Thread: Evaporated Milk Too Old?

Default Evaporated Milk Too Old?

Today, I realized the milk in the fridge was spoiled. I didn't want to make a run into town just to get milk, so I got a can of evap milk off my pantry shelf to use in cooking tonight. I always open the can, pour into a glass jar, and add one can of water to it. Shake it up, and use just like fresh from the store milk. It has always worked great.

Until now......The can I opened is several years old. I think maybe 6 years old. When I poured it into the glass jar, it had a slight yellow tint to it, but smelled ok. Would you go ahead and use it, or throw it out?

On second thought, I've decided to throw it out along with the rest of the cases I have in the pantry. I stocked up on way too much evap milk, and am now paying the price. I just couldn't bring myself to not having any milk on hand if something hit the fan, ya know? Time to start over.

We use it to make a formula for baby goats who need to be bottle fed. A gallon of whole milk, a can of condensed, and a cup of buttermilk- (we take out the surplus from the gallon to start the next batch of buttermilk).
    Since I get it at the Amish (salvage) market, its always out of date, but works fine. And yes, its a bit "tan" at that age. The goats thrive on the mix though, never had a problem.

A better plan for people might be one of the dried milk varieties. They typically have a 7 -10 year life, and mix up with water.

Like HERE

Nonfat Dry Milk

A warrior lives by acting, not by thinking about acting, nor by thinking about what he will think when he has finished acting.

Doc1 is offline Tree of Liberty Supporter

Default Don't throw it out

All canned milk acquires a yellowish or slight tan hint over the years. This is not harmful, but is obviously worrisome to you. I would keep it and use it or - at worst - feed it to pets or livestock.

Best regards
    Doc

Thanks, HouseWolf and Doc1. I really appreciate ya'lls help. I have several cases of this milk in the pantry. I'll keep it if for no other reason than to feed the cats and dog. At least it won't all be lost by throwing it away.

I only use this canned milk to cook with, not to drink. I just over stocked, and stopped using it for a while. So, it sat in the pantry too long. I had heard that it was still good even long passed it's expiration date, but when I saw that it had a yellow tint to it, I felt is was too long passed the ex date. I'm gonna buy a few new cases along with some powdered milk, and make sure it's used before I have this same problem again. It's hard to judge how much milk one will need during a "something hits the fan" situation.

It's perfectly safe. I only keep evaporated milk on hand for emergency situations (cooking and baking) when our cow is dry, and I don't want to use (or take the time to defrost ) the milk I freeze just before we dry her off.

I've used some that was several years out of date, and it was discolored, but otherwise fine. No discernible difference in the end product.

Also, you might want to consider buying a few #10 cans of dry milk powder for your potential SHTF needs. Its packed for long term storage and the quality will be much better if it waits for 10 years before you need it. Keep a few cans of the canned stuff on hand for everyday "emergencies" when you run out of fresh and don't want to run to the store.

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme
    Also, you might want to consider buying a few #10 cans of dry milk powder for your potential SHTF needs. Its packed for long term storage and the quality will be much better if it waits for 10 years before you need it. Keep a few cans of the canned stuff on hand for everyday "emergencies" when you run out of fresh and don't want to run to the store.
    That's the best option, Summerthyme. I am considering buying a case of the #10 cans of dry milk, but will still have a few cases of canned evap milk on hand for everyday use. This is the first time I've feared using anything out of our storage pantry because of spoilage. I'm not throwing out what I have, and may try using some of it in cooking to see if the results are the same. Thanks.