Thread: Are the Spiritual gifts still at work today? Hear what God says in the matter.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Are the Spiritual gifts still at work today? Hear what God says in the matter.

Laura19 is offline Tree of Liberty Supporter

I have seen the gifts of the Spirit in my life. Word of knowledge was powerfully given to a sister in Christ to help me. I don't argue about these things though, why should I? If the Body of Christ doesn't accept, well, it's sad because they are depriving themselves of a what? Yeah, a gift!!

I am fully aware and sickened by the abuses though where things are called the Spirit and are far from that.

THE END ISN'T NEAR.........IT'S HERE

The problem is not global warming – it is moral cooling.

Yes, the spiritual gifts are still at work today.
    How asinine to think that anything that God ordained and put into the Body of Christ as gifts would just go away!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura19 View Post
    I have seen the gifts of the Spirit in my life. Word of knowledge was powerfully given to a sister in Christ to help me. I don't argue about these things though, why should I? If the Body of Christ doesn't accept, well, it's sad because they are depriving themselves of a what? Yeah, a gift!!

I am fully aware and sickened by the abuses though where things are called the Spirit and are far from that.
    Did you watch the video? Did you catch the scriptural proofs that show what 1 Cor. 13 actually says?

I've seen amazingly supernatural activities, some even seeming to be doing some real good.

But if Jesus said there would be lying signs and wonders at the end, and He did, and the scriptures actually prove that the Spiritual gifts ceased at the completion of the New Testament scriptures, and they do, what makes you think the devil, who Paul says always comes as an angel of light, isn't setting up Christians en masse with all these false signs and wonders through a counterfeit of the Spiritual gifts?

Laura19 is offline Tree of Liberty Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by ByGraceAlone View Post
    Did you watch the video? Did you catch the scriptural proofs that show what 1 Cor. 13 actually says?

I've seen amazingly supernatural activities, some even seeming to be doing some real good.
    Mine was good - delivered from 20 years of smoking cigarettes. I could tell you the whole story but I said I wasn't going to argue and I'm not going to have my beautiful story run thru the mud.

Believe what you want, it's your loss

Better to spend your time being a thermostat, not a thermometer

THE END ISN'T NEAR.........IT'S HERE

The problem is not global warming – it is moral cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by somoprepper08
    Yes, the spiritual gifts are still at work today.
    How asinine to think that anything that God ordained and put into the Body of Christ as gifts would just go away!
    I agree. God gave gifts to his church, and no where in Scripture does it says that he would or has rescinded them. That's not to say that Satan doesn't have a counterfeit, and we see that all too often at work today mostly in Word of Faith and other Charismatic circles. As long as the church remains here on earth, those gifts and callings of God will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura19
    I could tell you the whole story but I said I wasn't going to argue and I'm not going to have my beautiful story run thru the mud.
    I know how you feel, Laura.

Yes, in fact I did, watch the vid.

So now I have a question for you.

But first can I lay some historical background?

Out of convenience let's say the 27 books of the New Testament were finished being written in roughly 100 AD.

And we know that the way things are today, everyone owning 2-3 Bibles, some churches even provide Bibles in the pews, was not the way it was in 100 AD. What we do know is that most major cites, which would have the larger congregations (they didn't have church buildings back then) like Rome, Carthage, Alexandria, Ephesus, etc. all had copies of the 27 books of the NT by about 150 AD. Not very many individuals, other than some rich people who could afford it because it was very costly to have anything put in book form.

And we also know that by 150 AD a lot of the smaller cities, had copies of the 4 Gospels, but that was it, not all 27. Given more time, more copies became available.

One also has to consider that at this time being a Christian in the Roman Empire was a crime. The severity of enforcement depended on location. In Rome it was very bad, not so much in Ephesus.

Then when in 312 Constantine made Christianity an acceptable religion, and even more so in 391 Christianity was made the state religion, I'm sure a diligent effort was made to make more copies of the 27 books. There are today some 5000 manuscripts, plus pieces, it was a good work, and we all should appreciate it.

In 412 the Council at Carthage sent a letter to the Council at Constantinople requesting a copy of the 27 (the number they used) books of the Received Text (Textus Receptus). So during this time there was a lot copying going on.

Jerome did a translation called the Latin Vulgate in roughly 400, it was commissioned in 382. Which was used by the RCC up through 1979.

There is a catch in all this, especially after 400 AD, in that the 27 books of the NT wasn't available to the common person sitting on a pew.

A shift in that area, sort of began in the 1450's with the printing press. And even more so a bit earlier in the late 1300's with Wycliff's Translations. Still unavailable to the common man.

With that as the historical background, BTW if you want to challenge that, that's ok.

Now to my question:

The gifts of Spirit (the Spiritual gifts as you stated) are listed/discussed in 3 places: Romans 12, I Corinthians 12, and 14, and Ephesians 4.

And you are saying that not only do those gifts no longer exist, but those verses no longer apply to any Christian, or group of Christians, no longer are they the Sword able to divide the soul, and spirit, no longer are those verses eternal, since roughly 100 AD?
    Wise Men Still Seek Him