Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "It Was Insanity": The My Lai Massacre, 50 Years Ago Today

Default "It Was Insanity": The My Lai Massacre, 50 Years Ago Today

A date which ought to live in infamy. The first few paragraphs from the Washington Post article follow below.

‘It was insanity’: At My Lai, U.S. soldiers slaughtered hundreds of Vietnamese women and kids

By Ian Shapira March 16 at 7:00 AM Email the author

American soldiers burned numerous homes during the My Lai Massacre on March 16, 1968, in My Lai, South Vietnam. (Ronald S. Haeberle/Time Life/Getty Images)

Early morning on March 16, 1968, helicopters carrying U.S. soldiers flew into a tiny village on the eastern side of South Vietnam, bordering the South China Sea. They’d arrived by a series of hamlets, known as My Lai, expecting to find a booby-trapped stronghold of their enemy, the Viet Cong. Instead, all they saw were noncombatants: women, children, elderly men. Many of them were preparing for breakfast.

The Americans, about 100 soldiers from the Army’s Americal division, proceeded to massacre them. Over the next several hours, the civilians in My Lai (pronounced “Me Lie”) and an adjacent settlement were shot and thrown in ditches. The body count: 504 people from more than 240 families. Some women were raped. Huts and homes were burned. Even the livestock was destroyed.

It was one of the worst American military crimes in history and still pierces the collective conscience of Vietnam War veterans. On Friday, an organization called the Vietnam Peace Commemoration Committee is scheduled to hold a vigil in Lafayette Square across from the White House to acknowledge the American war crimes at My Lai.

Right after the attack, the soldiers — who had been told by their superiors the night before that everyone they’d see would be a Viet Cong guerrilla or sympathizer — kept quiet about what they’d done. For more than a year and a half, the public wouldn’t know about the atrocity. Top military officials initially tried to keep a lid on the killings and commanders even touted the mission to the press as a tactical feat. A United Press International wire service account published in newspapers March 16 reported that U.S. infantrymen “tangled with Communist forces threatening the northern city of Quang Ngai Saturday and U.S. spokesmen reported 128 guerrillas slain in the bitter fighting.” But a few paragraphs later, the article, unwittingly, contained an ominous foreshadowing: “Details of the fighting near Quang Ngai were sketchy.”

Soon, a government whistleblower and a promising journalist would expose the atrocity. In early 1969, Ronald Ridenhour, a veteran from Arizona, wrote a letter to the White House, Pentagon, State Department and numerous members of Congress, revealing his conversations with soldiers who participated or saw the attack. Ridenhour’s letter included details that made the allegations credible and worthy of investigation, including map coordinates of My Lai, witness names and the identities of the perpetrators, according to a congressional probe.

I'm catching a strong whiff of Blacksprucy in many threads here lately.

Fifty years?
    Wow, time flies whether you're having fun or not.
    Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death , but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I'm catching a strong whiff of Blacksprucy in many threads here lately.
    I didn't have the problem with Blacksprucy that many here did
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett View Post
    Neither did I.
    If you are referring to the OP, this is a totally different writer here than Blacksprucy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSystem View Post
    .... On Friday, an organization called the Vietnam Peace Commemoration Committee is scheduled to hold a vigil in Lafayette Square across from the White House to acknowledge the American war crimes at My Lai.
    Acknowledge? What arrogance!

'murka, land 'o the brave homa da free.

Now, so it don't get personal "wee" utilize missiles and smart bombs to accomplish mass murder ....

O.W.

Vietnam was an attempt at nation building.Neither side wanted us there and both were happy when we left.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett View Post
    Same here, Davy.

TheSystem doesn't smell like Blacksprucy, but he does smell familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
    Vietnam was an attempt at nation building.Neither side wanted us there and both were happy when we left.
    Sorry Jimmy, but I couldn't disagree more.
    I respect you and your opinions, most of the time.
    Enough said, and we will leave it at that.

Rhodie
    I have seen the Elephant, War and Worse,
    I do not love it
    Nor do I fear it.
    I just dread what it can do to my country.

Duty, HONOR, Country.
    If you have to ask, you will never Know.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
    John F Kennedy

The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves.
    George Washington

'Forged in a fire lit long ago. Stand next to me, you'll never stand alone.'

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
    Resources ... Dole.

O.W.