Thread: Melchisedec

Default Melchisedec

I thought we had had a short discussion of Melchisedec a while ago but could not find it. At the time I held an opinion that Melchisedec was Shem, the eldest of Noah's three children? Last night at a Passover gathering I was talking with a young genius friend of mine who was pointing out that the KJV, taken from the Masoretic text, listed ages from Gen. 11 differently than the Septuagint, which presumably was a translation taken from an older Hebrew copy than the Masoretic text, wherein the ages when the patriarchs in question had their first child added a hundred years to the number that the KJV has. Using the Septuagint numbers, Shem would have died well before Abraham and could not have been the Melchisedek whom Abraham met and gave tithes to. Using the numbers from the KJV, Shem outlives Abraham by 30 years, so he could have been the teachers of righteousness, the king of Salem, of peace. Anybody care to help me out with this dilemma? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Adams View Post
    Ask CaryC.....he's old enough, he might actually have been there.

Yes, that's the ticket! Ask CaryC.

I would, but I think he has me on ignore. Recovering in the hospital after having a heart attack last Saturday night....long story but thankful to have been brought back to life after dying in the ambulance.....God is good!

Prayers for a speedy recovery, dmatic.

I do.

But Sherree told me of your situation, and am sorry for it. Hope you feel better soon.

Yeah ol' Mel was like, "Dude, did you see what Ab did?" And I was like, "Yeah, was that like cool, or what?" "Maybe we should give him a special name, or something." And Mel suggested "Ranger, sounds pretty cool." And I was like, "I'm all in, on that one."

Just reminiscing about the old days. Anyway......

Mel is an odd character in the Bible and lots of things have been debated about him. Each can make up their own mind on it.

Running some time lines will give you some idea.

Shem could of died when Ab was about 30 or so. Some commentaries make it much earlier.

Ab was 75 when he left Haran

Gen 12:4 So Abram went, as Jehovah had spoken unto him; and Lot went with him: and Abram was seventy and five years old when he departed out of Haran.
    Ab was 100 when Isaac was born.

Gen 21:5 And Abraham was a hundred years old, when his son Isaac was born unto him.
    The episode with Mel. happened somewhere in between.

And considering they also made a trip to Egypt, and had comeback to Canaan. Before this.

Since Ab had 318 men born in his own house, (slaves) and his herds were large, and a fight ensued between the servants of Lot and the servants of Ab, I suspect some time had passed.

So my guess is Ab was somewhere between 85, and 90 years of age when he met Mel. Shem would of been dead some 50+ years.

Mel, though tracing genealogies was not of the line of Shem, at least to the point of also not being in Ab's ancestry. Therefore Levi paid tithes to Mel.

Mel was also like Jesus in that he was a priest, AND a king.

Just some thoughts make of them what you will.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him