Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Matthew Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Forty9er
    Now you have really gone and done it! You have just exposed yourself as heretic for not only revealing that you own a Scofield Bible but that you actually use it! I think that qualifies as a double heretic. You can expect the heretic police to be paying you a visit very soon.

(for those who couldn't tell, that was sarcasm)

Quote Originally Posted by Forty9er View Post
    Now you have really gone and done it! You have just exposed yourself as a heretic for not only revealing that you own a Scofield Bible but that you actually use it! I think that qualifies as a double heretic. You can expect the heretic police to be paying you a visit very soon.

LOL yeah I've been told I was a scumbag of the worse kind, and now there is evidence to prove it.

And not only that, but all the gold is worn off the edges of the pages, the leather is cracked around the edges, man it is ugly. It has about 400 bookmarks in it, for all my favorite verses.

I got a NASB in about 1976, all the guys I was hanging with had one, so I had to have one. Me and Sherree have been married for 41 years, so am thinking I got this Scofield about 35 or so years ago. Some of my notes are fading into oblivion. LOL it is ugly.

Back in the day I use to use it as a 97 pound hammer, aren't you glad I mellowed out some. LOL Someone use to tell jokes how old grandma's use to use their Scofield's as 97 lbs hammers to correct them. LOL
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    LOL yeah I've been told I was a scumbag of the worse kind, and now there is evidence to prove it.

And not only that, but all the gold is worn off the edges of the pages, the leather is cracked around the edges, man it is ugly. It has about 400 bookmarks in it, for all my favorite verses.

I got a NASB in about 1976, all the guys I was hanging with had one, so I had to have one. Me and Sherree have been married for 41 years, so am thinking I got this Scofield about 35 or so years ago. Some of my notes are fading into oblivion. LOL it is ugly.

Back in the day I use to use it as a 97 pound hammer, aren't you glad I mellowed out some. LOL Someone use to tell jokes how old grandma's use to use their Scofield's as 97 lbs hammers to correct them. LOL
    Well I am only a single heretic because I own a Scofield Bible but have it packed away somewhere and have forgotten where it is. I probably haven't used it for over 20 years.

And I think I got a NASB just about the same time as you or maybe a couple years earlier. That was when I was living in CA and it was very popular out there too. I am almost ashamed to admit that I used to live in So. CA but actually back then it was much more conservative than it is now and that is where most of the high tech jobs were, so that is why I ended up there.

I remember at about that time I had a chance to buy a really nice home in a good area south of LA for $50,000. But it would have been a stretch for me to make the payments so I decided to pass. I never had another opportunity to own a home in CA even though my salary was rising at a rapid pace. But looking back on it now maybe it was better that way.

I guess I should also put my 2 cents in on the topic of this thread. I have occasionally used Matthew Henry and I think he has some good insights on some passages but I never felt he really got into the meat of theology. I use John Gill's commentary fairly often and would recommend William Kelly's commentary especially if you don't mind a little more of a dispensational slant. But all of those I have on my computer and don't know how easy it would be to get those in hard copy.
    Last edited by Forty9er; 02-21-2018 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    I don't lay a blanket term like that on any organization, be it RCC, or Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist, or Oneness Pentecostal, or Prosperity Preachers, or label any person with a denominational bent whether that's RCC, or Baptist.

I talked extensively with a couple good friends of mine, years ago, who had a basic "Baptist" understanding of the gospel, and being born again. However, they were faithful in the RCC, going to mass, etc. I asked them why, and they replied it was to reach the Catholic's.

So your blanket statement if answered "yes", would not only include them, as they were Christians in every sense of the word, but also all the pedophiles, and associates of Hitler.

To answer "no" would mean my two friends would be excluded from your blanket statement.

Christianity, "to be Christ like" isn't based on an association with any organization, it's based on a relationship with Jesus Christ.
    I grew up catholic, and when I was born again, despite what I knew of the church, I took a soft stance on who is brethren. It would take a while, but God woke me up to the wolfish catholics and how they like to rub elbows with protestants, and it's not to "reach the catholics."

I remember one catholic that used to come to our pentecostal-lite church. She was always quoting the scriptures. She was also very faithful to our small group, she was always at our Sunday service. She attended Catholic mass on weekday mornings, of course.

She was a picture perfect example of what protestants think of Catholics who rub elbows with protestants, she must be brethren, why would she be there otherwise?

When her husband died, she had the funeral at a Catholic church. Out of kindness some of us from our small group attended. The opening music was beautiful, a solo acoustic from a very accomplished musician. It wasn't long before they were burning incense.

This sweet little sister in the Lord, strike that, wolf in sheep's clothing, had told us while we were driving her home from the funeral that she made sure to pay the priest to raise up an incense sacrifice for her husband's salvation. As a born again, Bible believing member of the Body of Christ I could not have conceived of anything sicker than that, a blatant treading of the blood of Christ.

You really have no idea the evil Biblical Christianity is facing right now.

But if you want to play footsie with the Mother of all Harlots, feel free. God has given you freewill, do with it as you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Forty9er View Post
    Now you have really gone and done it! You have just exposed yourself as a heretic for not only revealing that you own a Scofield Bible but that you actually use it! I think that qualifies as a double heretic. You can expect the heretic police to be paying you a visit very soon.

The "heretic police" will be arriving shortly:

2 Thessalonians
    when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire, 8 dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 9 These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, 10 when He comes to be glorified in His saints on that day

Laugh it up while you can, just know Jesus isn't laughing about the wickedly low-standard for truth people have fallen to.

Just to be clear, this catholic woman wasn't just a clueless lady with a low standard for truth. She was actually trying to teach us how salvation works. And when I say works, I mean filthy rags. She was tricksy in a lot of ways in the end, attempting to draw protestants into lies, but up front she was sweet as sugar. Those kinds of "brethren" are what Paul called "fierce wolves" and fierce wolves never spare the flock.

Quote Originally Posted by ByGraceAlone View Post
    Laugh it up while you can, just know Jesus isn't laughing about the wickedly low-standard for truth people have fallen to.
    I don't know what you thought I would be laughing about but my post had nothing to do with your comments or the RCC. I was simply making a funny, sarcastic remark about a Bible commentary since this thread is about Bible commentaries.

BTW, while I agree with your general characterization of the RCC and the fact that they present a false gospel, I don't agree that it means that no one associated with the RCC could be a born again believer. God's grace can even reach people in an association like that and change their heart through the true gospel, maybe not very many but some. And I don't think God has given us the authority or ability to say unless a person does or doesn't do x, y, or z, it proves they aren't a true believer.

But this whole discussion should really be in another thread.

And I must say, I took it that way 9er.

Especially since there was a thread thrashing Scofield a while back. And here I am using one. Not only am I using it, as my first pick, but 9er knows Scofield is a dispensationalist, and a pre-tribber, and I am not. Which would make me a double heretic.....in some circles.

So I got the sarcasm, and thought it was funny. Actually it was rolling in the floor funny, to me. And I appreciate the levity, since there is a lot of serious put downs in the Chapel.

BGA even as "that woman" was trying to convert people over to RCC, don't you think it could work the other way around too?

Also I get that in the last days there will be a one world religion, led by the false prophet, pointing us to that one, the antichrist. And there is a move afoot to bring the protestors(Protestants) back into the fold, sort of like the daughters of the harlot returning to mommy. And that move is led by WOF/Latter Rain movements, it should also be noted as to where all the "false Prophets" are arising out of. But it also includes some MSD like Anglican, and Lutheran. To name some.

However, as 9er said, this thread is about commentaries.

John Gill may be hard to find in book stores, but I would think can be found online in book form, or in a readable form online. Without downloading the book, same with other commentaries. Seems like the blue letter bible which is online, has links to commentaries, which you don't have to download, compared to e-sword.

Along with Henry, I would strongly recommend getting a Strong's Exhaustive Concordance with Greek and Hebrew definitions. Like a dictionary, Strong's doesn't pull one way, or the other on doctrine. It may be a bit pricey, and it really is a 97 lb hammer, very big heavy book.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

What do you think about the Thompson Chain Reference Bible? Could it still be a man's thoughts? I have one that I haven't used much, but am wanting to really give it a go. I thought maybe it might be the most accurate study Bible, but somewhere someone commented that it's Thompson's thoughts. What do you think?

There really isn't any "commentary" in Thompson's per say, like there is in,.... say Scofield's.

What it is, is a compilation of references, which was done by Thompson. That's not to say Thompson wouldn't exclude a reference because it disagrees with his POV.

As with the NASB, and Scofield, you can compare references in the margins, and there are differences, there may also be differences with Thompson.

In the thread about the Gifts of the Spirit, and whether or not they are for today, BGA makes the case that when the Bible was complete, roughly 100 AD those gifts ended.

If you look in Thompson's I Cor 13 across from the verses we are discussing, 9, 10, & 12 you'll get this as a cross reference for v. 12 concerning the mirror.

2Co 3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.
    Then in the margin across from 9, and 10 you get "3655 Transient Things" cf I Peter 1: 24

1Pe 1:24 For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:
    1Pe 1:25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.
    I included verse 25 as a comparison.

Then when you run 3655 down in the back under "Transient-enduring" there is an outline form I. Power II. Life III. Material things IV. Pleasure V. Knowledge VI. Glory with several verses for each, no comments. From there you can start a "chain" by looking up those verses, which gives you more references.

No where in those Bible references that are cited, is there one that supports BGA's commentary that those gifts ended in 100 AD.

IMHO there is a lot of good, a good tool, with the Thompson, but as with any reference material not a single one is the be all, end all of reference material. It should be noted I use a Scofield as my No. 1 Bible, but disagree with him on several issues. It's a reference material.

Just for transparency purposes Thompson was a Methodist-Episcopalian who took over the reins of a Bible College in CA started by Aimee McPherson a Pentecostal, and founder of Four Square Church.

I still can't find any fault with his Bible references on the Gifts. As an M-E which was the first Methodist Church in the US, I would think they generally follow BGA's line of thinking, but he taught at a Four Square College, which would not. Take it for what it's worth.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him