Thread: The Lord's Prayer

Default The Lord's Prayer

I started thinking recently about The Lord's Prayer, given to us by Jesus. I started saying it slowly and thinking about the words and the import of them. I wonder if anyone else has thought about how all encompassing those words are. The following is just a clumsy attempt to share how I have come to feel about the Lord's Prayer. I suppose others might ascribe other feelings about the words, but they have become a great comfort to me. Being brought up a Catholic, though no more, I usually start off by also saying "In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." I don't make the sign of the cross but I feel comforted that these words are a good precursor to prayer.

Our Father (The Father of us all) Who is in Heaven (Where He abides outside of his creation) Hallowed be Thy name. (We acknowledge his Lordship and our subservience) Thy Kingdom come (coming to us as Lord of all and be with us) Thy will be done (We again acknowledge his Kingship; his sovereignty) on Earth as it is in Heaven (everything belongs to Him and He is Lord of All) Give us this day (We ask for Him to bless us with life Today) our daily bread (by feeding us the bread of life, the Word) Forgive us our trespasses (we acknowledge our sinfulness and need to repent and do so) as we forgive those who trespass against us (Love your neighbor as yourself) Lead us not into temptation (understanding that He does not tempt us, but the evil one) but deliver us from evil. (Salvation had come through Jesus, the Word. In the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God, the Word was God and became flesh and dwelt among us.) For Thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory for ever and ever. (Again we acknowledge his Kingship and sovereignty through all eternity; the Alpha and Omega) Jesus said that all of the Law and prophets is summed up in loving the Lord our God with everything we have, and love our neighbor as ourself. The Lord's Prayer sums up those commands.

How could not the Lord's Prayer be the perfect prayer? If one thinks a bit more, It is also a prayer of total thanksgiving as well.

Thus ends the words of a simple man, not a scholar.

Fine words, gramster!