Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trump Admin. Stakes out Position on Gun Control

Default Trump Admin. Stakes out Position on Gun Control

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-government-g/

The Trump administration’s health secretary said he is open to having the government study the roots of gun violence in the wake of the latest mass shooting at a high school, breaking with a long-held interpretation of federal law.

Secretary Alex Azar’s announcement Thursday appeared to stake out bipartisan ground in a debate that has grown frustratingly divided and calcified with each killing spree.

For more than two decades, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said federal law prohibits it from researching gun violence in any way that might be used to justify gun control measures.

Mr. Azar, though, said the law — which is renewed each year as part of a spending bill — “does not in any way impede our ability to conduct our research mission. It’s simply about advocacy.”

“We’re in the science business and the evidence-generating business, and so I will have our agency certainly be working in this field as they do across the whole broad spectrum of disease control and prevention,” he told the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

A day before his testimony, a gunman killed 17 students and adults and left 14 others wounded at a Florida high school.

A fuller portrait emerged Thursday of Mr. Cruz, a loner who worked at a dollar store, joined the school’s ROTC program and posted photos of weapons on Instagram. At least one student said classmates joked that Mr. Cruz would “be the one to shoot up the school.”

Mr. Cruz, a 19-year-old orphan whose mother died last year, was charged Thursday with murder in the attack at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in the sleepy community on the edge of the Everglades. It was the nation’s deadliest school attack since a gunman left a bloody scene at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, more than five years ago.

“We’re going to have a real conversation about two things: How do we make sure when a parent is ready to send their child to school that — in Florida — that parent knows that child is going to be safe. No. 2, how do we make sure these individuals with mental illness do not touch a gun?” Florida Gov. Rick Scott, a Republican, said at a press conference.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced a cross-government effort to take on the issue, saying mass shootings like the one in Parkland, Florida, must end.

“Today we met with, this morning, our office of legal policy to work with our partners at Health and Human Services, the Department of Education and across this administration to study the intersection of mental health with criminality and violence, and to identify how we can stop people before these heinous crimes occur,” Mr. Sessions said at the Major County Sheriffs of America conference in Washington.

Democrats, though, said that ignores the availability of firearms, which they said are the common thread in the mass shootings.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, California Democrat, said the debate could find its way into the spending bills that Congress must pass by March 23, or lawmakers could form a select committee to work on a separate gun control bill.

“I would rather pass gun safety legislation than win the election,” Mrs. Pelosi said.

Rep. John Lewis, Georgia Democrat, asked Treasury Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin if there was money in the upcoming budget to deal with the “proliferation of gun violence.”

“I will say personally I think the gun violence — it’s a tragedy what we’ve seen yesterday, and I’d urge Congress to look at these issues,” Mr. Mnuchin said at a Ways and Means Committee hearing on the president’s 2019 budget request.

Republicans were peppered with questions from reporters who suggested that they have not been proactive in trying to combat school shootings.

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan, Wisconsin Republican, rejected those accusations and pointed to two bills that the House passed on background checks and mental illness. He said the Senate never took up the bills.

Mr. Ryan said existing laws should be re-examined before Congress creates additional gun restrictions.

“The question is: Are those laws where they need to be? Is it being implemented correctly?” he said a weekly press event on Capitol Hill.

The Senate has two bipartisan proposals to restrict access to weapons.

One plan from Sen. Joe Manchin III, West Virginia Democrat, and Patrick J. Toomey, Pennsylvania Republican, was drafted in 2013 in the wake of the Sandy Hook shooting and aims to expand background checks. It failed to clear the Senate.

Another proposal from Sen. Susan M. Collins, Maine Republican, and Patrick J. Leahy, Vermont Democrat, tries to restrict illegal purchases and trafficked firearms.

Ms. Collins said background checks and her bill to stem illegally acquired guns, combined with an approach to address mental health issues, need to be part of the solution.

“So those are three very practical steps that we can and should take and that are overdue,” she said to reporters.

On the House side, three Democrats pushed the Gun Violence Restraining Order Act that would allow family members or law enforcement to petition for the temporary removal of firearms if they believe someone is in crisis. The bill was first proposed in May.

Democrats resisted calls to add more armed security officers.

“The fact is we can’t make our school armed camps. That’s not practical, and it’s not reflective of our open society,” Sen. Bill Nelson, Florida Democrat, said on Fox News.

A new element to the gun debate is social media. Mr. Cruz had a social media presence that warned of his passion for guns and violence.

The FBI acknowledged that they were notified about a comment Mr. Cruz left on a YouTube channel page last year: “I’m going to be a professional school shooter.”

FBI agent Robert Lasky, who heads the bureau’s Miami division, said authorities were unable to identify the user who left the comment.

But one lawmaker said the issue of monitoring or restricting what people can post online could cross into dangerous territory and jeopardize personal freedoms.

“The First Amendment is pretty darn important. That’s why it’s the First Amendment, and the Second Amendment as well. It seems like whenever we have one of these tragedies take place there’s always folks who want to infringe on fundamental liberties that we as Americans enjoy,” Rep. Jim Jordan, Ohio Republican, said on Fox News.

⦁ David Sherfinski contributed to this article, which is based in part on wire service reports.
    ''... I believe that the maintenance of the rights and authority reserved to the states and to the people...are a safeguard to the continuance of a free government...whereas the consolidation of the states into one vast Republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded it.''- Gen. Robert E. Lee

Psychotropic drugs!

That is the one element that most/all have in common.

Won't hear one peep about it.

Wondering what kind of deal we'll get from the greatest deal maker in the world
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories, Former USA

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett View Post
    Psychotropic drugs!

That is the one element that most/all have in common.

Won't hear one peep about it.

Wondering what kind of deal we'll get from the greatest deal maker in the world
    Trump's campaign rhetoric notwithstanding, he is on record stating some truth, some lies and some brain-dead knee-jerk nonsense, including, but not limited to, the following:

It’s often argued that the American murder rate is high because guns are more available here than in other countries. Democrats want to confiscate all guns, which is a dumb idea because only the law-abiding citizens would turn in their guns and the bad guys would be the only ones left armed. The Republicans walk the NRA line and refuse even limited restrictions. Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

The part I put in bold is both truth and lie. Republicans do, by and large, follow the NRA line, but that line is hardly representative of "limited restrictions." The NRA and Republicans have had a hand in every major federal gun control measure in this country's history. I don't expect Trump to know that, because the Second Amendment is just the red-headed step-child within the Bill of Rights to him. So maybe "lie" is too strong a word to assign to that part of his 2A record. It's probably more consistent with the brain-dead, knee-jerk nonsense in this case.

Then there was this from the same book:

I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record. Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

"Assault weapon" can be defined by government any ol' way the whim suits them. That's as generalized a statement as one can make on the subject. "The" assault weapons ban that was en force at the time he made that statement was the most ridiculous mish-mash of useless language ever directed at an inanimate object within a piece of congressional legislation. The base definition of weapons or cosmetic accessories banned within the bill was, "semiautomatic assault weapon," which on its face is a misnomer. Every modern definition of "assault weapon" refers to a full-auto platform. Trump is/was exactly the target the forces of gun control were shootin' for when Clintoon's AWB set out to dumb-down that definition. I don't know a soul in the world who would claim Donald Trump is a Second Amendment advocate, especially not in light of the fact that he was so-easily moved to support the banning of a whole class of weaponry that wasn't even regulating the same class the legislation was named after. His more current conversion to advocate from banner, is hardly convincing. He would "deal" away the Second Amendment in totality if he thought it would "accomplish" whatever he was stupid enough to think the AWB "accomplished." His is not a scrutiny of constitutional law or founding principles, but of knee-jerk emotional considerations about children, death, guts and gore. Imagery of evil black rifles invokes those emotional responses in him. The Second Amendment is not safe under his so-called "protection."

Blues

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    .... I don't know a soul in the world who would claim Donald Trump is a Second Amendment advocate, .... He would "deal" away the Second Amendment in totality if he thought it would "accomplish" whatever he was stupid enough to think the AWB "accomplished." .... The Second Amendment is not safe under his so-called "protection."

Blues
    Ya know, we could be lookin at this all wrong.

With the Trumpster being ... eh, what's he being now ... eh, how 'bout rescuer, "savior" has too much of a divine ring to it, mehbe he just wants to show "us" his true benevolent self but he has to have us totally disarmed and at his mercy for him to demonstrate that he can save us from ourselves.

Davy, Blues ... think positive thoughts eh.

O.W.

Their needs to be a number. How many rounds should a gun have?
    I will keep my gun's and give up the high capacity mags. I have 30's and don't need them.(I'm not at war)
    So is it 5 or 7 or 10 rounds ?
    Outside of a bolt gun's, all rifles are or could be "Assault rifles".
    But we end up with the same problem,only the people that follow the Law will turn in high capacity mag's. And their not the problem in the first place.Or their gun's.

Its the lack of "GOD" in peoples heart's that maybe the problem ? Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Huk View Post
    For more than two decades, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said federal law prohibits it from researching gun violence in any way that might be used to justify gun control measures.

Huh, then what was that Obutthole Executive Order December 2012 that directed the CDC with a panel of researchers, at least one who was unbiased, who published their findings summer of 2013?

Seems they don't want to mention that or publicize it's findings especially the armed victim data...
    “Blessed are those who, in the face of death, think only about the front sight.” Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel M29c View Post
    .... (I'm not at war)
    But when you are ... and you're thinking round count is a viable issue?

And wars were fought with bolt guns.

Well, getting down on that first knee can be a bit of a challenge, after that, piece a cake ... and ya ain't gettin back up.

O.W.

Ok, you must be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel M29c View Post
    Ok, you must be right.
    Ain't a matter of "right" Brother ... it's a matter of "whats next".

If there weren't a single bullit or firearm remaining on the planet there would still be some psychopathic pos wanting whats yours whether it be material or your life's spirit and eagerly willing to take either or both, so's to have the upper hand, with any weapon of opportunity.

O.W.

A nail in a board. I get it.
    What about high capacity mag's only sold to CCP's holders from now on?
    Never mind.
    Think its still the human problem.