Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Physicist Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76

Quote Originally Posted by dissimulo View Post
    That is a very good question and one that has no easy answers if you are not religious. The lack of easy answers doesn't mean that you can't make peace with the situation though.

In the same way that religious people feel that you are losing out on something important if you don't subscribe to their religion, I feel that people are missing something important if they don't grapple with absolute mortality. Camus thought that escaping this problem through the fantasy of religion was a kind of philosophical/intellectual suicide and that is exactly how I feel about it.
    And then again, the opposite may be true. Just saying, not going to get into a religious debate in the COC.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    And then again, the opposite may be true. Just saying, not going to get into a religious debate in the COC.
    Yes it is hard to have a discussion on this topic without sparking a debate or inadvertently offending the other side. I'm not seeking a debate, just offering a different perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by dissimulo View Post
    Yes it is hard to have a discussion on this topic without sparking a debate or inadvertently offending the other side. I'm not seeking a debate, just offering a different perspective.
    Yeah, and that's fine, no problem. As was I.

Even with my comments earlier about Hawkings'. He does know the truth. It ends with the grave, re-incarnation, or where people desire a drop of water off the end of a beggar's finger, he now knows.

Just as an Islamist homicide bomber knows, the instant he presses the trigger. I think his first word after that is oops, but he knows regardless.

Even as we will know, when that time comes for us.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

At this point, it doesn't matter. The man is gone. Where he is now is based on his own choice.
    Last edited by Sherree; 03-15-2018 at 01:17 PM.

Laura19 is offline Tree of Liberty Supporter

The description of people begging for a drop of water always gave me the chills

THE END ISN'T NEAR.........IT'S HERE

The problem is not global warming – it is moral cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherree View Post
    So, you believe that Hawking will be made righteous at his resurrection?
    I believe he will be resurrected, when all who are in their graves will hear the voice of the Son of God and come forth. They will be judged for the things they did while in the body. Someday they will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father, which can only be done through, or by, the Holy Spirit. They will learn righteousness when God's judgments are in the earth. (Is 26:9b)

Quote Originally Posted by dmatic View Post
    I believe he will be resurrected, when all who are in their graves will hear the voice of the Son of God and come forth. They will be judged for the things they did while in the body. Someday they will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father, which can only be done through, or by, the Holy Spirit. They will learn righteousness when God's judgments are in the earth. (Is 26:9b)
    None of that makes any sense. No one will be given a chance to learn righteousness and come to know the Lord after death. Yes, the Bible says that in the end every knee shall bow, and every tongue will confess, but that has nothing to do with unbelievers coming to know Christ, after they have died. Even the demons believe, and acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, but that doesn't mean they have found salvation.

I'm not gonna discuss this with you further, unless you take it down to The Chapel. You can start a new discussion about Hawking and his salvation, or reopen the old thread where universal salvation has already been discussed in circles.

Quote Originally Posted by dmatic View Post
    Hawking now explained: "What I meant by 'we would know the mind of God' is, we would know everything that God would know, if there were a God. Which there isn't. I'm an atheist."

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. ~ Matthew 10:33

¤ Loose Change

I have set the LORD always before me: because He is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. ~ Psalm 16:8