Thread: Baked Beans, with variations from ME.

Default Baked Beans, with variations from ME.

Bean source: Three Rivers Farm, Milo, ME 04463, e-mail:threerivers farm03@yahoo.com. I buy retail, no contact or connection to these people, but germination test in May 08 was 96%, (24 of 25 sprouted) Yellow Eye Beans. prepare beans usual way, inspect, rinse, soak, bringing to a boil after soaking will reduce cooking time, too long will mushy them.

2# beanpot will use 1 1/2 # of beans. 2 onions diced, 12 oz lean salt pork diced 3/4", 2 med onions. 1 tbs pepper, 1 tbs mustard, 1 tbs salt, 3/4 cup molassses. layer starting with onions on bottom, beans,onions, salt pork,

about 3 quart of water, the molasses, salt, mustard, bring to a boil, fill pot to @ 3/4" below top. Bake @ 3 hours, topping liquid each hour, let set overnight, next day slow bake for a couple of more hours after mashing up a pint off the top with liquid and stirring into the pot.

Variations: 1 can fine diced tomatoes (drain into bean liquid),divided between layers, dried soup veg mix, 1 tbsp per layer, 1 tsp ginger, sometimes chinese 5 spice mix, 3-4 tbsp soy sauce, two dashes liquid smoke, 1 tbsp soy bacon crumbles per layer. Chili powder to taste. I bake @ 350 for 1st, 300 for 2nd.

Hot biscuits or brown bread?

Default Pork and Beans to can

Pork and Beans to can

2 quarts dried navy beans (about 2 pounds)
    2 tsp. salt
    1 pound salt pork or country ham cut into small chunks
    3 large onions, diced
    1 1/3 C. brown sugar
    3 tsp. salt
    1/2 C. mustard
    1 1/3 C. molasses

Cover beans with 6 quarts water; let stand 12 to 18 hours in a cool place. Drain. Cover beans with 6 quarts water and add 2 tsp. salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat. Cover; simmer until skins begin to crack. Drain, reserving liquid. Put beans back into pot and add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Add back 8 cups of the bean liquid. May add water to make up the 8 cups if you don't have enough bean juice left. Mix well. Put beans into baking dishes or bean pots. Cover and bake at 350 for 3 hours. Add water if needed to keep beans "soupy". Let cool a little while getting jars ready. Pack hot beans and sauce into jars leaving 1" head space. Remove air bubbles. Adjust caps and process pints 1 hour and 20 minutes, quarts 1 hour and 35 minutes at 10 pounds pressure. Makes about 14 pints or 7 quarts of pork and beans.

She

Quote Originally Posted by SheWoff View Post
    Pork and Beans to can

2 quarts dried navy beans (about 2 pounds)
    2 tsp. salt
    1 pound salt pork or country ham cut into small chunks
    3 large onions, diced
    1 1/3 C. brown sugar
    3 tsp. salt
    1/2 C. mustard
    1 1/3 C. molasses

Cover beans with 6 quarts water; let stand 12 to 18 hours in a cool place. Drain. Cover beans with 6 quarts water and add 2 tsp. salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat. Cover; simmer until skins begin to crack. Drain, reserving liquid. Put beans back into pot and add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Add back 8 cups of the bean liquid. May add water to make up the 8 cups if you don't have enough bean juice left. Mix well. Put beans into baking dishes or bean pots. Cover and bake at 350 for 3 hours. Add water if needed to keep beans "soupy". Let cool a little while getting jars ready. Pack hot beans and sauce into jars leaving 1" head space. Remove air bubbles. Adjust caps and process pints 1 hour and 20 minutes, quarts 1 hour and 35 minutes at 10 pounds pressure. Makes about 14 pints or 7 quarts of pork and beans.

She

She,

Do you have a great recipe for canning chili?

Karen

Default She, do you have a recipe?

[quote=A Simple Pine Box;916245]

She,

Do you have a great recipe for canning chili?

Karen

Not really. I just let the hubby make his chilli over the wood stove in a big cast iron dutch oven. We take out enough for a meal or two and then I can the rest up. I use the longest canning time by ingredient. Usually it's the time for the ground meat. That would be 75 minutes for pints and 90 minutes for quarts at 10 pounds of pressure at sea level.

She

Quote Originally Posted by SheWoff View Post
    Not really. I just let the hubby make his chilli over the wood stove in a big cast iron dutch oven. We take out enough for a meal or two and then I can the rest up. I use the longest canning time by ingredient. Usually it's the time for the ground meat. That would be 75 minutes for pints and 90 minutes for quarts at 10 pounds of pressure at sea level.

She
    ok, thanks for the info, want to try to can some of these kinds of meals

Karen

Default beans

Folks, you good people are making me hungry!! I'm going to try the recipes. they sound wonderful. Mostly I just use navy or great northen beans. I just soak them then add salt pork or ham onions and simmer till done. add skillet cornbread. One of my favorite meals