for me and for 'whosoever' would accept His sacrifice. "It is finished"
    Do whatever you think you need to do to satisfy whatever you think it is. But Jesus is the fulfillment of the law in the flesh.
    Thanks, somoprepper08, No, I am not saying He was not enough! To be in Him, abiding in Him, is to keep the Law. He said that to abide in Him is to keep His commandments, and those who sin, transgressing the commandments, is to be a slave, or servant of sin, and would not abide in the house forever.

Indeed, we need the Savior, because we have all sinned. He did keep the Law, never transgressing it, and He is our model, as Off-Grid rightly says. He fulfilled it by preaching it more fully so that the commands, which are spiritual, effectually penetrate more deeply, into our hearts and thoughts.

There is nothing wrong with His Laws. They express the will of our Father! In the keeping of them is much joy, for Him as well as us! Jesus clearly taught that those who taught that it was OK to break even the least of the commandments, would be called least in the kingdom of heaven. Why would someone do this?

To forty9er's point about faith and Peter's statement about being guarded through faith: faith and faithfulness, indeed are keys. i am re-reading Hebrews, and was struck by verse 2 of chapter 4 where we read: "For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it."

So, why did the people not have faith? According to Romans, faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. The people of Moses' day refused to hear the "Word" of God, choosing to send Moses up to the mountain to hear instead, because they were afraid. Of course, they promised to do all that Moses told them God said, but they refused to hear God for themselves, so they lacked faith upon hearing the gospel! So, they sinned....

The writer of Hebrews was talking about entering the 'rest'. God's Sabbath rest, which I think implied the Promised Land as well as resting from their own 'works', as God did from His. Verse 11 declares: "Let us labour therefore to enter that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief."

By refusing to "hear" God's Law, even today, we will naturally not have the faith to endure to the end....

That's what I'm trying to point out. Do not refuse to hear God's righteous and holy commandments. "Hear", here, also includes keeping them.

Quote Originally Posted by dmatic View Post
    Basically, forty9eer, if we love one another we will be keeping the law.
    Tell me this, which love is greater, to love your neighbor as yourself or to love him as Christ loves us? One love is from the Law and can be attempted in our own strength while the other love can only come from faith and the working of the Holy Spirit in our lives. You want to cling to the Law and the love that it defines while Christ, who supersedes the Law, is calling Christians to live by faith and produce a love which doesn't come from our efforts but is a fruit of the Spirit.

I would have thought you would have learned this by now in your study of Hebrews. Christ is better than the Law.

Quote Originally Posted by Forty9er View Post

Exactly what I would expect from you. You take a prophecy of the future Millennial reign of Christ and try to apply it to today
    LOL! I did no such thing, and you know it! I was responding to "The law was to show us that we needed a Savior" I was merely pointing out the error of that statement with Scripture that proves the error. As such, Messiah will be ruling and reigning WHEN the Torah goes out through the world! I understand your revilings...that was addressed in Scripture too...

Isa 51:6 “Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look on the earth beneath, for the heavens shall vanish like smoke, and the earth wear out like a garment, and those who dwell in it die as gnats. But My deliverance is forever, and My righteousness is not broken.
    Isa 51:7 “Listen to Me, you who know righteousness, a people in whose heart is My Torah: do not fear the reproach of men, nor be afraid of their revilings.

Future event, or not? "Somebody" gets eaten...
    Isa 51:8 “For a moth eats them like a garment, and a worm eats them like wool; but My righteousness is forever, and My deliverance to all generations.”

See, I just have to take issue with comments that insinuate that YHUH is a liar:

Deu 30:11 “For this command which I am commanding you today, it is not too hard for you, nor is it far off.
    Deu 30:12 “It is not in the heavens, to say, ‘Who shall ascend into the heavens for us, and bring it to us, and cause us to hear it, so that we do it?’
    Deu 30:13 “Nor is it beyond the sea, to say, ‘Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it to us, and cause us to hear it, so that we do it?’
    Deu 30:14 “For the Word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart – to do it.
    "The one who says he stays in Him is indebted to walk, even as He walked." 1Jn 2:6

Without Torah, His walk is impossible - it's Rome's walk without Torah.

Quote Originally Posted by Off-Grid Organics View Post
    LOL! I did no such thing, and you know it! I was responding to "The law was to show us that we needed a Savior" I was merely pointing out the error of that statement with Scripture that proves the error. As such, Messiah will be ruling and reigning WHEN the Torah goes out through the world! I understand your revilings...that was addressed in Scripture too...

Isa 51:6 “Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look on the earth beneath, for the heavens shall vanish like smoke, and the earth wear out like a garment, and those who dwell in it die as gnats. But My deliverance is forever, and My righteousness is not broken.
    Isa 51:7 “Listen to Me, you who know righteousness, a people in whose heart is My Torah: do not fear the reproach of men, nor be afraid of their revilings.

Future event, or not? "Somebody" gets eaten...
    Isa 51:8 “For a moth eats them like a garment, and a worm eats them like wool; but My righteousness is forever, and My deliverance to all generations.”

See, I just have to take issue with comments that insinuate that YHUH is a liar:

Deu 30:11 “For this command which I am commanding you today, it is not too hard for you, nor is it far off.
    Deu 30:12 “It is not in the heavens, to say, ‘Who shall ascend into the heavens for us, and bring it to us, and cause us to hear it, so that we do it?’
    Deu 30:13 “Nor is it beyond the sea, to say, ‘Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it to us, and cause us to hear it, so that we do it?’
    Deu 30:14 “For the Word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart – to do it.
    Your words betray what you truly believe, that your righteousness comes from the Law, contrary to what Scripture teaches:

Rom 3:21 But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it-
    Rom 3:22 the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction:
    Phil 3:6 as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to righteousness under the law, blameless.
    Phil 3:7 But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ.
    Phil 3:8 Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ
    Phil 3:9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith-

Tell me this, which love is greater, to love your neighbor as yourself or to love him as Christ loves us? One love is from the Law and can be attempted in our own strength while the other love can only come from faith and the working of the Holy Spirit in our lives. You want to cling to the Law and the love that it defines while Christ, who supersedes the Law, is calling Christians to live by faith and produce a love which doesn't come from our efforts but is a fruit of the Spirit.

I would have thought you would have learned this by now in your study of Hebrews. Christ is better than the Law.
    We can do nothing apart from Christ.

Your words betray what you truly believe, that your righteousness comes from the Law, contrary to what Scripture teaches:
    I think you may again be confused about justification (beginning) and sanctification (process / goal). Now justified, I am CALLED to walk in righteousness:

1Jn 3:7 Little children, let no one lead you astray. The one doing righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous.1 Footnote: 1See 2:29.
    "The one who says he stays in Him is indebted to walk, even as He walked." 1Jn 2:6

Without Torah, His walk is impossible - it's Rome's walk without Torah.

We have discussed this before. Christ was born under the Law so that he could fulfill it perfectly. But since that was completed at the cross, we are no longer under the Law.
    So, your position is that Christ was 'under' the Law, until He fulfilled it, and now He is free from the Law's authority? He could do something contrary to the Word of God and still be free from its authority?

In the human sense we have come to understand that, contrary to Nixon's statement that everything he did was legal since he was over the law and not under it, 'kings' are NOT above the Law. The ol' Lex/Rex or Rex/Lex argument. Kings throughout history who thought they were over, or above, the law, did not have righteous reigns, and the people suffered.

Jesus is subject to His Father, the One Who puts all things under His feet, the Lawgiver. All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Jesus, by His Sovereign. And yet Jesus said, heaven and earth would pass away, but not His words, nor would one jot or tittle fail from the Law till all was fulfilled.

Continuing: Believing Christians are in process of having the Law written within them, unbelieving Christians resist the Holy Spirit, therefore it is evident that they are also resisting the fruit of the Spirit's production.

What, forty9er, do you think it means to have God's Law written on, or in, our hearts?

Quote Originally Posted by Off-Grid Organics View Post
    I think you may again be confused about justification (beginning) and sanctification (process / goal). Now justified, I am CALLED to walk in righteousness:

1Jn 3:7 Little children, let no one lead you astray. The one doing righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous.1 Footnote: 1See 2:29.
    Exactly, Off-Grid! You are being sanctified! HalleluYah!