Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? about moss

Default ? about moss

Hey,

We had a very large red oak tree to fall in our yard. No harm was done. It couldn't of fell in a more perfect spot. Not hallow, or rotten. Don't know why it fell. Anyway......

Am cutting up what I can for firewood, the base up to about 15' is too large for me to do anything with, so will have to hire someone to haul it off. Down to where I could handle it, is 32"-44" in diameter. Talk about having a fun time splitting that, o yeah. LOL

That's to point out this tree is very old.

Now to my question:

This thing has got a lot of moss on it, ferns growing in it, etc.... In some places it's an inch thick. As I split it, I'm peeling moss off like an onion.

I've got a big pile of it off to the side.

Was wondering if I can use that in a compost pile?

I've got piles of saw chips, from where I've been using the chain saws, and plan on gathering that up to go into the pile.

It's the oddest thing. There is no rot, puckyness, no hallow places either in the center of the tree, or the limbs. Makes for some great firewood.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Adams View Post
    Absolutely compost that moss, and any bark chunks and sawdust piles left over from your efforts.

Your microbes will love you for it.
    Thanks Sam!

There are some things you really shouldn't put in a compost pile, and wanted to make sure this wasn't one of them. But I have to admit, as I peel it off, there have been red worms in the mix. That's actually what got me to thinking about it.

For sure on the pieces of wood. You know there are small pieces of wood generated when splitting. I save them for kindling. Use pine cones, and dryer sheets, and lint from the dryer for tinder. Put the kindling in buckets and store them out of the weather.

'Sides you don't get much appreciation these days, so if I can accommodate some microbes, I'd be glad to.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

In my experience, after all the trials, successes, blood and tears.....
    I have found that there is nothing quite so moving as a microbial standing ovation.

I got to admit, it does bring a smile to my face. LOL

The guy came and got the base of the tree yesterday. They had to cut it in 3 pieces. Using a chainsaw with a 24 inch bar. He used a Bobcat, with ....hooks (?) over the top of the bucket to grab it. Cut it the width of the bucket. He was toting the back tires as he drove down the drive way.

He had some trouble with the root part. There wasn't what you would call a root ball. The tree broke off right at the ground level, so it only had like a swelled place on the end.

He had like a regular tree/brush truck, and when they left, you could look at the tires, and tell he was carrying a heavy load.

The yard looks really good, and we don't have ruts all over the place as we would, if I had figured out how, and where, to drag that thing off. He only charged 300.00 which I thought was a good price. Considering cutting a whole tree down, and taking it off, runs about 1500.00.

We get about 40 degrees out of our wood heater. We can play with that some, but that is a good estimate at any given time. So when the temps run into the lower 20's and teens, (+ 40 = 60 or less) or temps run into 40's or greater (+ 40 = 80 or greater) we use a propane wall heater to supplement. Mostly just one brick. One brick running day and night will burn 100 gallons in 3 months. 3 bricks will burn 100 gallons in one month.

The propane gas co. runs sales in the summer. So last year in May we bought 100 gallons. It was down to 15% a couple of days ago, so I called and asked how much was propane. The lady told me it was 2.19 a gallon, but since I bought mine under the booking agreement last May I could still get it at 1.79. I told her to fill the tank. When the guy brought it out, he wanted to tell me it was 2.19 and told him what the lady at the office had said, and he double checked and said I was right. He said it was a good thing I had done that because they were hearing the booking agreements would be going for 1.99 a gallon.

So I've been out an unexpected, almost 600.00 the last couple of days.

I hope those microbes party down, cuz I may have to sell tomatoes to make up for it.

Which I hope to get in the ground this weekend. Everything is running late this year.

BTW I asked the guy if it was alright with him if I bought a Bobcat, and he said, "Sure go ahead." So I hollered at Sherree and told her, "This guy said it was OK if I bought a Bobcat." All I got from Sherree was her bad eyes.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Adams View Post
    Try leaving a large chunk of meat on the porch tonight.....and be ready inside the door with a noose.

You may catch a bobcat for free !!
    LOL good one. And I thought I was being slick. LOL

In all truth that might actually work, since my neighbor saw one standing at my mailbox, late one night, last year.

Course you know I'd run right out there and grab that thing too.

I'd be like John down in Amit County, MS, who went 'coon hunting with the guys one night. Ol' Brummy treed a coon, and they shined a light up in that tree, and was going to shoot that 'coon out. Ol' John wouldn't hear of it. He told 'em he'd climb the tree and poke that 'coon out and he could fight that pack of dogs, and walk away, or not. John was all about being fair.

Well John climbed that tree, and poked the 'coon, but it wasn't a 'coon, it was one of them super charged wild cats, what you, and I are calling a Bobcat. The most awful commotion broke out up in that tree, and finally John called down to the Colonel. Told him he was just going to have to shoot up in this tree. The Colonel yelled he couldn't do that he might hit John. John yelled back to go ahead and shoot anyway, one of 'em had to have some relief.

According to Jerry Clower that is a true story.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    LOL good one. And I thought I was being slick. LOL

In all truth that might actually work, since my neighbor saw one standing at my mailbox, late one night, last year.

Course you know I'd run right out there and grab that thing too.

I'd be like John down in Amit County, MS, who went 'coon hunting with the guys one night. Ol' Brummy treed a coon, and they shined a light up in that tree, and was going to shoot that 'coon out. Ol' John wouldn't hear of it. He told 'em he'd climb the tree and poke that 'coon out and he could fight that pack of dogs, and walk away, or not. John was all about being fair.

Well John climbed that tree, and poked the 'coon, but it wasn't a 'coon, it was one of them super charged wild cats, what you, and I are calling a Bobcat. The most awful commotion broke out up in that tree, and finally John called down to the Colonel. Told him he was just going to have to shoot up in this tree. The Colonel yelled he couldn't do that he might hit John. John yelled back to go ahead and shoot anyway, one of 'em had to have some relief.

According to Jerry Clower that is a true story.

Great story.

About your tree.....It may be the drought 2 years ago combined with the super wet spring this year that did the old tree in. I remember living in Alabama when the remains of Hurricane Ivan came through. We got record rainfall up on our mountain. A year later, we had big, healthy looking hardwoods falling across the road up there. Sometimes the weather just loosens the roots or rots the base of the tree.
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Quote Originally Posted by grower View Post
    Great story.

About your tree.....It may be the drought 2 years ago combined with the super wet spring this year that did the old tree in. I remember living in Alabama when the remains of Hurricane Ivan came through. We got record rainfall up on our mountain. A year later, we had big, healthy looking hardwoods falling across the road up there. Sometimes the weather just loosens the roots or rots the base of the tree.
    Yeah, grower, I think it was all of those things you mentioned combined with tornadoes and straight line winds that blew through our area that morning. The tree was already leaning a bit, and fell later that night. The drought of two years ago killed my only Dogwood tree, and most of our berry vines and bushes along with a few fruit trees.