Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "It Was Insanity": The My Lai Massacre, 50 Years Ago Today

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Bullwinkle View Post
    There is really little difference between My Lai and those that sit in a soft chair in Arizona
    piloting a drone over a mid East country dropping bombs on a wedding party.

"War is mass murder wrapped in a pretty flag."

I agree Jimmy ... and pace yourself on them projects. Don't wanna slip up and have to go back and do 'em agin.

O.W.

I remember eating dinner at a restaurant in the strip mall where (former) LT. Calley owns a Jewelry store. This was back in the 80s when I was at Ft. Benning. Seemed like everyone in our Infantry unit had an opinion on him and the event. The locals generally liked him and supported him and thought he got a bum rap.

Quote Originally Posted by cptmidnight View Post
    I remember eating dinner at a restaurant in the strip mall where (former) LT. Calley owns a Jewelry store. This was back in the 80s when I was at Ft. Benning. Seemed like everyone in our Infantry unit had an opinion on him and the event. The locals generally liked him and supported him and thought he got a bum rap.
    V V Vick jewelry store. I think his wife's family actually owned it. Where did you eat, Deorio's? They closed recently.

Quote Originally Posted by tygerkittn View Post
    V V Vick jewelry store. I think his wife's family actually owned it. Where did you eat, Deorio's? They closed recently.
    Could be... been 30 years tho.

Quote Originally Posted by cptmidnight View Post
    The locals generally liked him and supported him and thought he got a bum rap.
    Lotsa folks over the centuries have been described by peers, contemporaries, fellow citizens as pleasant ... but in truth weren't.

Many of us if not most, under given circumstances in the right setting are capable of some horrendous acts.

Consider the many headlines presented here over the years of the atrocities committed by humans and interject a loved one, to include critters, in the place of the actual victim.

Given the opportunity, what would you do, what could you do, what are you capable of?

To what extent are you able to inflict severe suffering on the individual responsible for the brutal rape of your tiny children / grandchildren? Who doused your beloved canine with gasoline and set a match to it?

I know what I'm capable of and I regularly ask Father for Forgiveness for just having the thoughts.

Mr. Calley was a young, career minded platoon leader doing the bidding of his superior officers. He was a murderer of the innocent and I hope that his heart was rent during the course of his actions and for many years to follow.

O.W.