Thread: College list's God Bless You as Microaggression.

Default College list's God Bless You as Microaggression.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...croaggression/

Telling a classmate “God bless you” after she sneezes is a “microaggression,” according to extensive social justice guidelines posted by a women’s college in Boston.

On its website, the Simmons College library lists six “anti-oppression” categories—“anti-racism,” “anti-transmisia,” “anti-ableism,” “anti-Islamomisia,” “anti-sanism” and “anti-queermisia”—with which students should be familiar.

“This guide is intended to provide some general information about anti-oppression, diversity, and inclusion as well as information and resources for the social justice issues key to the Simmons College community,” a description of the catalogue reads.

Under the “anti-Islamomisia” tab, students are warned that saying “God bless you” after a sneeze is to commit the microaggression, “Assumption of One’s Own Religious Identity as the Norm.”

Wishing someone “Merry Christmas” similarly “conveys one’s perception that everyone is Christian or believes in God.”

Another common “Islamomisic” microaggression is “telling someone that they are in the ‘wrong’ religion,” the guidelines so

Under the “anti-racism” tab, students are warned against committing “colorblind racism” by saying “I don’t see color. I just see people,” “We’re all just people” or “#AllLivesMatter.”

“I don’t care if you’re black, white, green, or purple-polka-dotted!” is another example of colorblind racism, the guidelines state.

The “transmisia” tab warns students against using incorrect gender pronouns or otherwise “misgendering” their classmates.

And microaggressions aren’t the only slights students should avoid: There are also “microinvalidations,” “microinsults” and “microassaults.”

The guidelines stress that attaching the prefix “micro” to the noun “aggressions” in no way “minimalizes or otherwise evaluates the impact or seriousness of the aggressions.”

“The prefix ‘micro’ is used because these are invocations of racial hierarchy at the individual level (person to person),” the guidelines state, “where as the ‘macro’ level refers to aggressions committed by structures as a whole (e.g. an organizational policy).”
    ''... I believe that the maintenance of the rights and authority reserved to the states and to the people...are a safeguard to the continuance of a free government...whereas the consolidation of the states into one vast Republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded it.''- Gen. Robert E. Lee

Romans 1:22 seems to apply here...

"Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools"
    A warrior lives by acting, not by thinking about acting, nor by thinking about what he will think when he has finished acting.

The example above seems silly and extreme, but it's not as if it's totally without basis. There's still a lot of boorish or thoughtless behavior resulting from a disregard for other people's beliefs or experiences, like inviting a Jewish or Muslim friend over for an Easter dinner where the main dish is ham.

As far as a formulaic and not-very-religious "God Bless You" being a microaggression, well, people should count their blessings. I've been in religious discussions where people have called an effective end to the conversation by sneering "I'll pray for you!" in a way that clearly meant "Burn in hell, and your little dog too!" It was certainly aggressive, and nothing "micro" about it.

Oh did I say God? Sorry, I meant to say Dog, but I am dyslexic. Are you agressing dyslexics?

Quote Originally Posted by philjam View Post
    Oh did I say God? Sorry, I meant to say Dog, but I am dyslexic. Are you agressing dyslexics?
    You hear about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac? He lies awake all night wondering if there really is a dog.

Only in the effed up world of liberalism can an act of kindness be turned into an aggressive act.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSystem View Post
    The example above seems silly and extreme, but it's not as if it's totally without basis. There's still a lot of boorish or thoughtless behavior resulting from a disregard for other people's beliefs or experiences, like inviting a Jewish or Muslim friend over for an Easter dinner where the main dish is ham.

As far as a formulaic and not-very-religious "God Bless You" being a microaggression, well, people should count their blessings. I've been in religious discussions where people have called an effective end to the conversation by sneering "I'll pray for you!" in a way that clearly meant "Burn in hell, and your little dog too!" It was certainly aggressive, and nothing "micro" about it.
    Well, bless your pea pickin heart..............

Quote Originally Posted by PatDaly View Post
    Well, bless your pea pickin heart..............
    Bless Their Hearts

BY RICHARD NEWMAN

At Steak ‘n Shake I learned that if you add
    “Bless their hearts” after their names, you can say
    whatever you want about them and it’s OK.

My son, bless his heart, is an idiot,
    she said. He rents storage space for his kids’
    toys—they’re only one and three years old!

I said, my father, bless his heart, has turned
    into a sentimental old fool. He gets
    weepy when he hears my daughter’s greeting
    on our voice mail. Before our Steakburgers came
    someone else blessed her office mate’s heart,
    then, as an afterthought, the jealous hearts
    of the entire anthropology department.

We bestowed blessings on many a heart
    that day. I even blessed my ex-wife’s heart.
    Our waiter, bless his heart, would not be getting
    much tip, for which, no doubt, he’d bless our hearts.

In a week it would be Thanksgiving,
    and we would each sit with our respective
    families, counting our blessings and blessing
    the hearts of family members as only family
    does best. Oh, bless us all, yes, bless us, please
    bless us and bless our crummy little hearts.

It should be noted that "bless your pea pickin' heart" was made famous by Tennessee Ernie Ford, born in Bristol, TN and was a Country, and Western, and Gospel singer. Had his own show, and appeared on I Love Lucy about 4 times as Cousin Ernie. Bless your pea picken' heart was kind of his signature line.

And the intent today in using the term is meant to convey "you're as dumb as a post", in a polite, public manner, on some occasions, and on others to mean/convey a thank you for your act of kindness/thoughtfulness.

And usually the one receiving the conveyance understands which one is meant.

On the subject of micro aggression on the term God Bless You. Is absolutely absurd, and is the norm for those wishing to express themselves in that manner of Political Correctness, bless their little hearts.

Based on 2 accounts: 1) It is not whether the person receiving the invocation believes in God, it is whether the person giving it, believes in God. The longer form of the term would be: May my God Bless you. In contrast I wouldn't expect an atheist to make such an expression. 2) God being an English generic term could be viewed by an Islamist as Allah Bless You, etc.... So those receiving it could also be blessed by the term, and say thank you.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

This is what got us here…detached mindlessness. And this same thinking goes on and on.
    Last edited by doat; 03-18-2018 at 08:49 AM.