Thread: Regrets

Default Regrets

I know we shouldn't cherry pick Scripture or take something out of context. But I am re-reading 2 Cor and Paul says something about regrets that has me sort of puzzled. I'm pretty sure I know the context of both letters to the Corinthians. But 2 Cor 7:10 sort of perplexes me. How does a person who has repented and become born again have no regrets for the past life? If we think carefully about our lives before and even after repentance we see our lives as one sin after the other; some deliberate, some due to habit and some sin that is unintentional. Some behavior may take years to overcome. I know I am saved. I know my sins have been wiped away by Christ. Yet, when I lie in my bed in the morning as I say my morning prayers I am staggered by how I failed in so many ways, and I still do. I have regret. I know those things can't be changed, but how does one put that aside? In many ways, and at times Paul is hard to understand.

I sort of feel like the guy described as losing everything but escapes himself as a man passing through fire. (1cor 3:15)

Is this the verse you refer to?

KJV

2Co 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
    ASV

2Co 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance unto salvation, a repentance which bringeth no regret: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
    IMHO Paul means he does not regret, repenting of sin.

For example: I got convicted of smoking, thought God was working in me, to give them up. I, mean after all, when I got to heaven, who could I bum one off of?

Now that I have quit, I don't regret quitting. Can be around smokers, and I don't want one. I regret smoking in the first place, yada, yada, but don't regret repenting of them, or giving them up.

On the other hand worldly sorrow doesn't bring repentance, only regret.

Drunks use to come to dad's house all the time. Sit around and ball, and squall about they were no good, and were going to hell, and would we pray, for them yada, yada. They would be back in about 2 weeks, drunk, balling and squalling about going to hell, and would we pray for them, yada, yada.

They had lots of regrets, but no repentance. And they never did repent either.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Thanks. Hah!! That makes sense. Not regretting giving up the past life. Boy am I dense sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by grampster View Post
    Thanks. Hah!! That makes sense. Not regretting giving up the past life. Boy am I dense sometimes.
    Sure no problem.

Thursday I wrote this big note. Reset clocks! Set it on the dining room table right where I take my evening pills, so I would be sure and see it.

Sunday AM while still laying in bed. Sherree asks, "Did you reset the clocks?" I said, "No."

Sometimes these things happen, and it's OK.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

I have an alarm set on my phone to take my pills. 3PM and 5PM. About half of the time I turn off the alarm and about a half hour later Lynn says, "Did you take your pills?" Ummmm, no, but I did turn off the alarm.