Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Matthew Henry

Default Matthew Henry

What do you think of the Matthew Henry Commentaries? I found out about him a month ago or so and have been looking up what he says on-line. So far he seems trustworthy. I really want to learn how to use the Bible and the Bible only to do Inductive Bible Studies, but he's pretty interesting and seems to believe the same way I do.....so far. Thought I would get some opinions on him before I went ahead and bought a set of his commentaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Hpwillis View Post
    What do you think of the Matthew Henry Commentaries? I found out about him a month ago or so and have been looking up what he says on-line. So far he seems trustworthy. I really want to learn how to use the Bible and the Bible only to do Inductive Bible Studies, but he's pretty interesting and seems to believe the same way I do.....so far. Thought I would get some opinions on him before I went ahead and bought a set of his commentaries.
    I can give you a little info.

His commentaries might be the oldest around (1708-1710), therefore they lack the modern influence and bent of today. But would contain the influence and bent of his day. For instance in his day no one foresaw the re-establishment of the Nation of Israel, so when you read his commentary on Eze. 37 (Valley of dry bones) you will probably get a different perspective, (before the fulfillment) than a commentary of today (after the fulfillment).

Another thing is, he might see the Antichrist as the Pope, almost everyone did back then. Today I would think most MSD would see the Pope as the False Prophet. Just showing a difference in perspective of the day.

He comes at the Bible from a Presbyterian perspective, as compared to a commentary, say, by a Roman Catholic.

If you don't mind me making some recommendations.

First of all you don't have to buy them, they are free online due to the expiration of the copy write.

Second, since this is one person's opinion-commentary I would recommend getting several commentaries to compare their thoughts. Many are free online.

As a resource consider down loading e-sword at e-sword.org. After doing that (and I can help you through the process if you need it) you can down load multiple commentaries for free: The Concise, and long version of Matthew Henry (Presbyterian) John Gill (late 1700's and Baptist) Jamison, Fassuet, and Brown, John Clark, The Cambridge Study Bible (early 1800's and used in college's at the time) K & D, (Germans who did exceptional work on the OT, early 1800's) to name a few.

To show another comparison John Gill's commentaries might support the idea in Gen. 6 that the giants were hybrids between fallen angels and human women, K & D do not.

And the really cool thing about all that is you can link the commentaries to each verse in the Bible. Pull up one verse, and all the commentaries that have anything to say about that verse is in a side bar.

The same can be done with Dictionaries. The International Bible Encyclopedia, is a great resource, and there are many for that side bar that are free as well.

There are others you may be interested in, that have a fee with them. Some as little as 3.00.

Hope that helps.

Just a question: Inductive Bible Studies? Isn't that done, or put together by Kay Arthur? It just sounds familiar, that's all.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

All good points. I may try the 'E-Sword' sometime, but we don't have internet at home, just our phones. (weird, I know) Not sure I want to download a lot on my phone. Yes, Kay Arthur has the Inductive Bible Studies. I am trying to learn how to actually complete one on my own as it seems like a good way to study by just using the Bible.

I get that, but just so you know they have an app for that. LOL

I don't really know anything about those studies, just heard about them. Not saying they are good, or bad. Don't know.

There are 5 basic ways to study the Word: Topical, Word, Character, Types, Expository

Those studies like in Sunday School where you read a commentary and then answer the questions at the end, is not a good way. You get a "right" answer based solely on what the author describes. And you will never grow any deeper than the author. Who may be a fruit loop LOL.

If I can help in any way just let me know.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

O, BTW just a thought:

If you have a tablet, or laptop computer that is wifi capable you can go to someplace like McD's which has free wifi, and down load the program (e-sword), and the commentaries, probably won't take over ten minutes to download everything, and then you could use it at home, without the internet.

Just saying it's a thought.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

I'll have to get those, too! lol We're really behind the times. Actually, we have laptops, but they are over 10 years old and hardly functional. We have tablets, but they were free and old now and useless. Am I behind the times or what? lol

I'll have to get those, too! lol We're really behind the times. Actually, we have laptops, but they are over 10 years old and hardly functional. We have tablets, but they were free and old now and useless. Am I behind the times or what? lol
    I wasn't trying to give you a hard time. It was just a thought. Accept, reject as you see fit. No problem.

And if that's what it takes to be behind the times we're running a close second. Computers nearly that old, with....wait for it ......flip phones. No loading up nothing there. LOL

BTW if I can help you look something up, just ask. You can make your own mind up as to what it says.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

No, no problem at all. I really need to catch up on some things, I suppose. My wife and I may go down in history as the only ones to not have WiFi! lol It used to concern me, but with the extra expense and all my friends having issues with theirs.....it just doesn't bother me. Now, what do you think about the Henry Morris Study Bible? Sorry for all the questions.

No, no problem at all. I really need to catch up on some things, I suppose. My wife and I may go down in history as the only ones to not have WiFi! lol It used to concern me, but with the extra expense and all my friends having issues with theirs.....it just doesn't bother me. Now, what do you think about the Henry Morris Study Bible? Sorry for all the questions.
    Shoot, don't feel compelled to upgrade. There's not an ounce of blood in my body that wants to get rid of my flip phone, for 25.00 a month, and up grade to an iPhone 10 for 100.00 a month. Why would I want to take a picture of myself, I know what I look like, and if I forget, I've got a mirror, and a drivers license. Some of this stuff is just crazy.

Anyway......

Off the top of my head, I think Henry Morris is the founder of Answers in Genesis. If that is the case, he is a Creationist, and also a young earth supporter. If memory serves. Have not actually heard of that Bible.

If you'll give me a few minutes I'll do a google.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Yeah that's him. However, its the Institute of Creation Research, instead of Answers in Genesis, my bad.

Looks like John McArthur endorses the book. I would suspect that his notes, of which there are 10,000, would tend towards the creations aspects found throughout the Bible, and are in an apologetics type format. So, he may not give insight into things like the rapture, yada, yada. Not that discussing the rapture is important, but rather topics he may cover.

Just saying.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him