Thread: Gun that killed Trayvon Martin 'makes $250,000 for Zimmerman'

Default Gun that killed Trayvon Martin 'makes $250,000 for Zimmerman'

Latest from the BBC: American entrepreneurship at its best!

Gun that killed Trayvon Martin 'makes $250,000 for Zimmerman'

The handgun used to kill unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin in 2012 has been sold for $250,000 (£172,000), US media say.

The gun was put up for auction by George Zimmerman, who fired the shot but was acquitted of Trayvon's murder.

US media said Mr Zimmerman had backed out of a deal for $150,000 to take the higher price.

The killing was instrumental in launching the national Black Lives Matter social movement.

The sale of the gun drew criticism from those saying Mr Zimmerman, 32, was seeking to profit from the killing. Gun rights advocates say he was exercising his legal rights under US law.

The site that hosted the auction, UnitedGunGroup.com, on Saturday confirmed the amount the Kel-Tec PF-9, 9mm pistol had fetched, according to AFP news agency. The pistol sells new for about $350.

The Florida neighbourhood watchman had himself told the KTNV station he was accepting the sum.

Denny Honeycutt, a Florida bar owner who said he had agreed a price of $150,000, told the Daytona Beach News-Journal that Mr Zimmerman had reneged on the deal.

"I thought he was a man of his word," Mr Honeycutt told the paper.

He said the buyer was a woman who had wanted the gun as a birthday present for her son.

But Mr Zimmerman said he would not reveal the buyer's identity, adding: "The winning bidder will ultimately decide if they want their information to be maintained in confidentiality."

UnitedGunGroup.com hosted the auction after another site, GunBroker, backed out, saying it wanted no part in the listing. Mr Zimmerman called GunBroker "Nazi loving liberal liars".

Good for him!
    He was exonerated on the murder charges so is a free man to do as he wishes.

This was over 3 years ago.
    "On hire from Swiss or Sweden, be me Christain, be me heathen,The Devil to the sabre I shall put"

Quote Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post
    Ya that is for sure. The latest from the BBC?
    Guess one did NOT look at the DATE. LOL

22 May 2016

It's news to me ....

O.W.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoppalong View Post
    Ya that is for sure. The latest from the BBC?
    Guess one did NOT look at the DATE. LOL

22 May 2016

Totally right. Apologies for posting old news, and I'm grateful that on the internet nobody can see you hang your head in shame.

I would have kept it but to each his own. Good for him. He can now buy a condo in the shithole he lives in.